Motherboards switch advice

Kuarinofu

I have an MSI B350 PC Mate ATX at home for my Ryzen 7 1700 (slight OC, 16 gb (4x4) 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX Black and a Gigabyte 1070ti). I also have 1 PCIe m.2, one SATA SSD (EVO 860) and a WD Black 1 tb.

I bought ASRock B450M Steel Legend mATX for my work Ryzen 3 2200G (got it pretty cheap new from a tech reviewer on an online marketplace).

I was wondering if I could achieve better performance for my Ryzen 7 1700 if I switch the boards? Or there won't be any noticeable difference?

The ASRock mb has 2 m.2 slots but PCIe Gen3 one is kinda picky when it comes to SSD manufacturers and the other one is SATA (and it also disables one of the SATA ports to be operational).

I have only one GPU and no other devices so I don't need the extra PCIe slots.

So is it worth the hassle?

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the steel legend does have a marginally better vrm

Meaning that I can boost CPU frequency and voltage even more and have a more reliable and cool system overall?

2 minutes ago, Kuarinofu said:

Meaning that I can boost CPU frequency and voltage even more and have a more reliable and cool system overall?

if you have decent cooling then yes, otherwise better vrm wont help that much, first gen ryzen is not that great at OC anyway and those +0.1 Mhz wont help that much as it will rise temps and if not so great cooling you will drop to - 0.1 Mhz so no gain + higher temps.

5 minutes ago, Kuarinofu said:

it should help a bit with power delivery really

make the switch.

The MSI is only good if you need VGA output and PCI slots... maybe at work you'd have to deal with a mix of monitors or whatever so it would make sense to have vga/dvi/hdmi.

The Asrock board has a slightly better VRM, probably a bit better heatsink on the VRM as well, and has 2 m.2 connectors (the 2nd is probably sata only though) and you also get some usb 3.1 gen2 ports (10gbit)

23 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

if you have decent cooling then yes, otherwise better vrm wont help that much, first gen ryzen is not that great at OC anyway and those +0.1 Mhz wont help that much as it will rise temps and if not so great cooling you will drop to - 0.1 Mhz so no gain + higher temps.

I have Gammaxx 400 with an additional fan sitting on Arctic MX-4, two 140 front intakes and one back 120 exhaust. I also think (based on my OC shenanigans) that I can't really squeeze too much from my 7 1700 anyway.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

make the switch.

The MSI is only good if you need VGA output and PCI slots... maybe at work you'd have to deal with a mix of monitors or whatever so it would make sense to have vga/dvi/hdmi.

The Asrock board has a slightly better VRM, probably a bit better heatsink on the VRM as well, and has 2 m.2 connectors (the 2nd is probably sata only though) and you also get some usb 3.1 gen2 ports (10gbit)

Thanks for the advice