Help me decide!!!

TryHard_Dev

Should I buy a laptop or desktop for coding? I have a choice for a laptop the HP Chromebook but I don't have a choice for a PC yet and I doubt the fact that my parents are gonna let me build a PC even though I know now thanks to Linus.

3 minutes ago, TryHard_Dev said:

Should I buy a laptop or desktop for coding?

Um, mate. The form-factor has jack-shit to do with programming. Choose whichever you like.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Do NOT buy a Chromebook. They are usually horrid. Abominable screens, lackluster build quality, poor reliability and durability, severely underpowered CPU, no upgrade options and eMMC storage..just don't cause yourself such pain. Either get an Android tablet or a proper notebook. Not a Chromebook. That is, unless you want to waste money.

19 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Do NOT buy a Chromebook. They are usually horrid. Abominable screens, lackluster build quality, poor reliability and durability, severely underpowered CPU, no upgrade options and eMMC storage..just don't cause yourself such pain. Either get an Android tablet or a proper notebook. Not a Chromebook. That is, unless you want to waste money.

I knew that but thanks for reminding me.

Just now, TryHard_Dev said:

I knew that but thanks for reminding me.

If your budget is low, look for a refurbished business laptop from Dell/HP or Lenovo's outlets. They come with full warranty, are usually very cheap and in mint condition. Great value and performance for anything from coding to virtualization.

Just to reiterate the above points, I would very much recommend against the Chromebook. From there, the decision is super easy. Do you want to code on the go? Get the laptop. Only coding at home? Get the desktop.

14 hours ago, Rainfur said:

Just to reiterate the above points, I would very much recommend against the Chromebook. From there, the decision is super easy. Do you want to code on the go? Get the laptop. Only coding at home? Get the desktop.

I am basically always at home and I only get out once a month to visit my brother

and once a week to go to the mall. And I go to school 5-6 days a week.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:32 AM, TryHard_Dev said:

I am basically always at home and I only get out once a month to visit my brother

and once a week to go to the mall. And I go to school 5-6 days a week.

Desktop will get you more for your money. Depends on what you would rather have/what your priorities are. Portability over affordability.

Computers r fun

Do you need a laptop? As in, do you want to be able to take it with you? If so, get a used thinkpad.

Otherwise, just build a PC.

If you are on a low budget and absolutely want a laptop, look for refurbish or used. If you want new look for AMD A10 or A12 processors (or more recent if it exist) they are decent to program even light OpenGL stuff. Yes boot time is not great but for on the fly thing in the 300$ range it's very good. Got an A10 for my brother 2-3 years ago and he program for fun Java and C#, Light photoshop works for his board game company and he can even run Diablo 3 and Heroes of the Storm on Low graphics.