Restored old laptop to life. (High temps)

zindan

Hi, I was able to switch my old laptops hdd to a ssd ans it is working extremely well now. However when I play like games and stuff the cpu goes up to 80-100 C. 

I have opened the laptop completely and cleaned out the dust, but I am thinking if I should change the thermal paste or something? On average use it is at 50-60C 

Is everyrhing okay or should I do something? 
(The laptop is not for gaming, mainly study use but I would be happy if CPU temp never went above 80) 

here are some pictures. 

I really appreciate all help, thank you. 

5471FFB5-1976-4EA5-8509-6418A2279D4B.jpeg

81815054-64F5-431C-BB2D-4E9597273F6A.jpeg

C0F26569-554E-45D9-84E3-D50569046B3F.jpeg

if it's that old it would certainly benefit from a repaste.

either it will improve your temps, or nothing will change but at least the paste will be new and not dried out. wont get worse unless you apply it wrong

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

i mean, you could apply new thermal paste to the cpu?

it should help some? 90+ is pretty sketch

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

9 minutes ago, Arika S said:

either it will improve your temps, or nothing will change but at least the paste will be new and not dried out. wont get worse unless you apply it wrong

agreed. new thermal paste is a must for older laptops especially ones with dedicated graphics chips. 

1 hour ago, doomsriker said:

agreed. new thermal paste is a must for older laptops especially ones with dedicated graphics chips. 

1 hour ago, RelativeMono said:

i mean, you could apply new thermal paste to the cpu?

it should help some? 90+ is pretty sketch

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

I have applied paste many times on big computers but never on a laptop. It isn’t that different right? 

5 minutes ago, zindan said:

I have applied paste many times on big computers but never on a laptop. It isn’t that different right? 

Nope, pretty much identical. there wont be a heat spreader, but you follow the same process

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, zindan said:

pretty much the same yea. remove the screws, replace the paste and put them back. be extra careful when putting back on the cooler though. tighten down one screw a little than the opposite screw diagonally a little than the third a little than the opposite (last screw) a little. Finally gradually tighten all 4 down doing one turn for each one and going in a square until all are fully tight but not over tight (don't force it). laptops dont have cpu lids but rather exposed dies so this kind of over caution is advised. here is the teardown for your laptop:

Replacing really old, dried up thermal paste with some new paste can make a huge difference.

On my friend's laptop it went down 20 C at full load.

Applying thermal paste on bare dies I always use a piece of card to spread the paste to completely cover the die, before putting the heat pipe back on

Also don't mount the heat pipe too tight.

59 minutes ago, mach said:

Replacing really old, dried up thermal paste with some new paste can make a huge difference.

Applying thermal paste on bare dies I always use a piece of card to spread the paste to completely cover the die, before putting the heat pipe back on

Don't fuckjng spread it

Why do people still do this dumb shit?

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

23 hours ago, zindan said:

Hi, I was able to switch my old laptops hdd to a ssd ans it is working extremely well now. However when I play like games and stuff the cpu goes up to 80-100 C. 

I have opened the laptop completely and cleaned out the dust, but I am thinking if I should change the thermal paste or something? On average use it is at 50-60C 

Is everyrhing okay or should I do something? 
(The laptop is not for gaming, mainly study use but I would be happy if CPU temp never went above 80) 

here are some pictures. 

I really appreciate all help, thank you. 

5471FFB5-1976-4EA5-8509-6418A2279D4B.jpeg

81815054-64F5-431C-BB2D-4E9597273F6A.jpeg

C0F26569-554E-45D9-84E3-D50569046B3F.jpeg

That thing? Is not old. You should get a fresh thermal paste on the cpu. Seems a pretty good gaming pc during that era! Yep, you have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 2gigs! Graphics card! on a (I believe, this pc is from 2012-2014) laptop! COOOOOOL!!!!!!!

20 hours ago, mach said:

holy crap! i have an IBM thinkpad t43 pentium m 2ghz type 2668 hanging around. i should apply the new thermal paste. Yeah. I agree with that.