Need Help! Critical Process Died and NVMe ssd not detected in BIOS

StuMi

I recently build a PC and I am facing some issues with the system. Here is some parts info about my system:

When I don't running GPU intensive activities, such as YouTube or even some games, the system is working just fine. But when I playing PUBG for about 10 mins, the system will crash with the black screen. After it automatically reboot, it goes directly into the BIOS setting, and the NVMe ssd boot device was not detected anymore. I have to switch PSU off and on to let mobo re detect m.2 drive, then everything is just boot fine.

After I dig into this situation, I find out I could reproduce this by running the AIDA64 stress GPU test, and the system crash with the black screen in 8-15 mins after the test start. I tried to connect two separated PCIe cable from PSU instead of daisy chain 2 x 8 pin, reinstalled the m.2 drive, the system will still crash during the stress test. I think it happens when GPU reach it's maximum boost clock for 10 mins then the system just crashed. 

Also I tried to rollback the graphic driver to 431.60 and run the same stress test, the system now crashes with BSOD with the critical process died message. But it also boots directly into BIOS and lost the boot device. Later I update to the latest driver 436.48, the stress test will crash again with the black screen and reboot to BIOS.

I think I have all the driver update to the latest version, windows version is 1903, and the MOBO BIOS version is 1001. No CPU OC, only RAM in XMP setting(I tried without XMP setting, the stress test also crash the system),  no software GPU OC. Also, I have all the software monitor software verified there is no overheat on CPU or GPU during the stress test. GPU was stable around 60 degrees during the stress test. I really have no idea what is going wrong on my system since I don't have any parts I could replace for testing purposes. I do notice right before the system crash, AIDA64 won't able to display m.2 driver temperature anymore, and the MP600 checkbox also gone in temperature graph. But I feel like this might be either GPU failure, SSD failure or software related issue. Could anyone help with my situation, otherwise I don't even know which parts should I return or maybe just wait for driver updates? 

Thanks!

Update: 

After reflash the 1001 BIOS, the system will still crash during the stress GPU test. 

Also verified that playing the game like Nine Parchments, the GPU clock only around 600 MHz during game, for 20 mins the system is still working fine. No sign of crashing whatsoever. However, a game like PUBG or GPU stress test, which GPU clock was around 1980 MHz, the system will crash after 10 mins. 

Update: 

Swap the gpu today and the crash issue was still happening on a gtx1070 card. It most likely not gpu hardware issue. Asked the replacement for the Corsair mp600 ssd, still need wait and see if new ssd solve the issue. 
I just curious If it’s a MOBO issue? Should I replace the mobo as well?

I think you're going to have to eliminate the faulty hardware.

Do you keep an eye on temps when stress testing? If so what are the temperatures?

EDIT: I see temps are 60, that's acceptable.

I would try to DDU drivers and install new ones.

It sound like you bios need to reflash,Bro,or you drvie is gonna died.

After the first time system crash during PUBG, I even reinstall the windows system. All the AIDA64 test was done on fresh installed windows. Also, I have iCUE in the background all the time, I was doubt if iCUE dashboard monitor crash the system. However, I do keep it at background since I have AIO, ram, and commander pro controlled by iCUE.

I have MSI afterburner opened during the stress test, but I only use it to display GPU clock and temp or OSD if I test in PUBG.

As I said in the post, I tried two versions of the graphic driver, the latest one crash with a black screen, but the older version(the one automatically install by windows) crash with BSOD and have error message critical process died. Both versions under stress test lead to reboot into BIOS and NVMe SSD boot device not detected anymore.

Since 2080 super is still quite new, I don't have much driver version choice right now, should I try even older version than windows auto-installed one?

I already update to the latest BIOS for my MOBO, or should I flash back to older BIOS?

EDIT: OK, I am trying to reflash the same version of bios now and see if the issue still here. 

Update: After reflash the same 1001 BIOS, system will still crash around 10 mins after AIDA64 stress GPU test start.

