Sound cards

Gannam

So i have no clue what a sound card does, other than MiDi devices i haven't touched anything to do with computer audio systems

Do i really need a sound card when my motherboard already has a system? Would it help my experience for headphones/speakers?

For general purposes, the sound card built into any motherboard is perfectly adequate. If you wish to enjoy higher bitrate content and/or do anything with MIDI, you will need a dedicated sound card. Whether it's USB or PCIe is more or less up to you. My future application of using MIDI in a live stage environment only requires something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO6X7PG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

There are a few people on this forum who can explain far better than I could all about how sound cards actually work (sadly I don't remember who they are, otherwise I'd ping them for you). I do live sound, lighting, and projection so my needs vary a bit from the average user though.

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

For general purposes, the sound card built into any motherboard is perfectly adequate. If you wish to enjoy higher bitrate content and/or do anything with MIDI, you will need a dedicated sound card. Whether it's USB or PCIe is more or less up to you. My future application of using MIDI in a live stage environment only requires something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO6X7PG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

There are a few people on this forum who can explain far better than I could all about how sound cards actually work (sadly I don't remember who they are, otherwise I'd ping them for you). I do live sound, lighting, and projection so my needs vary a bit from the average user though.

What does higher bit rate do? It's still coming out of the same speakers or outlet

I'm using a x470 tachi motherboard, idk where I'd find the sound card on it

1 minute ago, Gannam said:

What does higher bit rate do? It's still coming out of the same speakers or outlet

If you have the right hardware, such as high end sound card and high end speaker system, you can actually enjoy the benefit of higher bit rates. Simply put, the audio quality will be crisper and clearer, like you've never heard before. That is of course, if your hearing hasn't deteriorated.

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

If you have the right hardware, such as high end sound card and high end speaker system, you can actually enjoy the benefit of higher bit rates. Simply put, the audio quality will be crisper and clearer, like you've never heard before. That is of course, if your hearing hasn't deteriorated.

why cant onboard do higher bitrate?

newer onboard?

3 minutes ago, pas008 said:

newer onboard?

My motherboard is a z470 tachi, at the time it was better than most for sound, but idk at this point

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

newer onboard?

I don't have a good explanation, other than limitations of being on a motherboard and not having room to isolate circuitry or install better stuff.

Newer onboard is just as I described above. It's good for the average user.

1 hour ago, Gannam said:

My motherboard is a z470 tachi, at the time it was better than most for sound, but idk at this point

Comparing to other motherboards, sure maybe. But comparing to an external DAC or PCIe sound card? Yeah no, it's not.

Below a video from LTT that explains it, okayish. There's pros and cons to PCIe and DAC solutions. DAC requires more desk space, but is higher in quality compared to the PCIe solution, more universal between platforms (works with anything with an audio jack), and it makes sense if you have a smaller motherboard and don't have the slots or room in your case. But PCIe makes more sense if you don't have the desk space for an external DAC (or you don't want clutter), and comes very close to DAC performance as well. In my particular use case, I need my audio solution inside the computer because it will be in a mobile rack mount situation.

But does this all mean you need a PCIe sound card or DAC? No. Not unless you want to enjoy very high quality audio content with very high quality speakers or headphones. On board audio works perfectly fine for your average gamer and content consumer. Despite my immense understanding of audio in a live sense, I'm not too good at explaining things, so hopefully I'm making sense. 

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't have a good explanation, other than limitations of being on a motherboard and not having room to isolate circuitry or install better stuff.

Newer onboard is just as I described above. It's good for the average user.

Comparing to other motherboards, sure maybe. But comparing to an external DAC or PCIe sound card? Yeah no, it's not.

Below a video from LTT that explains it, okayish. There's pros and cons to PCIe and DAC solutions. DAC requires more desk space, but is higher in quality compared to the PCIe solution, more universal between platforms (works with anything with an audio jack), and it makes sense if you have a smaller motherboard and don't have the slots or room in your case. But PCIe makes more sense if you don't have the desk space for an external DAC (or you don't want clutter), and comes very close to DAC performance as well. In my particular use case, I need my audio solution inside the computer because it will be in a mobile rack mount situation.

But does this all mean you need a PCIe sound card or DAC? No. Not unless you want to enjoy very high quality audio content with very high quality speakers or headphones. On board audio works perfectly fine for your average gamer and content consumer. Despite my immense understanding of audio in a live sense, I'm not too good at explaining things, so hopefully I'm making sense. 

Modern mobos Good for 99% of users

Dac accuracy? 99.99%

Amp ouput? Enough for majority of headphones

And real 7.1 which many external units don't have period

Vss can be had simple

I/o mobo usually has more

Now that is clear

Inference plays a role 

I always have this issue with 3 gpus

But usb isn't always clean either at times

More and more mobo companies are doing clean power and grounding in newer shit too 

I have owned and used many dacs 

Amps

Sound cards

Even receivers

Along with many headphones still trying to downsize my headphone collection

Audio Becomes a money pit for a subjective experience that plateaus fast

2 hours ago, pas008 said:

Modern mobos Good for 99% of users

Dac accuracy? 99.99%

Amp ouput? Enough for majority of headphones

And real 7.1 which many external units don't have period

Vss can be had simple

I/o mobo usually has more

Now that is clear

Inference plays a role 

I always have this issue with 3 gpus

But usb isn't always clean either at times

More and more mobo companies are doing clean power and grounding in newer shit too 

I have owned and used many dacs 

Amps

Sound cards

Even receivers

Along with many headphones still trying to downsize my headphone collection

Audio Becomes a money pit for a subjective experience that plateaus fast

My use case is streaming music anyway with Spotify, and very rarely using Reason 10 for a little bit of audio work

6 hours ago, Gannam said:

So i have no clue what a sound card does, other than MiDi devices i haven't touched anything to do with computer audio systems

Do i really need a sound card when my motherboard already has a system? Would it help my experience for headphones/speakers?

For most people no soundcards or external solutions bloke amps and DACs are not necessary. When youndo start upgrading speakers and headphones beyond all the normal consumer grade stuff then yes it's something to look into