980ti underclocking in CS:GO

Hello,

Recently (last 2 weeks or so) my 980ti G1 gaming has started to underclock in CS:GO. I run CS at 1440p and instead of getting 200-220 fps, I'm getting frame drops in  the 80's. GPU temps never exceed 54C.

Using MSI afterburner, I've been closely watching my core and mem clocks. When I am away from my computer, it idles at 1152 core 3305 mem. This is on purpose. When i get into a CS  game, the clock will jump to 1350, then fall to 600-800, then jump back up and so on.... This is only when I load into a map.

Things I've tried:

rolling back drivers ~ did not work but stopped the "crash to random colored screen" problem I was having

re-seating GPU and power cables

Running memtest and speccy

overclocking to see if it would stay at a stable overclock

checking if there is a memory sink

I'm honestly at a loss... any help would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:

17-4790k not oc'd

980ti G1 Gaming

HyperX Fury 16GB@1866

MSI SLI Krait (Z97s edition)

SSD Boot drive(CS is installed on this)

Win10

EVGA Supernova G2 750w PSU

Have you tried to set prefer maximum performance in Nvidia Control panel? adaptive_performance.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Have you tried to set prefer maximum performance in Nvidia Control panel? adaptive_performance.jpg

Yep, first thing I did. I also took out the gpu and tried csgo on integrated graphics. There was no crash(random colored screen on each monitor) that typically happens when the gpu under locks for too long. I had the idea of gpu sag(remember backplates are super heavy on 3 fan 980tis) causing the pci-e slot getting messed up. I switched what slot the gpu was plugged into. I played CS for about 1.5 hours and there was no crash, but the under locking continued.

Tried removing Afterburner? Just for testing. It sometimes messes some things up, easier to remove for a test than to go over all the possible faults.

ofc restart after that.

I edit my posts more often than not

22 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Tried removing Afterburner? Just for testing. It sometimes messes some things up, easier to remove for a test than to go over all the possible faults.

ofc restart after that.

I can try that, but the crashing happened before I installed afterburner. It will be a few hours till I'm back at my desk.

To make sure CSGO wasn't the issue, i ran The Witcher 3 and used GPUZ to monitor clocks and temps. My 980ti mem and core speeds still looked like a mountain range. When I opened Afterburner and tried to apply a safe overclock (power limit to 110%, +30 on core +50 on mem) I immediately crashed to two colored screens. Is this psu not delivering enough power? GPU? I'm at a loss

I ran a heaven benchmark while using HWINFO to monitor the voltageds across my psu rails. The power delivery seems to be fine across all rails, however the gpu core voltage never hit 1V, GPU Clock hit a max of 1050MHz, and Mem clock didn't exceed 966.8MHz

24 minutes ago, reb830 said:

I ran a heaven benchmark while using HWINFO to monitor the voltageds across my psu rails. The power delivery seems to be fine across all rails, however the gpu core voltage never hit 1V, GPU Clock hit a max of 1050MHz, and Mem clock didn't exceed 966.8MHz

i would use DDU to completely remove your nvidia drivers in safe mode and re-install them after...i think something like that happened to me once and i think that solved it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i would use DDU to completely remove your nvidia drivers in safe mode and re-install them after...i think something like that happened to me once and i think that solved it.

already did this, didnt work

What nvidia driver version are you using? And did you update driver and then getting the crashes?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

If all else fails RMA the card, you'll most likely end up getting a 1080ti back which would be a great upgrade!

4 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

What nvidia driver version are you using? And did you update driver and then getting the crashes?

It crashes on both 436.48 and 436.02. Is it fine to go further than a month back?

1 hour ago, jojothejoker said:

If all else fails RMA the card, you'll most likely end up getting a 1080ti back which would be a great upgrade!

Crossing my fingers if  I end up having to RMA!

On 10/10/2019 at 11:13 AM, reb830 said:

Crossing my fingers if  I end up having to RMA!

Ya at this point go RMA my friend :)