Is this a burn mark on the graphics card?

Hey dudes. 

I have a problem. Yesterday my PC screen went black. For some reason I had fought it was hard drive releated but after trying to boot my screen would again be black after loading drivers. I was able to boot up in a safe mode. I had deleted gpu drivers and after that I could have loaded the system on VGA. 

I had gotten new drivers and tried booting again as normal but the problem came up again. I've inspected the card just to see this. Am i stupid or is this a burn mark? I can't afford any new hardware atm and I had some important stuff planned for tonight. Can someone give some advice to a scrub like me?

DSC_0840.JPG

Whatever this is, it certainly doesn't look great.
Is there still warranty on the card?

Looks like you are starting to toast the solder mask. Meaning that the GPU's board is most likely shot, as the only source of heat would be the reverse side.

Most PCB's are layered so there could of been a fault in a layers or exercise heat broke traces in other layers.

RMA if you can.

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Whatever this is, it certainly doesn't look great.
Is there still warranty on the card?

No, it's an old radeon R9 290 card.

6 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Looks like you are starting to toast the solder mask. Meaning that the GPU's board is most likely shot, as the only source of heat would be the reverse side.

Yeah, you are probably right. It just sucks it had to happend 1 day before something important to me. I've been preping 2 weeks for it at least

I think that GPU is toast. Perhaps replace with a rx570? They go fairly cheap nowadays 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

6 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I think that GPU is toast. Perhaps replace with a rx570? They go fairly cheap nowadays 

Thank you for your recommendation, I really appreciate it. I'm a neet from Poland so it's hard for me to get anything atm, even something from a cheaper side. Maybe if I finaly find a job I'll be able to get it. In the mean time I'll focus on not going crazy without PC. I'm just about that tonight's thing.

Either way, thanks bros for help.

1 hour ago, StefanCzarniecki said:

Thank you for your recommendation, I really appreciate it. I'm a neet from Poland so it's hard for me to get anything atm, even something from a cheaper side. Maybe if I finaly find a job I'll be able to get it. In the mean time I'll focus on not going crazy without PC. I'm just about that tonight's thing.

Either way, thanks bros for help.

Not sure how long that card is gonna last tho..

you have a intel cpu with integrated graphics ? If so use your onboard graphics 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD