Opinions about MacBooks from Windows users?

Mateyyy

I'm looking to purchase a laptop for college, and have been considering a 13" MacBook Pro (2.3GHz i5-8259U, 8GB of RAM, 512GB SSD).

Basic requirements for me would be for it to be portable, have a high quality screen, good battery life (I don't mind having to leave it to charge each night, but I don't want to run out of battery midday just with moderate usage) and for it to handle light photo/video editing (and obviously non-demanding tasks such as taking notes, web browsing, etc.). If I was to game on it, it'd probably just be old/basic games, so I don't need a dedicated GPU.

I've always been a Windows user and pretty much never tried out MacOS, though I don't mind trying it out and getting to learn it. I'm not super invested or anything in the Apple ecosystem, but I'd enjoy the native compatibility with my AirPods, and I guess AirDrop with my iPhone could come in handy once in a while. 

Now, I'm not necessarily decided on a MacBook. I've also considered Windows, and it would probably be easier for me to use it, at least in the beginning, as I'm so used to the OS. One ultrabook I've considered is the Lenovo Yoga S730, which I could probably manage to get with double the RAM (16GB) and double the storage (1TB) compared to the MacBook, and for a bit cheaper, but with a lower resolution screen (1080p 16:9 compared to 1600p 16:10) and not quite the same color gamut.

What I'm wondering is, if there's anyone here who's using a somewhat similarly specced MacBook and mostly have been Windows users, how accessible was MacOS, and how does it handle multitasking, considering most 13" configs only have 8GBs of RAM, and it is not upgradeable.

Thanks.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

massive issues with reliability and fundamental desing problems

These extending beyond the famous keyboard problems they've recently had?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

25 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Yea. The ribbon cable problems, the display connector overvolting the CPU and killing it, the T2 randomly saying and preventing data savings the issues are numerous really.

17 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Even with the keyboard issue (which apple will fix for free) apple is among the highest rated for computer reliability. There are small issues that pop up over time that windows users will freak out about because they love any reason to hate on apple. I have owned two different macbook pros over the past 7 years and both were/are amazing devices. My primary computer at home is a windows desktop and then for school I use my 15" 2014 macbook pro that still runs like new. I've tried several windows laptops but always end up returning them and sticking with my MBP because it is better in a couple key areas for my use case:

• The calendar, reminders, and text messages can all be answered from my laptop so I'm able to schedule everything while i'm in class and it's available on all my devices.
  • The screen gets bright enough (like 500 or 600 nits) to use out doors comfortably.
  • The speakers are better than anything available on any windows laptop.
  • The top and bottom of the notebook don't get uncomfortably hot while using
  • the battery life is amazing even after 5 years. I still get around 8 hours having never replaced the battery. 

Going from Windows to OSX isn't really a big deal. instead of hitting ctl + the function you hit cmd + the function, and the options in windows to quit, full screen, and minimize are on the left top instead of the right top. 

Now with all this said that doesn't mean you should get a macbook. They are expensive and if you don't like the feel of the keyboard there are good options with windows laptop. There are windows options that are available that offer similar overall quality, however they are either also very expensive or cheap out in some other areas. 

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yea. The ribbon cable problems, the display connector overvolting the CPU and killing it, the T2 randomly saying and preventing data savings the issues are numerous really.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the CPU over volting or the T2 chip making it unable for files to be saved. I couldn't find anything about these issues on google, but the display ribbon problem was acknowledged by apple, only effects one year of the laptops, and will be fixed for free. Think about any windows laptop manufacturers and their laptops also have numerous issues that pop up over time. 

13 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I have no idea what you're talking about with the CPU over volting or the T2 chip making it unable for files to be saved. I couldn't find anything about these issues on google, but the display ribbon problem was acknowledged by apple, only effects one year of the laptops, and will be fixed for free. Think about any windows laptop manufacturers and their laptops also have numerous issues that pop up over time. 

Then you haven't googled past the second result.

The CPU's data pin is right next to the LED backlight pin on the display connector - if you run the device in a humid environment eventually corrosion will bridge them and send up to 52 volts to the CPU, killing it on the spot. Apple refuse to cover this under warranty.

The T2 Chip has died randomly on a number of people and the lack of a lifeboat connector on the last 2 generations of laptops makes data recovery not possible in any way shape or form.

IN ADDITION, you have a device with absolutely horrible thermals - the CPUs and GPUs in them run near 100*C near constantly causing severe hardware degradation and performance loss. Not only that, the performance is not the only thing that suffers - extreme heat, that can easily be felt across the whole chassis due to the conductive nature of the material, affects the battery in a negative way, shortening its overall lifespan.

There's more than that as well - using a non-Apple-branded dongle is not going to work in most cases - they are software locked in MacOS to only accept the overpriced Apple adapters making the whole cost of the device even more absurd than it actually is.

EDIT: And of course, the keyboard that fails when a single spec of dust gets in it and sparked a class-action lawsuit.

The last good MacBook Pro was the 2015 model. Everything since then has been from bad to worse.

45 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I'd strongly encourage reading and watching the Rossmann materials - you'll see why nobody who has your best interest in mind will recommend the current Apple products. In short, ever since Cook took over, the quality of their products has gone from good to abysmal. A MacBook Pro that costs 3000$ is more fragile and easily broken than a 400$ Acer Aspire.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

26 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

No problem. If you have any questions, feel free to message me directly ?.

Also, the post above is a great explanation to the topic ?.

Btw if you really want a MacBook, look at the early 2015 Pros. Those are actually decent mqchines and even Rossmann has stated that I'd you absolutely need a Mac, those are the best option alongside the 2014 models