Brightness flickering while Freesync is enabled

Hey guys,

I just got my very first gaming rig set up and am extremely happy with everything, except for one thing, which is driving me absolutely crazy. Searching online, it appears this problem is extremely common, although it seems to occur more often on curved VA panels. The thing that I am dealing with is brightness flickering whenever I play games with Freesync enabled. This is a huge let down for me, as one of the reasons I spent so much on my first gaming rig was to be able to take advantage of AMD's Freesync technology.

I have been scouring the internet for the past few days trying every possible solution to this, but so far nothing has worked. These are the details of my rig:

• [GPU] RX 5700 XT

• [CPU] Ryzen 5 3600

• [Motherboard] Asus TUF X570 Pro Wifi

• [RAM] Corsair RGB PRO 16gb 3200

• [PSU] SeaSonic 650W FOCUS 80+ Gold

• [Storage] 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

The monitor that I am using with this rig is an MSI Optix MAG241C. It is a curved VA panel.

Some people have said this is a driver issue. Some people have said this is a monitor issue. Some people have said this is an issue with the way Freesync technology works in general, and cannot be fixed. I do have a high-quality VESA certified DisplayPort cable coming in the next few days which I'll try out, but unfortunately, I do not think that will work, as others I've spoken to with my exact monitor + issue have said that using a different DisplayPort cable didn't fix it.

Here are all the things I have done to try and fix it:

I'm at the end of my wits at this point... if someone can help me fix this issue, I will literally PayPal you $20. I'm not kidding.

monitor side issue from what i know, would RMA the monitor under the pretence that adaptive sync is not functioning properly. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

monitor side issue from what i know, would RMA the monitor under the pretence that adaptive sync is not functioning properly. 

Oh wow ok, have you heard of this problem happening in other curved VA panels? It's seeming to happen a lot with those kinds of panels as opposed to TN or IPS...

Just now, BetThisOnesFree said:

Oh wow ok, have you heard of this problem happening in other curved VA panels? It's seeming to happen a lot with those kinds of panels as opposed to TN or IPS...

iirc its just cheap freesync implementation that fails from time to time. there are a lot of cheap VA panels atm and its probably why its more widespread among those. also they usually arent super bright panels which doesnt help. 

also worth noting that some people are more sensetive to the issue than others. 

id give it another go, you might just have received a bad unit. which is annoying, but does happen from time to time. could also try a different paneltype. im assuming you have a 23,8" VA panel

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

iirc its just cheap freesync implementation that fails from time to time. there are a lot of cheap VA panels atm and its probably why its more widespread among those. also they usually arent super bright panels which doesnt help. 

also worth noting that some people are more sensetive to the issue than others. 

id give it another go, you might just have received a bad unit. which is annoying, but does happen from time to time. could also try a different paneltype. im assuming you have a 23,8" VA panel

Oh ok, yea I'm gonna wait until my VESA certified display port cable arrives and then try that out... but to be honest, I really doubt that will work, because I spoke to a few other people who had the same monitor and problem as me and they said it didnt...

So I take it that when you get a Freesync monitor, since the quality control is not as enforced as G Sync monitors, you kind of take a "gamble" at getting a good one, whereas with G Sync monitors, you're pretty much guaranteed to get one with no issues every time... is that a correct statement?

35 minutes ago, BetThisOnesFree said:

so I take it that when you get a Freesync monitor, since the quality control is not as enforced as G Sync monitors, you kind of take a "gamble" at getting a good one, whereas with G Sync monitors, you're pretty much guaranteed to get one with no issues every time... is that a correct statement?

its correct in the way that Gsync is expencive to the point that the QC of a more expencive monitor is allready implemented. 

you wouldnt find the issues present on more expencive freesync monitors. 

and getting the Gsync badge is pretty hard, so there come some guarantees with that.