The State Of 5700 XT Drivers

MahtXL

After fighting with problem after problem i finally gave up after trying every driver and trick anyone could come up with. Put my old 390 back in. My findings are as follows.

Depth- (DX9) Solid 75 fps capped, max settings on 390. Same settings and fps cap on or off on 5700 XT, stutters, drops into the 30s, chugging.
Destiny 2- High textures, medium everything else, vsync on, 60 fps drops to 48 on the 390.  \    Max settings, res scale 125, vsync off, stutters, drops into the 30s. vsync on, playable, but will still drop to low 40s high 30s, very choppy image. (only 60 percent gpu usage at max settings 1080p, so its not struggling to run the game at all) on the 5700 XT
Fortnite- runs fine on both but the last 2 drivers have caused distant objects to flicker on 5700 XT, 390 does not suffer this issue with the same drivers.

Not to mention the screen flickering in BF3 and 4 on 5700 XT, watching any content on second monitor while gaming (yes hardware acceleration is off) causes the monitors to lose signal after flickering like crazy.
My PC refuses to restart or shut down via the windows options when running 5700 XT, no issues doing so on 390. The list goes on and on, Basically SOMETHING is terribly wrong with the AMD drivers for this card, and from my googling and forum jumping im not alone. (Though mentioning this on the AMD reddit causes a rage not seen since Anakin killed his own wife in episode 3 and screamed NOOOOOOOOO!)

The absolute WORST part is, in games where it doesnt give any issues, its an amazing gpu, BF1 ultra 120 fps capped, gta v average of 125 fps max settings, witcher 3 WITH HAIRWORKS ON, 60 fps solid on ultra. But there are just far to many games i personally play that give issues my old 390 does not. So im stuck waiting for a fix. Heres the issue.

Not once in any "known issues" section of an AMD drivers page has ANY of these issues been listed, despite seeing countless others suffering the same problems, it seems AMD is dead silent on the driver issues with the 5700 series, i guess not to muck up the PR for the thing since its selling like hot cakes.

My question is, based on past experience you have had with AMD and bad drivers for new cards, how much longer do i have to wait? Its been 2 months since launch, i spent 1 month suffering issue after issue personally before i tossed my old gpu back in to game in peace, so really how much damn longer do we have to wait for them to even give the courtesy of mentioning these issues in the patch notes as being worked on. 2 months in and NOT ONCE, have these major issues been addressed. They silently fixed the BSOD issue, ill give them that, but black screens and game flickering, and stuttering, and poor DX 9 performance, some games performing badly despite the card having enough power to tear through them etc all still exist after 2 months.

Should i just take the L and sell this card since my return period is up, or is there any small sliver of hope we get a fix BEFORE the December mega driver, because im sorry but waiting until December to use a card i bought at the end of August isnt acceptable. At all.

Cant buy a Rad 7, as they apparently have similar problems, every other AMD gpu is a downgrade outside of that, refuse to go Nvidia because i had similar and even worse driver issues with them, and they lack features i use on the AMD side daily (and i just cant stand their Windows XP style control panel personally) Theres also the price premium so i would be forced to drop a performance tier if i want to spend the same amount i did on the XT (600 cad)

I need some good news here, what was the single worst gpu launch for drivers outside of the 5700 series? And how long did it take them to fix those issues? Personally im giving them until November and then im seriously considering selling it. Ill wait for next summer and RDNA 2 and hopefully good drivers by then, but im not going to have a 600 dollar paper weight sitting around collecting dust, if they cant solve this after 3 months.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

Pretty sure Vega56/64 didn't really go that well either, the AIB that came out were meh and pricing was all over the place (at least in my market). I think it cost as much if not more than the RTX2060 while not performing any better (the V64, V56 loses to 2060 in just about every category)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

2 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Pretty sure Vega56/64 didn't really go that well either, the AIB that came out were meh and pricing was all over the place (at least in my market). I think it cost as much if not more than the RTX2060 while not performing any better (the V64, V56 loses to 2060 in just about every category)

How long did it take to make them at least perform properly? I didnt watch the vega launch or forums at that time much.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

1 minute ago, MahtXL said:

How long did it take to make them at least perform properly? I didnt watch the vega launch or forums at that time much.

