I am so in over my head these days!

Billbrown1982

Hey all ;)

So, years ago (like 20) back when 486's were a thing and a Pentium was only for your rich mates I was REALLY into PC building. For years I knew all the components, differences between sockets, what processors had against others...the whole lot.

Somewhere along the way, I got old I guess...life got in the way...I even switched over to an iMac for quite a few years as my home computer.

Then I got the PC gaming bug again, money wasn't flush so I bought a PC from a builder as I could pay on finance, with what I figured was a pretty decent spec. 

Then we got into VR, so I upgraded to a GTX 1080 to run the vive, which it does.

But I've never really bothered to tweak it or look at things in detail and the little annoyances are finally getting to me, like for instance I can play pretty much any new game on high/max settings...but they will all from time to time have maybe some slight stuttering or frame drops from time to time, almost like its bottle necking somewhere.

After recently finding LTT and binge watching a whole lotta videos i've now got the bug to get back into the game, fix these issues and almost certainly upgrade the machine a little - water cooling is definitely going to happen.

So from what I've picked up on the videos I started with downloading Cinebench and doing a test....to be pretty devastated at my score. To me, it seems....pretty low for my build.

But on the plus side my temps seemed to behave, between 45 idle (bit high?) to 67 max and that surprised me because my case cooling isn't great...at all.

I scored 1238, on an Intel Core i5-7500 @3.4 ghz. Honestly I wouldnt' even know where to start looking at for upgrades...I don't want to go nuts cost wise but my gut is telling me new case & watercooling, quite possibly a new motherboard which then brings a world of pain cause no doubt new procesor & ram lol

Any thoughts/ideas are more than welcome. Maybe even some suggestions on benchmarking so I can work out where my problems seem to lie?

Cheers guys :)

The weakest point of your system is definitely that motherboard and CPU. Could you do us, and yourself, a favor and throw your system together in PCPartPicker?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Absoloutely. Didn't want to just steam in with my first post and throw my specs up and expect answers sorta thing...if that makes sense! 

I'm not 100% sure about the RAM, except its definitely 2 x 8GB of Kingston DDR4 2133Mhz. 

I couldn't find the CPU cooler listed either but thats not really important in this situation :)

Cool!

Your CPU and motherboard are definitely the first 2 things that gotta go if you're upgrading anything. I would say the PSU is next, and lastly the RAM. If you can overclock it to 2666 or higher I honestly wouldn't even bother with it.

DDR4 is still the current spec, so you don't strictly need to upgrade it even though it would help in performance. You said you didn't want to go too crazy on upgrade, so I would reccomend an i7-8700 and a nice H370 motherboard. That will bring you up to the current mainstream of 6c12t, and give you a healthy performance uplift over your non hyperthreaded 4 core CPU.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

Yeah so my boy came home and told me to run this benchmark.

Looks to me like the "Brawn" achievement pretty much sums up the problem and its exactly as you said lol

Appreciate your help! I am going to start looking at those options and will definitely be back with more questions ;)

image.png

Feel free to reach out friend! I am on very often.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Would you definitely say getting a 8700k and a new motherboard is preferable to going for the cheapskate route and getting a 7700k that will just drop straight in?

I know its more of a bandaid solution at this point. Just looking at options.

Knowing me, if I do go new build i'll end up going crazy with it, even though I said I didn't want to....

3 hours ago, Billbrown1982 said:

Would you definitely say getting a 8700k and a new motherboard is preferable to going for the cheapskate route and getting a 7700k that will just drop straight in?

the 7700k usually costs so much that you'd be better off going with a 3600+B450 board, so avoid it unless you can find it for cheap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Yeah so the H370's can't be overclocked and I figured that if I'm going to watercool it anyway, a little bit more future proofing would be having the ability to clock it down the road, if it starts getting a bit dated.

So with that in mind, i'm now looking at either the:

ASUS ROG STRIX Intel Z390-E GAMING 9th Gen ATX Motherboard

or the

ASRock Intel Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 ATX Motherboard

Any preferences here?

The frame drops you speak of are likely due to too few cores/threads. And perhaps a bottleneck between your CPU and much beefier GPU.

In the current market, the 9700K and 9900K are really the only Intel pieces you might consider worth buying if you're looking at new pieces.

Otherwise, the 3600 and 3700X are neck and neck with the 8700K, (in most titles) better than the 7700K and way better priced.

You could even grab the $200 Ryzen 5 3600 for very comparable gaming performance at a nice price cut.

No more frame drops.

Definitely going back and forth between Intel and AMD chipsets at this point. But I am thinking I will most likey be sticking with Intel for now.

Curious as to why you've suggested a new power supply, but the same wattage as my existing one? Or was that just an error.

Cheers :)

53 minutes ago, Billbrown1982 said:

Definitely going back and forth between Intel and AMD chipsets at this point. But I am thinking I will most likey be sticking with Intel for now.

Curious as to why you've suggested a new power supply, but the same wattage as my existing one? Or was that just an error.

Cheers :)

Because I'm assuming you've got a 5+ year old PSU, so if you're going to add pricey new components to the build, you should grab a new one.

There is a lot more to power supplies than just wattage.

As for Intel vs AMD, I personally wouldn't go Intel unless you're either getting a KILLER deal on the 8700K, or you plan to foot for a 9900K. (And even then a 3700X is still a great argument.)

The 9700k lacks Hypertheading, which will eventually hurt its frame drop performance (even if it's great now.)

The $200 3600 has 12 threads, is overclockable, and has pretty comparable gaming performance. I know AMD was a bad bet in the past, but even Intel fanboy Linus Sebastien is batting for team red on this most recent product line.

Check out Gamers Nexus reviews on the subject. IMO he's the tester to be looking at. 

Funny enough I was just reading up on the PSU pinned thread about its more than just wattage. Yeah and your dead right, totally makes sense now!

Saw Linus's video on the new gen Ryzen's, thats a whole lotta cores. I use PC for gaming but primarily as a Media server too so thats also a consideration.

Gamers Nexus....I'll head over there now. Cheers!

31 minutes ago, Billbrown1982 said:

Funny enough I was just reading up on the PSU pinned thread about its more than just wattage. Yeah and your dead right, totally makes sense now!

Saw Linus's video on the new gen Ryzen's, thats a whole lotta cores. I use PC for gaming but primarily as a Media server too so thats also a consideration.

Gamers Nexus....I'll head over there now. Cheers!

Steve is like the OCing god. Though if you want stock speeds, they are also there for you.

Good news: you can OC a 3600 or 3700X on a $75-120 MOBO. (And it would even do pretty well on the stock cooler.)