Is the laptop I'm looking at sufficient for my needs?

I made a post yesterday asking for recommendations on a workstation laptop. Well I went through my company's purchasing site and found an HP ZBOOK 17 G5 with the following specs:

Intel Core I7-8850H

16GB RAM (I believe its 2400 MHz but the website doesnt actually say)

1 TB Flash storage (2 x 512 GB SSD's)

Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630

Windows 10 Professional

The purpose of this workstation would be to edit hours of footage captured by a drone (we record in 720p). It would be nothing major, just cutting excess footage to capture key moments and put graphics on screen to illustrate key points.

My question is, is this machine sufficient or is it a little bit overkill?

12 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I would opt for something with dedicated graphics.

Yep. And be careful getting anything labelled "workstation", it usually entails a huge markup. Anything with a 6 core CPU, 16GB RAM and a dedicated card would be fine.

15 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I would opt for something with dedicated graphics.

its 720P. i edit 1080P with After effect using i7 ivy bridge , 16GB ram and old HDD.

for me 16GB is necessary for smooth Ram Preview and render speed. the SSD is not overkill since its hours of footage. also i7 8850H kinda way beyond 720P editing. but okay actually since its long render proccess. and way future proof.. and Discrete GPU is enough too.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

If you don't need to render “on sight”, get a desktop PC with some ryzen CPU and a 2-4GB VRAM GPU. You can also buy a non workstation laptop on the side, for around 600$ you could get some i5 8250u and a mx130 or similar, which is still fine for up to mediocre 720p "cutting". Rendering takes longer obviously, but for that you got the desktop PC, which will be like 2 to 3x faster than any laptop you can buy in rendering speeds.

Combined both will cost you about the same as the laptop w/ a DGPU.
External drives are also fast enough, even HDD's to store & edit the captured data on.

If you do cut & render on sight, get a laptop with a dedicated GPU, even if it's just a MX130, it matters.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

4 hours ago, BelacTheGamer said:

I made a post yesterday asking for recommendations on a workstation laptop. Well I went through my company's purchasing site and found an HP ZBOOK 17 G5 with the following specs:

Intel Core I7-8850H

16GB RAM (I believe its 2400 MHz but the website doesnt actually say)

1 TB Flash storage (2 x 512 GB SSD's)

Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630

Windows 10 Professional

The purpose of this workstation would be to edit hours of footage captured by a drone (we record in 720p). It would be nothing major, just cutting excess footage to capture key moments and put graphics on screen to illustrate key points.

My question is, is this machine sufficient or is it a little bit overkill?

Firstly you need dedicated graphics for this kind of work. Second these Vpro proccessors are unneccessarily more expensive than their non Vpro counterparts so get an 8750H or 9750H.