Don't think Vega really had any issues apart from the reference blowers being shit (which isn't anything new tbh), it just got beaten pretty comprehensively by its direct price competitor (the RTX2060/70) while its supposed big brother the Radeon VII was too expensive and more useful to Macs than Windows

So yeah, perform properly, depends if you mean matching/beating its rivals, in which case it never really did. Perform to within spec? About 1-2 months once they got their heads out of their ass and sorted the drivers out, but I think it Vega was way worse in not only failing to deliver the performance expected but also the card straight up being unusable with anything but the factory drivers on launch day

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

11 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Don't think Vega really had any issues apart from the reference blowers being shit (which isn't anything new tbh), it just got beaten pretty comprehensively by its direct price competitor (the RTX2060/70) while its supposed big brother the Radeon VII was too expensive and more useful to Macs than Windows

So yeah, perform properly, depends if you mean matching/beating its rivals, in which case it never really did. Perform to within spec? About 1-2 months once they got their heads out of their ass and sorted the drivers out, but I think it Vega was way worse in not only failing to deliver the performance expected but also the card straight up being unusable with anything but the factory drivers on launch day

Guess hitting the 2 month mark almost 3 month mark with 5700 xt driver still being borked is par for the course with AMD? That explains the rage on the AMD reddit, they must all be used to it, i bought my 390 months after it actually came out, almost a year, and i remember the first month having minor issues, mostly not performing like it should/could, but it was sorted quickly and performance only got better with age the entire 4 years i owned it. This is the first GPU, and First AMD gpu for sure ive purchased so soon after launch, about a month after it came out i bought one. Good news is it sounds like were in the endgame now, and the 2 drivers due this month or the first driver of November should finally fix navi, if history with vega is anything to go off. Sucks ill be using a 390 for another month and a bit, but surely they cant leave the drivers in this piss poor state forever, considering how many of these things have sold.

6 minutes ago, MahtXL said:

Guess hitting the 2 month mark almost 3 month mark with 5700 xt driver still being borked is par for the course with AMD? That explains the rage on the AMD reddit, they must all be used to it, i bought my 390 months after it actually came out, almost a year, and i remember the first month having minor issues, mostly not performing like it should/could, but it was sorted quickly and performance only got better with age the entire 4 years i owned it. This is the first GPU, and First AMD gpu for sure ive purchased so soon after launch, about a month after it came out i bought one. Good news is it sounds like were in the endgame now, and the 2 drivers due this month or the first driver of November should finally fix navi, if history with vega is anything to go off. Sucks ill be using a 390 for another month and a bit, but surely they cant leave the drivers in this piss poor state forever, considering how many of these things have sold.

They at least have a track record of fixing it I guess ?‍♂️

I'm waiting for any Xmas sales before blowing my money on the RX5700 myself to finally replace the aging GTX1060

1 minute ago, BigRom said:

They at least have a track record of fixing it I guess ?‍♂️

I'm waiting for any Xmas sales before blowing my money on the RX5700 myself to finally replace the aging GTX1060

Just a bit sad, i had nothing but positives to say about AMD after my 4 years with this 390, drivers were always great for it, barring the first few weeks i owned it. Just a bit miffed i spent 600 dollars to have a gpu perform worse in a lot of games compared to said 390, pretty irritating. But yeah positive side is sure every new AMD gpu launch has awful drivers, but hey in 2 to 3 months after launch it will perform properly, so cool i guess? Lesson learned, stay away from AMD gpus for at least 3 months post launch. At least by xmas ill have a pretty blazing fast gpu i guess...

1 hour ago, MahtXL said:

Did you reinstall windows?

Also the 19.9.3 driver just came out.

Only issues I've had are with ReLive, hopefully those have been fixed in 19.9.3

Though it seems to work fine in windows 7.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Did you reinstall windows?

Also the 19.9.3 driver just came out.

Only issues I've had are with ReLive, hopefully those have been fixed in 19.9.3

Though it seems to work fine in windows 7.

Im not going to re-install windows to fix an AMD driver issue, sorry, i dont feel like re-installing all the programs and software i installed on my windows boot drive. Thats not an acceptable fix. and i tried 19.9.3  Destiny and Depth both still ran like ass. Nothings fixed in that driver performance wise. Even if every flicker issue etc was fixed, the game still ran like actual ass. So not good enough.

Also the fact that im having no problems running my old 390 on the same windows install, same parts (cpu, mobo, ram), etc should be a massive red flag that the drivers and performance for 5700 XT are not up to par.

1 minute ago, MahtXL said:

Im not going to re-install windows to fix an AMD driver issue, sorry, i dont feel like re-installing all the programs and software i i

Should always reinstall windows with any major hardware change IMO, best to keep it on it's own tiny partition so it's easy to reinstall, like 150GB or less.

You could try running a linux USB to see if the problem really is windows. Easy to install steam then stress test it with some game.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Should always reinstall windows with any major hardware change IMO, best to keep it on it's own tiny partition so it's easy to reinstall, like 150GB or less.

You could try running a linux USB to see if the problem really is windows. Easy to install steam then stress test it with some game.

Literally who in their right mind re-installs windows everytime they upgrade their gpu? For a cpu and mobo change? Yeah sure maybe. GPU? No. Just no. And my windows is on a 120gb boot drive, i just dont feel like re-installing all my c drive programs, re pinning all my start bar things, going through all my settings again. No. This is on AMD to fix, not me.