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2019 at 3:01 AM, StuMi said:

I already update to the latest BIOS for my MOBO, or should I flash back to older BIOS?

EDIT: OK, I am trying to reflash the same version of bios now and see if the issue still here. 

Update: After reflash the same 1001 BIOS, system will still crash around 10 mins after AIDA64 stress GPU test start.

Hello! I am running into nearly IDENTICAL issues with my system which is NEARLY identical to yours.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/ WIFI - ATX

Processor: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 4.6 GHz

Processor Cooling: [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR EPIC 240 Supercooler

Memory: 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x16GB)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6

Power Supply: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA P2 80+ PLATINUM

Operating System Drive: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

Hard Drive Bay Two: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

Hard Drive Bay Three: 1TB Samsung SSD

Hard Drive Bay Four: 2TB HHD WD Scratch Disk for Cloud Services

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit, OEM

Did you ever figure out what the issue was causing it?

On 10/8/2019 at 11:46 PM, StuMi said:

and the NVMe ssd boot device was not detected anymore. I have to switch PSU off and on to let mobo re detect m.2 drive, then everything is just boot fine.

17 hours ago, tr1age said:

Hello! I am running into nearly IDENTICAL issues with my system which is NEARLY identical to yours.

Sounds like it might be a faulty VRM that fried some of the PCIe lanes on the CPU. I had that happen right before the VRMs on my motherboard fried completely, taking my CPU with it. (not the same motherboard or CPU though, and I was overvolting by a LOT)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

2 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Sounds like it might be a faulty VRM that fried some of the PCIe lanes on the CPU. I had that happen right before the VRMs on my motherboard fried completely, taking my CPU with it. (not the same motherboard or CPU though, and I was overvolting by a LOT)

So just to be clear there is ZERO overclocking going on on this system. So not sure that is it.

12 hours ago, tr1ageNYC said:

So just to be clear there is ZERO overclocking going on on this system. So not sure that is it.

Doesn't have to have overclocking for the VRMs to overheat or be faulty. The default voltages for some of the AMD CPUs are wrong on a lot of motherboards. I was getting 1.425v average default SoC for my 2400g on a B450M Steel Legend, (I upped it to 1.45 to get a stable OC on the Vega ? and it fried both the VRMs and the CPU, starting with the PCIe lanes connecting to the NVMe drive. The drive is fine, but the other two got RMAs. Replacement motherboard works perfect with the 2600 I got to replace the 2400g. (despite the damage I caused not even being covered under the warranty, they decided to upgrade me to a better CPU instead of denying coverage, and yes I did tell them that I caused the damage and how) When I got the replacement motherboard, they even said that it shouldn't've fried the CPU or the VRMs unless I went over 1.5v, so it was still technically faulty VRMs.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

On 11/17/2019 at 1:09 AM, BTGbullseye said:

Doesn't have to have overclocking for the VRMs to overheat or be faulty. The default voltages for some of the AMD CPUs are wrong on a lot of motherboards. I was getting 1.425v average default SoC for my 2400g on a B450M Steel Legend, (I upped it to 1.45 to get a stable OC on the Vega ? and it fried both the VRMs and the CPU, starting with the PCIe lanes connecting to the NVMe drive. The drive is fine, but the other two got RMAs. Replacement motherboard works perfect with the 2600 I got to replace the 2400g. (despite the damage I caused not even being covered under the warranty, they decided to upgrade me to a better CPU instead of denying coverage, and yes I did tell them that I caused the damage and how) When I got the replacement motherboard, they even said that it shouldn't've fried the CPU or the VRMs unless I went over 1.5v, so it was still technically faulty VRMs.

Ok but I didn't do any of this and still getting these random BSODs.

I replaced the motherboard.

I reinstalled windows.

And still on idle or light loads I get BSOD randomly with many different types and when it looks for the M.2 drive with OS on it it is gone uintil I hard restart it then it is back. And rinse repeat.

