Is it bad to be a tech enthusiast at a young age ?

VirusDumb

I am a less than 16 yo and I am from India and I can build/assemble PC's and also repair them I know about all the latest pc hardware and also mobiles. I wanted to play a game and from that game I came to know about different PC hardware, consoles, raspberry pi, etc. 

My computer teachers help me increase this knowledge because they think it'll help me and our School win a big quiz held in India for high school students about tech.

But some (85% of) people don't like me / hate me because of this knowledge I have at a young age and tell weird stuff ??? like this to me and my parents

If you'll let ur son do stuff on computer then he'll get a eye cancer 

Stop playing with YouTube (while I am watching a ltt vid) you are addicted

And when they say the word "ADDICTED" I get angry and feel like telling them this.

Spoiler

My life , my rule

My thela, My phool

Teri machti kyun hai chull

Only Indian can understand that.

And some people even treat me as if I was a crook or something.

But why ??? Can't they just let a kid be cool ??? Can't they just focus on their own work ??? Can't they just drink toilet cleaner and die ???

There's also a a guy I didn't talk about .

The neighbor, he says he has a son even though I or anyone else in the neighborhood have never seen him. 

His son always manages to get better marks than me. Every time !!!!!

My dad - "my son got 90 in physics"

(Dat guy)-"Is that even a marks? My son got 95"

My dad - "my son also got 95 in mathematics"

(Dat guy) - "Mathematics! Seriously there's nothing easier than that , my son got ?"

Dad - "My son can definitely beat your son in computer knowledge, he got 100 in computer science"

(Dat stupid ass)-"So what my son got 150"

(Dad gets triggered )

Dad - (kindly)"how does your son manage to get such marks?"

(The dumbass)- (in a voice with pride) "my son doesn't use computer or he is obsessed with tech like your son"

(Dad gets triggered once again)

(He comes in , finds me watching a ltt video and beats me up) 

I swear to God that if I ever find his son 

I'll take the toilet cleaner and directly put it inside his mouth

Sorry if I've been too violent.

I am  a teen but doesn't that means I can't be a tech enthusiast . 

Knowledge has no age then why am I being treated for getting a knowledge like that. 

Is there any way I can fix this guys???

Thanks if you have read till here

It's not a bad thing. Don't let ignorance of others push you in a certain direction.

Here's a small anecdote about me:

Got into computers around when I was 13. I played games constantly, was never not on a screen. I had no where near the knowledge you have at your age. In school I sucked and had an average of about 55-65% from grades 9 through 12. Graduated without even pre calculus or any sciences aside from basic computer science. 

Now, I am a university student working towards a dual degree in computer science and interactive systems design. Rocking a good average. I start an internship next year that pays good as well.

People are stupid and arrogant, don't listen to them.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I don't intend to be particularly rude, but it pretty much sounds like collective idiocy. I feel this because I once had a time where I was surrounded by idiots in my middle school. There are two things that I want you to know:

- Don't listen to anything that they say against technology or you,

- and do whatever you can to keep on exploring and learning.

Your school grade does not matter, what matters is your passion. let your parents know that. And please do ask your dad to stop beating you up. Does he somehow feel he needs to 'win' against your neighbor? With his son's scores? And seriously, 'eye cancer'? what the f--k?

Tell everyone that you are learning with experience and passion, unlike your neighbor's son just learning useless stuff off the textbook and memorizing it. Maybe they need to watch '3 idiots' again.

Just in case, I'm gonna state that I am not condoning abandoning school studies at all. You do need to study and get some grades. But I'm telling you that your passion and interest is more significant, and competition with grades is just... futile? I dunno.

Keep loving technology.

5 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Is it bad to be a tech enthusiast at a young age ?

yes, tech invention gets too fast

you will spend too much time catching up, with no one could...

and realised you are so old and wasted your life on old techs

21 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

yes, tech invention gets too fast

Yes

22 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

you will spend too much time catching up, with no one could...

That will make you a unique person to add onto the job resume.

23 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

and realised you are so old and wasted your life on old techs

Not if you love tech and love what you are doing.

