Building in a wooden case? would it work?

WoodyWoo

Im planning to upgrade from my old case, its not that great anymore and doesn't even have a 2.5" drive bay. I work as a wood worker on the side and wanted to make a custom, fully enclosed, TG case, but I have never done something like this. My main worry is the smell that could be released when the system is up to temperature. my main and planed wood of choice was to be Red Gum, for its sturdiness and all round colour, but I know when it heats up( not to the point of burning) it can smell ALOT, I only usually smell it when Im using it on the lathe or if its in left in the shed on a hot day. i just dont want to have the smell constantly and i worry that the smell(particles) could hurt my components.

There are several Modder Cases in the wild, that have been made from wood. 

Now not regarding any desk builds, the most desktop builds still had some metal pieces to hold the parts... 

Else keep some distance to the wood with standoffs so that there is no direct connection with the parts that get hot. and keep in mind a good air ventialtion/cooling.

If the wood gets smoldering, then there is something seriously wrong with the case/mod/system.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

10 hours ago, Anghammarad said:

There are several Modder Cases in the wild, that have been made from wood. 

Now not regarding any desk builds, the most desktop builds still had some metal pieces to hold the parts... 

Else keep some distance to the wood with standoffs so that there is no direct connection with the parts that get hot. and keep in mind a good air ventialtion/cooling.

If the wood gets smoldering, then there is something seriously wrong with the case/mod/system.

So essentially don't burn your house down

I'd love to have a wooden case. I figure I would have metal internals to house the MB and HDDs but the outside body would be wooden.

Is that your plan or are you trying to go for all wood?

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Nope its not gonna heat the wood up that much provided you have good air flow. The direct heat of computer pars dont produce anywhere near as much radiant heat. Build on my friend 

9 hours ago, Thready said:

I'd love to have a wooden case. I figure I would have metal internals to house the MB and HDDs but the outside body would be wooden.

Is that your plan or are you trying to go for all wood?

As much as possible, I used MDF as a test bench before and that was fine, but I was going to try and watercool it as well, i wanted to use a very thick wood to try and have the Radiators segmented into it so you can only see the tubing running out of it. 

6 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Nope its not gonna heat the wood up that much provided you have good air flow. The direct heat of computer pars dont produce anywhere near as much radiant heat. Build on my friend 

I was planning on cutting out 2mm grills at a 45° angle then have a fine magnet dust filter on the inside between the wood and the first set of fans(I know that will make it harder to clean)

11 minutes ago, WoodyWoo said:

As much as possible, I used MDF as a test bench before and that was fine, but I was going to try and watercool it as well, i wanted to use a very thick wood to try and have the Radiators segmented into it so you can only see the tubing running out of it. 

Dang man you have to upload the finished project here. 

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count.