2 minutes ago, MahtXL said:

Literally who in their right mind re-installs windows everytime they upgrade their gpu? For a cpu and mobo change? Yeah

Well I'm on the latest version of windows and had no issues on 19.8.2, aside from the ReLive ones.

but if it works fine under linux then you'll know windows(or maybe the drivers) are the issue and not the hardware itself.

Spoiler

I'm considering a 5700. 

8 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Well I'm on the latest version of windows and had no issues on 19.8.2, aside from the ReLive ones

Latest version of windows 10?

Cuz I can either pick up a 5700 or for 20€ more a 2060S and one of the points I keep thinking about is stability. 

11 hours ago, MahtXL said:

After fighting with problem after problem i finally gave up after trying every driver and trick anyone could come up with. Put my old 390 back in. My findings are as follows.

Depth- (DX9) Solid 75 fps capped, max settings on 390. Same settings and fps cap on or off on 5700 XT, stutters, drops into the 30s, chugging.
Destiny 2- High textures, medium everything else, vsync on, 60 fps drops to 48 on the 390.  \    Max settings, res scale 125, vsync off, stutters, drops into the 30s. vsync on, playable, but will still drop to low 40s high 30s, very choppy image. (only 60 percent gpu usage at max settings 1080p, so its not struggling to run the game at all) on the 5700 XT
Fortnite- runs fine on both but the last 2 drivers have caused distant objects to flicker on 5700 XT, 390 does not suffer this issue with the same drivers.

Not to mention the screen flickering in BF3 and 4 on 5700 XT, watching any content on second monitor while gaming (yes hardware acceleration is off) causes the monitors to lose signal after flickering like crazy.
My PC refuses to restart or shut down via the windows options when running 5700 XT, no issues doing so on 390. The list goes on and on, Basically SOMETHING is terribly wrong with the AMD drivers for this card, and from my googling and forum jumping im not alone. (Though mentioning this on the AMD reddit causes a rage not seen since Anakin killed his own wife in episode 3 and screamed NOOOOOOOOO!)

The absolute WORST part is, in games where it doesnt give any issues, its an amazing gpu, BF1 ultra 120 fps capped, gta v average of 125 fps max settings, witcher 3 WITH HAIRWORKS ON, 60 fps solid on ultra. But there are just far to many games i personally play that give issues my old 390 does not. So im stuck waiting for a fix. Heres the issue.

Not once in any "known issues" section of an AMD drivers page has ANY of these issues been listed, despite seeing countless others suffering the same problems, it seems AMD is dead silent on the driver issues with the 5700 series, i guess not to muck up the PR for the thing since its selling like hot cakes.

My question is, based on past experience you have had with AMD and bad drivers for new cards, how much longer do i have to wait? Its been 2 months since launch, i spent 1 month suffering issue after issue personally before i tossed my old gpu back in to game in peace, so really how much damn longer do we have to wait for them to even give the courtesy of mentioning these issues in the patch notes as being worked on. 2 months in and NOT ONCE, have these major issues been addressed. They silently fixed the BSOD issue, ill give them that, but black screens and game flickering, and stuttering, and poor DX 9 performance, some games performing badly despite the card having enough power to tear through them etc all still exist after 2 months.

Should i just take the L and sell this card since my return period is up, or is there any small sliver of hope we get a fix BEFORE the December mega driver, because im sorry but waiting until December to use a card i bought at the end of August isnt acceptable. At all.

Cant buy a Rad 7, as they apparently have similar problems, every other AMD gpu is a downgrade outside of that, refuse to go Nvidia because i had similar and even worse driver issues with them, and they lack features i use on the AMD side daily (and i just cant stand their Windows XP style control panel personally) Theres also the price premium so i would be forced to drop a performance tier if i want to spend the same amount i did on the XT (600 cad)

I need some good news here, what was the single worst gpu launch for drivers outside of the 5700 series? And how long did it take them to fix those issues? Personally im giving them until November and then im seriously considering selling it. Ill wait for next summer and RDNA 2 and hopefully good drivers by then, but im not going to have a 600 dollar paper weight sitting around collecting dust, if they cant solve this after 3 months.

I kept mentioning this non stop that the card has major issues with drivers but no im the one who is stupid and bias towards the card. AMD has no reason to stay silent. Fix the drivers it has been 2 months. I have the 5700 xt I had so many issues with drivers I sold it. Honestly this was the worst launch of a card amd has put that out that comes to my mind.

13 hours ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

I'd go with the RX 5700 for the radeon image upscaling, being able to cheat out more performance at 1440p or 4k without much of a visual loss is pretty useful.

it's also more like a 2070 if you flash the bios to the XT model.

