frametime issues when playin on 4k TV

Billy_Wellington

Good day, i  would very much love to play some games on PC at 4k, but have an issue i cant resolve and it bugs me. My graphic card is 1080ti and i connect it with HDMI cable to Philips OLED 803 TV, while i am able to properly select is as a monitor and run games on it, even with HDR enabled and displayed correctly(shadow of the tomb raider) i experience severe frame stutters, if i monitor it with msi afterburned and RTSS i could see that frametimes are all over the place, it can jump to as high as 60ms and drop back to 16ms. Observable stutter is present during gameplay, no matter if it is HDR or SDR (i tried The Surge 2 as well, it could be easier to explain with lack of bandwidth if it actually ran properly with SDR). My primary monitor is AOC 1440p 144hz G-Sync (and everything works just fine there) if it is any help, the HDMI cable i use as GPU to TV is the same i Use for PS4 Pro and it works there. Any suggestion would be very much welcome.

Right click somewhere on your desktop and click on display settings, scroll down and click on "advanced display settings" look for a section labeled refresh rate. Find out what that number is and get back to us.

When I played the latest tombraider at 4k on my 1080ti the framerates were lacking tbh. Had to turn down settings to get better fps. I have a 2080 ti now so it is better.  

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

When I played the latest tombraider at 4k on my 1080ti the framerates were lacking tbh. Had to turn down settings to get better fps. I have a 2080 ti now so it is better.  

it's not the framerates, it's frameties i have issues with! It happens even if i limit it at 30 fps.

3 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

Right click somewhere on your desktop and click on display settings, scroll down and click on "advanced display settings" look for a section labeled refresh rate. Find out what that number is and get back to us.

3840x2160

60hz

10 bit output

YCbCr422

HDR

Okay, open nvidia control panel and see what specs it lists for your display, make sure they match.

2 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

Okay, open nvidia control panel and see what specs it lists for your display, make sure they match.

They do match.

10bpc

YCbCr422

apparently theres a game monitor mode but im not sure if it affects the latency or just changes how it looks

Alright, have you verified that the cable you are using is HDMI 2.0 spec? 

Just now, spartaman64 said:

apparently theres a game monitor mode but im not sure if it affects the latency or just changes how it looks

tbh input latency is not what i worry about, there is definitely problems with frametimes right now.

Just now, Kered124 said:

Alright, have you verified that the cable you are using is HDMI 2.0 spec? 

at the very least it says so, and same cable works with PS4 PRO. Unfortunitely i have no other cable to test.

Alright, if it is labeled as HDMI 2.0 it should be alright. If you play a game and run task manager in the background, how does your GPU activity/ performance look? Is the card struggling too much to push the frame rate/ resolution you're asking of it?

9 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

Alright, if it is labeled as HDMI 2.0 it should be alright. If you play a game and run task manager in the background, how does your GPU activity/ performance look? Is the card struggling too much to push the frame rate/ resolution you're asking of it?

I am almost at 100% GPU usage, ofcourse 1080ti cannot handle 60 fps at maxed out 4k, but it never drops below 30 either.

Ugh. I think i have the issue resolved, at least for now.

I have made an application specific profile in NVIDIA control panel for Shadow of the Tomb Raider and noticed that it had global parameter for monitor setting set to "global" which in my case happens to be g-sync (because of primary monitor, and my TV obviously does not support it). I switched it to "fixed refresh rate", also enabled ultra low latency mode and locked the FPS at 30 with Riva Tuner - now FPS stays at 30 with 33.3ms frametime like it is supposed to be. Nothing bad is happening at least for now, the 4k is on and HDR is properly detected and displayed, one of those 3 things i've made helped for sure.