Dual PSU problem

Razer06

HI! I cannot seem to get my GPU to output any signal to my monitor, it is a RX 580 Red dragon, I put it in a system with a proprietary Power supply, so i used a old Bestec power supply to deliver power to the card, and connected two cables on the 24 pin (Green and black), The fans spin up, and it shows up in device manager as a RX 580 series Card,I've tried uninstalling and re installing drivers, but nothing seems to work, is there something ive missed? the system is a HP 590 p-00020 w/ryzen 3 2200g

Did you connect a display to the card? The Radeon cards require a display to be attached in order for the system to register the GPU for the driver to be installed.

How you have managed to avoid setting your house on fire is beyond me. This is legit dangerous. Don't do it

hope you have your phone close to you with the fire department on quick dial..

CPU & COOLER - INTEL i9 12900K | NZXT KRAKEN X62

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

GPU - ASUS GEFORCE RTX 3080 TUF

RAM - 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY 3200MHZ

PSU - PHANTEKS REVOLT PRO 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

SSD #1 - CORSAIR SN850 1TB

SSD #2 - CORSAIR SN850X 4TB

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

CASE - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A D-RGB

MOUSE #1 - LOGITECH G502 X Wireless

KEYBOARD - AKKO 5108B PLUS

SPEAKERS - SVS PB-1000 + 2x ADAM A3X

HEADSET #1 - SENNHEISER IE-300

HEADSET #2 - FOSTEX TR-X00 PURPLEHREART

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

DISPLAY 2 - XIAOMI 2K GAMING

PHONE - SAMSUNG GALAXY S23+ 

43 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you connect a display to the card? The Radeon cards require a display to be attached in order for the system to register the GPU for the driver to be installed.

I have, but nothing shows up on the display

11 minutes ago, berny22 said:

hope you have your phone close to you with the fire department on quick dial..

dont worry, i do

So you are trying to upgrade a prebuilt...

How many Watts is the PSU?

It is made in Taiwan so there is a chance it's OK...

Just need the exact model number and check reviews -_-

I have done a dual PSU once for troubleshooting a 600w crossfire setup (that's the power consumption)

And what display cable do you use?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Running two PSUs is hardly dangerous if done properly, there is a chance for failure but unlikely.

I would recommend an add2psu for easier operation:
https://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Adapter-Connector-Genetek-Electric/dp/B0711WX9MC

Have you confirmed that this GPU runs in another system?

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

47 minutes ago, Razer06 said:

I have, but nothing shows up on the display

Check your BIOS settings. There may be display options that state weather it's using iGPU/dGPU or both. If it's set to use strictly the iGPU then the dGPU will not output anything and may have other issues like this.

17 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Check your BIOS settings. There may be display options that state weather it's using iGPU/dGPU or both. If it's set to use strictly the iGPU then the dGPU will not output anything and may have other issues like this.

I did, there were some settings about the pcie rail, i enabled them and the card ran, found out the PSU was the problem

17 hours ago, TheAgnda said:

Running two PSUs is hardly dangerous if done properly, there is a chance for failure but unlikely.

I would recommend an add2psu for easier operation:
https://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Adapter-Connector-Genetek-Electric/dp/B0711WX9MC

Have you confirmed that this GPU runs in another system?

No. I bought it at Micro Center and they said they tested it and it worked, so I trusted them, found out the power supply was absolute crap, im probably just gonna buy a 80+ Bronze one from rosewill or EVGA

17 hours ago, Vishera said:

So you are trying to upgrade a prebuilt...

How many Watts is the PSU?

It is made in Taiwan so there is a chance it's OK...

Just need the exact model number and check reviews -_-

I have done a dual PSU once for troubleshooting a 600w crossfire setup (that's the power consumption)

And what display cable do you use?

The PSU is 250 watts, it is a Bestec ATX-250-12z. I use a AmazonBasics HDMI to VGA Cable. Im going to try another PSU that i have tonight, Itś another Bestec, This time 300w.

Amazon Basics...Yeap, we are going to read about you on the news tomorrow

29 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Amazon Basics...Yeap, we are going to read about you on the news tomorrow

hehe, im surprised it didnt blow up. the psu isnt certified in any way i believe.

57 minutes ago, Razer06 said:

hehe, im surprised it didnt blow up. the psu isnt certified in any way i believe.

It will, give it time to heat up those caps to 200C

13 hours ago, Razer06 said:

The PSU is 250 watts, it is a Bestec ATX-250-12z. I use a AmazonBasics HDMI to VGA Cable. Im going to try another PSU that i have tonight, Itś another Bestec, This time 300w.

Those power supplies are really really bad,the worst of the worst,and the worst i have ever seen in those forums...

AVOID THEM FIRE HAZARD,EXPLOSION HAZARD,TOXIC GASES HAZARD.

And the HDMI to VGA is another potential point of failure.

No wonder it doesn't work,

I would recommend just buying a good PSU.Yes it will cost more money but at least it will actually work and be reliable.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

10 hours ago, Vishera said:

Those power supplies are really really bad,the worst of the worst,and the worst i have ever seen in those forums...

AVOID THEM FIRE HAZARD,EXPLOSION HAZARD,TOXIC GASES HAZARD.

And the HDMI to VGA is another potential point of failure.

No wonder it doesn't work,

I would recommend just buying a good PSU.Yes it will cost more money but at least it will actually work and be reliable.

Thats why im gonna buy a Corsair or thermal take PSU off amazon, this only has to last 1 day without breaking, I know they are absolute garabge.

11 minutes ago, Razer06 said:

Thats why im gonna buy a Corsair or thermal take PSU off amazon, this only has to last 1 day without breaking, I know they are absolute garabge.

Also I got my system to work, it wasnt the psu, also i left it under load for a bit, it never went super hot, and i could play forza, fortnite, Project Cars, etc, on max settings, 

3 hours ago, Razer06 said:

Also I got my system to work, it wasnt the psu, also i left it under load for a bit, it never went super hot, and i could play forza, fortnite, Project Cars, etc, on max settings, 

What was it?,The display cable?...