Android: Kotlin or Java?

TL;DR

Which do you recommend?

Why?

Long:

Yeah, i don't see how else I can really phrase that.. using Android Studio on Linux Mint 19. I'm a fanatic with C# in Unity. I know some C++. Lua is fun.

tbh they look exactly the same. Not sure if one has better support or naw.

In the Unity 3D world, Boo was dropped. Then Javascript (Unityscript) was dropped & only C# is supported. idk if this will happen with Android studio (not that it'll be hard to pick up a new language in the same environment)

Right now, I'm starting small. Some calculator like stuff, other PDA/reference type functions.

EDIT:
If one is much simpler to use & has less API stuff, I want that one. As I said, Lua is fun. Lua is easy.

Kotlin compiles to java byte code and requires a java vm to run. You will be using many of the java libraries and packages like collections regardless of which of the two language you use.  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Kotlin compiles to java byte code and requires a java vm to run. You will be using many of the java libraries and packages like collections regardless of which of the two language you use.  

Any recommend of one over the other? 

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Any recommend of one over the other? 

No. Use whatever language that suits you. I have seen job posting on indeed that ask for knowledge of React Native, turns out the company was developing android and ios apps in javascript. No kidding. 

I personally use whatever thats the "native" and "official" tho for no practical reason. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 hours ago, wasab said:

No. Use whatever language that suits you. I have seen job posting on indeed that ask for knowledge of React Native, turns out the company was developing android and ios apps in javascript. No kidding. 

I personally use whatever thats the "native" and "official" tho for no practical reason. 

I guess I’ll stick with Java then. 

One more question... I installed android studio on Linux mint & have no idea where it installed. 

Any ideas? 

Where you get Android studio from? Your distro repo or from Android developer website? If the former, it is probably inside usr/bin somewhere. 

Run the which command to print out the path to it's binary. 

If you get it from the website, where you place it is entirely up to you. This is my recommended method because it avoids much of nuisance that happens only when you get it from the repo such as when Android studio runs its internal update or when downloading packages, tools, and images which may need to be run as root cuz they reside in some system folder. If you do run as root, you get additional headaches of it dumping junks into your /root folder. Very not ideal. 

I personally download Android studio straight from Google then dump everything into ~/home/bin, create a .desktop launcher for it in ~/.local/share/applications and write a start script, dumping it into ~/home/bin as well if I want to run it on a terminal. Mint and ubuntus default bash_rc or .profile should already include ~/home/bin in the environment path on start up if that directory exists. 

Edit: ~/home/bin should be ~/bin

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 9/10/2019 at 10:53 PM, fpo said:

Which do you recommend?

Why?

Kotlin.

The Android developers decided it's the standard now, and the syntax is much less annoying.

Write in C.

On 9/11/2019 at 4:14 PM, wasab said:

snip

Found it! It is run from an .sh file. I forgot some applications are started from that method. It was in the default install location.

On 9/12/2019 at 4:24 AM, Dat Guy said:

Kotlin.

The Android developers decided it's the standard now, and the syntax is much less annoying.

I took a look at the syntax. Looked much easier to prototype. A lot of similarities with JavaScript. I'll see about some android app tutorials with Kotlin.