64 Core EPYC CPU – HOLY $H!T

I know that was probably said in the past but...

What is that thing that Linus laid on CPU instead of thermal paste?

17 minutes ago, Tomieszek said:

I know that was probably said in the past but...

What is that thing that Linus laid on CPU instead of thermal paste?

I recognised it from an older video... then googled "solid thermal paste pad" and this was the first video to pop up: 

It's probably this or something similar. :) 

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

9 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I recognised it from an older video... then googled "solid thermal paste pad" and this was the first video to pop up: 

It's probably this or something similar. :) 

Thank you! :)

On 9/29/2019 at 8:15 AM, hojnikb said:

Any binaries or instructions on how to get swiftshader working?

There were some old builds floating around from the Transgaming days, but I had to compile it myself. It was RIDICULOUSLY annoying to do so as it required Visual Studio and a bunch of other stuff and Windows isn't exactly an ideal build environment. Here's what I ended up with. You typically only need to copy the d3d9.dll into the same folder as the game's executable, and it only works with DX9 (or OpenGL with the libGL DLLs).

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

On 9/30/2019 at 10:40 PM, GabenJr said:

There were some old builds floating around from the Transgaming days, but I had to compile it myself. It was RIDICULOUSLY annoying to do so as it required Visual Studio and a bunch of other stuff and Windows isn't exactly an ideal build environment. Here's what I ended up with. You typically only need to copy the d3d9.dll into the same folder as the game's executable, and it only works with DX9 (or OpenGL with the libGL DLLs).

Great! Thank, i'll give this a shot. I'm interested how this will perform on older titles, that might support DX9 or openGL

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

I so wanna build a gaming pc with this chip 

Protomat

On 10/2/2019 at 4:48 PM, protomat said:

I so wanna build a gaming pc with this chip 

You can (as did Linus & Anthony), but with the cost of one EPYC 7742 chip alone at ~$7300 you can build an entire Threadripper 2990WX system with similar relative performance -- or even 5-20% better with overclocking.

Though if money costs nothing to you, go get yourself them 128 cores and run ANY game at 45fps* without a graphics card! ^_^

*given future SwiftShader+VulkaAPI support for rasterized CPU rendering with more than 8 cores/16 threads.

Any followup on this? Any gaming benchmark to compare to ryzen 3000? I'm considering a 32 core epyc as a work and play computer and i would like to know if the cache can make up for the lower clocks. Anyone else crazy enough to try this?

16 minutes ago, ipwnscrubsdoe said:

Any followup on this? Any gaming benchmark to compare to ryzen 3000? I'm considering a 32 core epyc as a work and play computer and i would like to know if the cache can make up for the lower clocks. Anyone else crazy enough to try this?

they will try thid, 

but unless you need the IO of 128 lanes. you will be better off waiting for threadripper 3