Looking For New APs

I am upgrading my home network, and am looking for 802.11ax APs. I wanted to go with Ubiquiti, as I am already using a 12 port PoE EdgeRouter from the, but alas they have not even released a statement concerning 802.11ax. I was wondering if anyone here has heard of the brand EnGenius for APs? I found the EnGenius Neutron EWS377AP Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) 4x4 Managed Indoor Wireless Access Point Features OFDMA, MU-MIMO, and consumes Less Power with Maximum speeds to 3.5 Gbps on Amazon for $292. I have never heard of this brand, and am just trying to do my due diligence since it is so expensive.

57 minutes ago, 無声影武者 said:

but alas they have not even released a statement concerning 802.11ax

Thats probably because AX is still very new. I expect it to be a hot minuet  until more companies start releasing products. Id hold off and see what happens. Truthfully if you have AC AP's now, Id wait for second gen AX AP's. Just because it gives AX a bit more time at market penetration. Because as it stands, very few devices even have AX radio's in them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

40 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats probably because AX is still very new. I expect it to be a hot minuet  until more companies start releasing products. Id hold off and see what happens. Truthfully if you have AC AP's now, Id wait for second gen AX AP's. Just because it gives AX a bit more time at market penetration. Because as it stands, very few devices even have AX radio's in them. 

I do not have any APs currently, and my ASUS RT-N66W is crapping out, so I am redoing my entire network. I have already purchased the Ubiquity EdgeRouter 12P, and am looking for APs to compliment it. I guess I will stick to my original idea of using the UniFi AP-AC Lite. I will also be running Cat 6 cabling through my walls myself.

1 minute ago, 無声影武者 said:

I do not have any APs currently, and my ASUS RT-N66W is crapping out, so I am redoing my entire network. I have already purchased the Ubiquity EdgeRouter 12P, and am looking for APs to compliment it. I guess I will stick to my original idea of using the UniFi AP-AC Lite. I will also be running Cat 6 cabling through my walls myself.

Thats probably the best choice. From what I have seen AX really helps in congested areas, at least from what I have read. BUT that only helps you if both AP and all the devices are AX compliant. So sticking with AC is probably just a good choice. Give the markets a few years to catch up, at it will takes about that before you have a good amount of AX market penetration. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have Engenius long range Wifi dishes and they are solid kit. It is a good brand and most of their gear is commercial grade like Ubiquiti. I don't know that i would jump into ax gear yet though since it is still so new.

23 hours ago, 無声影武者 said:

I highly recommend the Pro over the Lite, range and speeds are both about double of the Lite in real world use.

1 hour ago, Scheer said:

I highly recommend the Pro over the Lite, range and speeds are both about double of the Lite in real world use.

I do understand that, and would love to, but I am trying to keep the overall cost down since I will also be running CAT 6 through my walls.

WiFi 6 (802.11ax) hasn't even been finalized yet which is why more Prosumer brands haven't yet launched it.

The spec may still have some tweaks before it finally releases end of this year / early next year. 

Ubiquiti have already advised on their forums that they're waiting for it to be finalized before releasing WiFi 6 based AP's

So you could either get some AC Lite's to keep you going and sell them next year when the WiFi 6 AP's release, or do a deploy with nanoHD's which will last just fine for many years to come for a home network. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

17 hours ago, 無声影武者 said:

I do understand that, and would love to, but I am trying to keep the overall cost down since I will also be running CAT 6 through my walls.

I bought the Lite first to try and save money, was irritated by it because we have Pros at work and I know how they perform... so I bought a Pro to replace the Lite in the house and moved the Lite into my workshop. It is still driving me nuts so I'm getting another Pro to replace the Lite I moved into the workshop. Buy once, cry once.

If you watch the used section on this one, every now and then there are Open box from Amazon Warehouse, where people don't realize it doesn't have the POE adapter and send it back without ever using it. Since you have a POE switch you don't need it. I've gotten a few of them for $100, but its few and far between... https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-802-11ac-Enterprise-UAP-AC-PRO-Separately/dp/B079DSW6XX/

It is entirely possible I got a dud Lite as well.