Kinda, you don't really have the money to pursue your interests as much as you would want to.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

8 hours ago, SeAsOn3 said:

I am a less than 16 yo and I am from India and I can build/assemble PC's and also repair them I know about all the latest pc hardware and also mobiles. I wanted to play a game and from that game I came to know about different PC hardware, consoles, raspberry pi, etc. 

That's great and all, but you need to be able to do that effortlessly. Simply knowing how to plug all those things in, just leads you down the path of being everyone's free labor. You have to know what the best/optimal configuration is, and to know when to bite your tongue when someone brags to you about how they got a deal on some "good deal" that you know they got ripped off on.

I've been working on computers since I was 8 or so, back when an entry level PC was around 2000, and 640K RAM was new. Back then, it was just amazing to go from monochrome screens to color, PC Speaker, to PSG to FM to Wavetable music, and even just hearing a voice come out of the computer that you didn't expect was something of a big deal.

Today, a lot of tech innovation doesn't come with the WOW factor it once did. And likewise the people you grow up with are probably not as easily impressed by simply being able to fix something. Like I kid you not, I can walk by a laser printer at the office with blinking lights, find the paper jam and and the office ladies will be like I brought a dead printer back to life. Likewise, there's a lot of stuff that is "thrown out" because the office lacks any IT staff to say if the thing is worth saving. Perfectly good hardware, off to the recycling facility. If you are THAT person, you are saving them frustration, money and time, even if it only took you a minute.

How you find your place in tech circles is by having the right level of knowledge with the right ability to solve the problem, or the means to discover how to solve the problem. I will pull out my phone in front of people who ask a silly question and give google the right phrase to find the answer, and just work off that if it's not something that has a straight forward answer.  Sometimes it's just about knowing how to find that information, you know what it means, they don't. Anyone can use google, or bing, or duckduckgo, or whatever, but you have to know how to find things by giving it the right input. In some cases searching on google is only slightly removed from the old text parser games. A frequent thing you will hear from people is "I don't know what that means".

But at the same time:

DO NOT WORK FOR FREE

You will be taken advantage of. People will try to manipulate you into fixing their stuff for nothing. If it's worth a meal or a fancy coffee or a beverage to you, go right ahead, but make sure that when someone asks a favor of you, you get something out of it. Don't be known as the kid who works for free, because that's really hard to remove.

If your parents are not supportive of your tech prowess, put some space between them and you as soon as you can. People who work in IT, are not always going to be the A+ overachiever with a dozen credentials to their name, it's far more likely they only got the credentials they have because their employer paid them to get them, so their employer can attract more business.

7 hours ago, NonStandardUser said:

I don't intend to be particularly rude, but it pretty much sounds like collective idiocy. I feel this because I once had a time where I was surrounded by idiots in my middle school. There are two things that I want you to know:

- Don't listen to anything that they say against technology or you,

- and do whatever you can to keep on exploring and learning.

Your school grade does not matter, what matters is your passion. let your parents know that. And please do ask your dad to stop beating you up. Does he somehow feel he needs to 'win' against your neighbor? With his son's scores? And seriously, 'eye cancer'? what the f--k?

Tell everyone that you are learning with experience and passion, unlike your neighbor's son just learning useless stuff off the textbook and memorizing it. Maybe they need to watch '3 idiots' again.

Just in case, I'm gonna state that I am not condoning abandoning school studies at all. You do need to study and get some grades. But I'm telling you that your passion and interest is more significant, and competition with grades is just... futile? I dunno.

Keep loving technology.

He doesn't beat me (I overexaggerated)

By the way my neighbor's son doesn't even exist he lies about it how can someone get 150 

I also study(by study I mean understanding ) hard and get those above numbers 

The eye cancer is because of the news paper which have stupid article like

"MOBILE PAKAR NE SE HUA LARKE KO BRAIN CANCER"

8 hours ago, Genwyn said:

And if you have to, bullshit to them. Say you’re going after a high tier job with Intel or AMD in the future and you need to learn as much as you can about not just the computer, but the markets behind the parts and the companies involved.

I used it but the neighbor spawned out of nowhere and exclaimed "Intel or AMD huh! What will they pay you $200? Look at my son he'll do engineering and get a government job they'll provide him with all facilities and free car"

Every tech savvy guy in the room including the images of CEOs and founders I have:-

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️