45 minutes ago, tr1age said:

Ok but I didn't do any of this and still getting these random BSODs.

I replaced the motherboard.

I reinstalled windows.

And still on idle or light loads I get BSOD randomly with many different types and when it looks for the M.2 drive with OS on it it is gone uintil I hard restart it then it is back. And rinse repeat.

So you swapped the motherboard, but the damage to the CPU and/or the drive remains. Just switching the one component didn't fix it for me either, I had to replace both.

5 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

So you swapped the motherboard, but the damage to the CPU and/or the drive remains. Just switching the one component didn't fix it for me either, I had to replace both.

I tested extensively the mp600 drive and no issues. I even had zero BSODs on a fresh windows install for a few hours running HDD scan. 

So unless it is the CPU it is a mystery to me at this point. The CPU seems to be acting fine. Did you have this same setup? 

39 minutes ago, tr1age said:

Did you have this same setup? 

Not identical, just similar. When the VRMs for the SoC voltage are bad, they can cause permanent damage to the CPU. It causes temperamental issues that match up with what you're experiencing.

4 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Not identical, just similar. When the VRMs for the SoC voltage are bad, they can cause permanent damage to the CPU. It causes temperamental issues that match up with what you're experiencing.

Would it spit a bluescreen that says System Service Exception and then when it reboots the mp600 is missing, causing a bios loop, until I hard restart?

3 minutes ago, tr1age said:

Would it spit a bluescreen that says System Service Exception and then when it reboots the mp600 is missing, causing a bios loop, until I hard restart?

Yes. It shouldn't have issues with SATA drives though, only NVMe.

• 3 months later...

I now this one is 'old' but I was searching for a solution to this because I'm having the EXACT same issue that the OP described.  I only get SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION errors while gaming, and it reboots to that 'bootmgr missing' message, and I have to manually restart the PSU. I'm running an Asus ROG Strix X570-E with a Ryzen 3700x, 32 GB of G.Skill TridentZ RGB, a 1080 Ti, and a AData SX8200 NVME.

I've tried re-installing windows and I'm still getting it...which is pointing to some kind of hardware issue. Unfortunately I don't have any extra hardware to test.

• 3 months later...

I have same exact problem, crashing while playing other game such as outer world then bsod with same exact code...
Im using Ryzen 2600X with RTX 2060 and galax rgb ram, cheap stuff

• 1 month later...

Hi having the same issue with my current system. Was working perfectly for 9 months, until I started playing Warzone and the BSODs happened. After several attempts, my ssd stopped being detected altogether. 

I upgraded my mb to a msi tomahawk x570 wifi (better vrms compared to my old x570 tuf gaming), and my cpu is still not detecting the nvme ssd altogether in the bios. Have any of you found fixes to your issues?

Would I have to RMA both my CPU and SSD?

I was previously using a Ryzen 3900x, RTX 2070 Super, Corsair Force MP510, Asus TUF x570 wifi, 2 x 8GB G-skillz trident 3600mhz RAM. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge as I am a newbie to computer building and assembly.

15 minutes ago, PhantomMarine29 said:

Hi having the same issue with my current system. Was working perfectly for 9 months, until I started playing Warzone and the BSODs happened. After several attempts, my ssd stopped being detected altogether. 

I upgraded my mb to a msi tomahawk x570 wifi (better vrms compared to my old x570 tuf gaming), and my cpu is still not detecting the nvme ssd altogether in the bios. Have any of you found fixes to your issues?

Would I have to RMA both my CPU and SSD?

I was previously using a Ryzen 3900x, RTX 2070 Super, Corsair Force MP510, Asus TUF x570 wifi, 2 x 8GB G-skillz trident 3600mhz RAM. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge as I am a newbie to computer building and assembly.

Yes, I would suggest RMA on the CPU. AMD is pretty good about it too, so you shouldn't have much trouble with the RMA process. May even end up with a better CPU if they're low on stock...