Server Case Recomendations

SweatyWhiteJedi

Ok I'm getting that building itch again.

I've been looking at this case so far but I've found that when I ask the LTT form I always get way better recommendations than what I can find so here we go!!! 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0091IZ1ZG/?coliid=I1ZG98RD5WTWXN&colid=2M42WAC6LYENY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

My issue with it is from what I can see my only option for powering all the drives would be to have sata splitters since there isn't a backplane. 

I am currently using a Cooler master HAF XB EVO

https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Motherboard/dp/B00FFJ0H3Q/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3D87824K168KQ&keywords=cooler+master+haf+xb+evo&qid=1568047265&s=gateway&sprefix=cooler+master+haf%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-4

It can hold up to 6 3.5" HDDs if you use adapters for the 2 disk drive bays. But I am getting close to reaching 6 drives and I would like to find an actual rack case. 

My criteria is this:

Rack mount case

accommodates atx boards

Supports more than 10 3.5" drives

I would like for it to have some form of back-plane where a standard atx psu can power all the drives. 

Allows for full height pcie cards (gpu for plex transcoding)

120mm fans or larger (does not have to be a silent case but quiet enough for a closed door to hide the noise)

If you want full height PCI Express cards and that many HDDs, then 4U is pretty much the minimum height.

What's your budget and where are you located?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

I would look something with hot-swap HDD cages, makes life easier. You can add those afterwards too but you should count that when looking the prices. Those internal HDD cages look like lot of work on that rosewill.

I would look something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811219031

I use Proliant ML30 that's normal ATX style case with 4 hot-swap drives, but using those to add drives can't be easier. You don't need to disassemble your case when adding drives.

19 hours ago, jj9987 said:

If you want full height PCI Express cards and that many HDDs, then 4U is pretty much the minimum height.

What's your budget and where are you located?

I'm fine with it being 4U, I'd prefer that actually since it's probably going to be my main server for the next few years. 

My budget it preferably around 150-250 

I'm not against used server chaises I just don't know what will work for me and the last thing I want to do is spend $100 on shipping an item that doesn't fit my needs. 

19 hours ago, Rusted said:

I would look something with hot-swap HDD cages, makes life easier. You can add those afterwards too but you should count that when looking the prices. Those internal HDD cages look like lot of work on that rosewill.

I would look something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811219031

I use Proliant ML30 that's normal ATX style case with 4 hot-swap drives, but using those to add drives can't be easier. You don't need to disassemble your case when adding drives.

That one looks close to what I'm looking for, it's a little pricey for where I'm at. It would also add a bit more expense if the fans are too loud. I have plenty of extra pwm 120mm fans laying around that I could use for upgrading but it used 80mm fans, if I'm spending that much I'd rather not have to mod the case.