best business Notebook?

soo the company i work for is rather small and i have good connection to my boss.

usually he outfits all employes with Terra (a local 'manufacturer' more like rebranding stuff) hardware (notebooks, pcs, monitors basically everything) 

i assume he has some deal with them and he like the security feeling knowing they are close in case anything happens. 

but im trying to convince him to let me choose my own notebook since im in line for an upgrade anyway.

i had my eye on dell specifically the Dell Vostro 15 7590 

but i thought id ask around if you guys got (better) alternatives/ideas what would be a good option.

mainly i do programming but i would like some sort of dedicated GPU just in case something comes up. display is secondary as long as its not super dim tn.

also obviously it needs to look somewhat neutral and professional. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

ThinkPad. Modern Dell laptops, including the business lines, have issues. Prematurely dead batteries, dead WiFi cards, swollen/explodey batteries, dead chargers, bad power connections on mobos, terrible cooling, crap build quality, bad displays...just go to r/Dell and see how many people have a dead XPS this week. If you stick to the ThinkPad T or X lineups, you're going to have a hard time finding a dud aside from the 40 series (Haswell, bad keyboard and trackpad) and the 70 series (not bad, just poor value compared to the 60 and 80).

ThinkPads have always had a dedicated GPU option, either the MX150 or 940MX, or the Quadro-based Optimus package, but you shouldn't be going that far back in 2019. The 766p TN panel offered as base on most ThinkPads is outdated and not great for much of anything, but the 1080p FHD IPS panels are really nice and not a huge jump in price. And if you're looking for neutral and professional, there is nothing more bland than a ThinkPad.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

soo the company i work for is rather small and i have good connection to my boss.

usually he outfits all employes with Terra (a local 'manufacturer' more like rebranding stuff) hardware (notebooks, pcs, monitors basically everything) 

i assume he has some deal with them and he like the security feeling knowing they are close in case anything happens. 

but im trying to convince him to let me choose my own notebook since im in line for an upgrade anyway.

i had my eye on dell specifically the Dell Vostro 15 7590 

but i thought id ask around if you guys got (better) alternatives/ideas what would be a good option.

mainly i do programming but i would like some sort of dedicated GPU just in case something comes up. display is secondary as long as its not super dim tn.

also obviously it needs to look somewhat neutral and professional. 

I recommend you this one:

ThinkPad X1 Extreme

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

On 10/7/2019 at 5:45 PM, aisle9 said:

ThinkPad. Modern Dell laptops, including the business lines, have issues. Prematurely dead batteries, dead WiFi cards, swollen/explodey batteries, dead chargers, bad power connections on mobos, terrible cooling, crap build quality, bad displays...just go to r/Dell and see how many people have a dead XPS this week. If you stick to the ThinkPad T or X lineups, you're going to have a hard time finding a dud aside from the 40 series (Haswell, bad keyboard and trackpad) and the 70 series (not bad, just poor value compared to the 60 and 80).

ThinkPads have always had a dedicated GPU option, either the MX150 or 940MX, or the Quadro-based Optimus package, but you shouldn't be going that far back in 2019. The 766p TN panel offered as base on most ThinkPads is outdated and not great for much of anything, but the 1080p FHD IPS panels are really nice and not a huge jump in price. And if you're looking for neutral and professional, there is nothing more bland than a ThinkPad.

didnt know dell was that bad. i always thought them to be really good when it comes to that stuff.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, TensorVortex said:

Thinkpad or dell ones look p good for business. Other just looks like toys

i mean yeah the look decent but i wouldnt dismiss all the others.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:41 PM, Ultra Male said:

I recommend you this one:

ThinkPad X1 Extreme

well i looked at the x1 but i found the p1 to be a better choice for the money 

have a look 

https://skinflint.co.uk/lenovo-thinkpad-p1-g2-black-paint-20qt000hge-a2106244.html

that exact modell is like 400 bucks cheaper than the cheapest x1 extreme i could find and dont think i need a 4k display on it

22 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

I would go for a high end ThinkPad. Probably the best laptop you can get for that right now.

well ok i would totally be down for that but the price does make it quite hard to argue for. at around 2100 €  to 2600€ for the x1 extreme they are double the price of the dell vostro. idk

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

4 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

didnt know dell was that bad. i always thought them to be really good when it comes to that stuff.

The Latitude series is golden from XX00 through XX30 (6400, 6320, 6530 for example). That's assuming you don't mind carrying around a boat anchor of a 6420. Starting with the Haswell generation, Latitudes started to nose dive in quality. ThinkPads suffered the same fate, but to a much lesser degree, and many of the sins of the 40-series ThinkPads were absolved by the superb 50-series (Broadwell). Latitudes, on the other hand...let's just say I'm amazed by how hot and loud my 5490 gets just by running basic stuff like Excel sorts and bulk formatting in Word.

If you just want a brand new laptop that can do everything you're after, do it incredibly well and not have to pay the gaming premium, the ThinkPad P series is right up your alley. Use the Perks at Work login if you can to save a shit-ton of money. Check r/ThinkPad for more on how to do that...not sure it'll work in Germany, but what have you got to lose by trying?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.