RX Vega 64 upgrade from 1070 worth it?

Taako

I've got my eye on Red Dead Redemption 2 which is coming out later next month, and I was wondering whether or not I should upgrade my gpu. (I know the recommended specs haven't been released but it's fair to expect that it will be incredibly demanding). My current setup is a Ryzen 2600 with a 1070 with a 1440p monitor. I have a few leads on Vega 64 cards, so the upgrade cost (after selling my 1070) would be about 80$. Will that 80$ investment actually be worth it in terms of performance, or am I better off just sticking with my 1070? Thank you all in advance.

To be honest, I would wait for the game and reviews.  They did a good job with GTA V but that's no guarantee they'll do it again, and for all we know it'll be GTA IV all over again, and if that happens, you'll want to know ahead of time which hardware it is oddly and unexpectedly good or bad on before you go dropping extra cash on it.  Don't just check on release day either, give it a few weeks for everyone to get their optimized drivers out.  There can often be some significant changes in that early period, more than enough to tip a purchasing decision one way or another.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Whats the average price on the vega 64's you're looking at? Radeon 5700 cards are cheaper than v64 retail and perform the same if not a tiny bit better.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I would get the V64 because i like the card, but you should really wait and see what hardware works well before getting any as has already been said

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

As a vega 64 user, I do like the card allot and its a great card, but only if you get it for cheap. I got my Red Devil for 215£. 

if not Get a 5700Xt 

If you would get used vega 64 nitro+ or red devil for cheap, i would recommend it. I bought myself vega 64 nitro+ for 260 euros, it's a beast of a card that has insane memory overclock (1150mhz), and it draws no more than 200w. I'm really happy with a purchase.

Vega 64's used are the best value, at about $250-ish per card. You could run two used Vega 64's in crossfire for the price of one at retail... just sayin'. 110FPS avg. in the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark sounds pretty good to me (Vega 64 crossfire; about $500-ish used)