Spoiler

On 10/3/2019 at 9:20 PM, MahtXL said:

Strange, because I have mine set to maximum (no motion blur) settings, and I have yet to have any major issues (appart from a single total GPU crash, which seems to be a power problem) or framerate below 60. (19.9.2 driver)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed a very annoying bug in AMD settings with my 5700 XT Strix. I set the maximum GPU clock frequency for my Borderlands3 Wattman profile at around 1860 MHz by moving that flag to the left. When I played Borderlands3 the GPU still clocked around 1960 MHz. I don't want the GPU clock frequency that high, I value sound as much as video and I don't want all that noise from the fan on my graphics card to get 2/3 FPS extra. To be crystal clear: I started up AMD Settings and Borderlands3 again twice and I started up BL3 after I started up AMD settings. I hit apply in Wattman before I started up BL3. I also tried to lower the maximum power, it had no effect either.  This was for Windows (obviously, there is no AMD Settings on Linux). With regard to Linux, the software still is incredibly immature but I won't go into detail on that here given that there probably aren't many Linux gamers reading this.

Wattman kept reporting a GPU clock frequency of around 1960 MHz no matter whatever I did in AMD Settings. This is why I hate it when there is no power-saving BIOS, ASUS screwed up by having the 'quiet' BIOS still clock ridiculously high.

2 hours ago, MichieldeRuyter said:

I noticed a very annoying bug in AMD settings with my 5700 XT Strix. I set the maximum GPU clock frequency for my Borderlands3 Wattman profile at around 1860 MHz by moving that flag to the left. When I played Borderlands3 the GPU still clocked around 1960 MHz. I don't want the GPU clock frequency that high, I value sound as much as video and I don't want all that noise from the fan on my graphics card to get 2/3 FPS extra. To be crystal clear: I started up AMD Settings and Borderlands3 again twice and I started up BL3 after I started up AMD settings. I hit apply in Wattman before I started up BL3. I also tried to lower the maximum power, it had no effect either.  This was for Windows (obviously, there is no AMD Settings on Linux). With regard to Linux, the software still is incredibly immature but I won't go into detail on that here given that there probably aren't many Linux gamers reading this.

Wattman kept reporting a GPU clock frequency of around 1960 MHz no matter whatever I did in AMD Settings. This is why I hate it when there is no power-saving BIOS, ASUS screwed up by having the 'quiet' BIOS still clock ridiculously high.

As a fellow Strix owner, I am surprised you can even hear the card in your case.

I highly recommend running the latest version of 19.10.1

I noticed with playing with issues with my card, they did release a new variant of it on October 17th.

vSync has issues, so I just set it to always off in Global Game Settings and just rely on Freesync, which has fixed all of my stuttering problems (with the exception of the cutscenes in BFV).

The only real issues I have at this point or the occasional screen flicker on my ultra wide, but a reboot typically fixes that.

As for the Strix card, I have had some buggy issues with overclocking with the drivers, so I do not recommend that in the slightest. If you are playing with fan curves, core clock, etc, I recommend that you just download Asus's GPU Tweak to do that. You can just set it to Silent mode from there and be done with it.

@MahtXL, how are you doing with the card now?

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

4 hours ago, MichieldeRuyter said:

I don't want the GPU clock frequency that high

The drivers have been known to misreport frequencies and temperatures. Don't be scared of a slightly higher reading.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

I'm also having some driver issues with my RX 5700. It was much worse before but driver updates have fixed most of the problems. However there's still two issues that I find rather annoying.

- Watch Dogs 2 runs out of VRAM immediatilly and I get massive stutter. Far Cry 5 also had 8GB VRAM usage at 1080p but removing high resolution texture pack fixed it. Possible memory leak?

- AMD Overlay doesn't always show FPS. It's a pretty clever solution for monitoring temps, framerate etc. since I had issues with MSI Afterburner. However it's frustraring when the most important information disappears during gaming.

I contacted AMD three times and finally they promised that they will investigate these problems and try to fix them in the future driver update. 

Intel Core i5-13600KF @ 5.4/4.3Ghz (P/E) / Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black / ASRock Z790 PG Lightning / 32GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 @ 6400Mhz CL32 / PowerColor Radeon RX 6950 XT Red Devil 16GB @ 2700Mhz / Samsung 980 Pro 1TB / WD Blue SN570 2TB / Corsair RM1000x / Lian Li Lancool 216 / Lenovo G27Q-20 (1440p & 165Hz IPS)

15 hours ago, Lare111 said:

- Watch Dogs 2 runs out of VRAM immediatilly and I get massive stutter. Far Cry 5 also had 8GB VRAM usage at 1080p but removing high resolution texture pack fixed it. Possible memory leak?

That's definitely a game programming problem, as they should never consume that much VRAM.