Why are there so many free VPNs for Android and not for Windows?

Silencix

Hello, in the Google store there are many free VPN services for Android and it's not the same with Windows. Why is this so? Will it be that the new era is only for mobile phones and not for PCs? I've been asking myself this question for some time and I can't find an answer. Well I wanted to share this with you. Thank you very much. Best regards.

This might be a strange take, but I think a lot of people don't realize that VPNs actually protect their privacy. They just use them to get past censoring on the network so that they don't have to use mobile data. 

29 minutes ago, Silencix said:

Hello, in the Google store there are many free VPN services for Android and it's not the same with Windows. Why is this so? Will it be that the new era is only for mobile phones and not for PCs?

Because it's easier to get all sorts of good information about you from your phone -- all of your contacts' phone-numbers, what places you have a habit of visiting and when, what sorts of sounds the microphone can hear around you, what accounts you have, what websites you visit and so on. All this information can be sold, so collecting it all is a way of making money. And guess what? Most "free" stuff on phones collect this kind of stuff about you.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I've used BetterNet FREE VPN for over a year.

Tis great, disregard (hit X) the once every 10startup advertisement and then connect free.

Windows I found first. Then Android.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

45 minutes ago, hiitswilliam said:

This might be a strange take, but I think a lot of people don't realize that VPNs actually protect their privacy. They just use them to get past censoring on the network so that they don't have to use mobile data. 

This is very true. Working in a school, most students use VPNs on their phones just to get around our filters (which can be a lot bigger deal than it may seem), not for privacy.

24 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Because it's easier to get all sorts of good information about you from your phone -- all of your contacts' phone-numbers, what places you have a habit of visiting and when, what sorts of sounds the microphone can hear around you, what accounts you have, what websites you visit and so on. All this information can be sold, so collecting it all is a way of making money. And guess what? Most "free" stuff on phones collect this kind of stuff about you.

If this is true, more information can be collected on a phone than on a PC.

Why are there so many free VPNs for Android and not for Windows?

Will it be that the new era is only for mobile phones and not for PCs

That is quite the strange leap.

Mobile will always be filled with "free" things. This is because most developers make most of their money on ads, not on the actual purchase of an app/game. The market and spending happens of people that use a PC vs those that primary use a phone are completely separate.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Any and all "free" VPN services still have to have some sort of income. The vpn is not their product. your data is. they make their money selling your data and on the adds in their app.

11 hours ago, Silencix said:

Why is this so?

Simpy on a phone they expect you to use probably less than 100 Gigs of data. Where Windows is concerned your talking probably HOME internet. Where you could use 1TB or MORE. Its all about data. ALSO the VPN app is probably harvesting data from you phone. In the case of Windows, you dont always have to install an APP, as some people prefer to either use the Windows built in VPN software OR prefer to have the VPN setup at the router level. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 hours ago, hiitswilliam said:

You trust some random free VPN on Playstore, more than your ISP/Mobile provider? 

VPN's only protect your privacy, if the company running the VPN is honest. I wouldn't be trusting my traffic over some random free one with how easy it is to get your apps published in Playstore. You have to ask yourself, if theres no ad's on it, what are they doing with your data to make it worth it to offer as a free service....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

22 hours ago, Jarsky said:

You trust some random free VPN on Playstore, more than your ISP/Mobile provider? 

VPN's only protect your privacy, if the company running the VPN is honest. I wouldn't be trusting my traffic over some random free one with how easy it is to get your apps published in Playstore. You have to ask yourself, if theres no ad's on it, what are they doing with your data to make it worth it to offer as a free service....

I meant that people would use them at school and work to get past censoring. At home they don't. Most people I've seen use hotspot shield or Windscribe, which although neither would be my VPN of choice, aren't a scam. They're supported by ads. And anyways those people probably don't give two shits about their data being for sale.