Is my GPU faulty?

Ultranub
Hi all,

Just got my first (desktop) PC, chose all the parts and it was built for me before being sent out. Aaaaaand ever since I've got it I've basically been troubleshooting, because there's been a vast array of weird problems. Mostly with games.
So first, I try Doom and Spyro, and both freeze and lock up the PC in no more than ten minutes (while using a DisplayPort cable). Then later on, I try Spyro again, and suddenly everything's looking a hell of a lot darker than usual.
Then after THAT, I launch Sekiro, and somehow my screen looks like this.
Somehow I get out of that, can't remember how, but then I discover that turning HDR on in the game makes the screen look like this (without it it's fine).
So I take the DisplayPort out and try playing with the HDMI, which went fine for 20 minutes or so. Then, with the game closed, I put the DisplayPort back in and it starts displaying my screen at 480p. Then I take it out, put it back in again after a few minutes and suddenly it's fine.

THEN I go back to Spyro with the DP, all is fine for about 40 minutes. After that, I launch Sekiro... and my PC restarts.

So yeah, have barely had this machine for 24 hours and I'm already at a complete loss.

Specs:
NZXT H500 Mid Tower Gaming Case
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz
Corsair TX650M 650W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" HDD
x2 BitFenix Spectre PWM 140mm Fan - White
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 8GB
Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO (non-Wifi) Motherboard

Other random issues that probably aren't related but I'll list them anyway just in case:
  • Windows Store is completely screwed and doesn't launch, nothing I've looked up has helped. Related apps like Photos and Mail are the same.
  • CPU cooler (stock) is surprisingly loud as hell. Even just during general browsing it sounds like it's preparing for liftoff (video). It's literally never quiet. Not sure if that's normal, but it sure is distracting.
  • Various apps/files have told me I don't have the permission to view them, or something along those lines. I looked up some solutions and had no luck.
  • I actually already reset the entire PC (kept my personal files but removed all apps/settings) because I was having issues with the taskbar - search bar, Windows button, volume button etc weren't working. That's fine now.

I do have the latest drivers installed, and the problem definitely isn't the monitor as I used it for about a month with a laptop before the PC arrived.

I did a bit more troubleshooting until the crack of dawn last night, and found that Sekiro is consistently effed with the DP cable unless I plug it out and put it back in - although, at one point I took it out and my PC restarted. HDMI seems fine.

I also tried to download some apps from the disc that came with my motherboard a while ago and my PC randomly restarted in the middle of it. Only the HDMI was connected at this point.

Gut feeling tells me my GPU is screwed, which would honestly be a huge pain as it's hard to get in stock at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Dont source me on this not fully sure on this topic but if I had to guess it might be 

1. Faulty 

2. Not plugged in correctly

3. Issue with drivers 

Try to go step by step to trouble shoot and if it still does the same thing then someone else could help you on here if this helps at all

2 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

Dont source me on this not fully sure on this topic but if I had to guess it might be 

1. Faulty 

2. Not plugged in correctly

3. Issue with drivers 

Try to go step by step to trouble shoot and if it still does the same thing then someone else could help you on here if this helps at all

Hm, OK. At first I thought it might be the DP cable, but a bad cable isn't really capable of randomly restarting your PC, is it?

Just now, Ultranub said:

Hm, OK. At first I thought it might be the DP cable, but a bad cable isn't really capable of randomly restarting your PC, is it?

Wait when you shut ur PC off like boot windows and then hard turn it off does it start and stop non stop? If so it might be something with your psu if I'm not mistaking

I don't think any cables are at fault. How new is your gpu? When did you buy it?

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

Wait when you shut ur PC off like boot windows and then hard turn it off does it start and stop non stop? If so it might be something with your psu if I'm not mistaking

I'm pretty sure it hasn't done that, no.

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

I don't think any cables are at fault. How new is your gpu? When did you buy it?

I got it along with everything else yesterday. I bought the GPU in late August.

11 minutes ago, Ultranub said:

I'm pretty sure it hasn't done that, no.

I got it along with everything else yesterday. I bought the GPU in late August.

Hmmm I think it might be the gpu bust still double check with someone else who is going to reply here. Don't want to make you do the wrong thing.

There's a lot to go through here.  First I want to ask if you contacted the person who built the system to see if they can fix a faulty product?

You've already troubleshot quite a bit, but bear with me.

1: Use Display diver uninstaller (DDU) and reinstall your graphics drivers.

2: Remove any overclocking you did on the gpu or cpu

3: Get a flashlight and inspect the DP cable and port. Try another DP cable if possible.

4: Physically check to see if the gpu is seated all the way and power cables are *clicked* in.

5: Download software to monitor your cpu/gpu temps.

6: Run a benchmark such as 3Dmark and watch temps.

7: See if there is an older GPU driver that might work, use DDU to clean up before and after.

I would do this last, but check your bios version and see if there is any updates.

There may be more things to test, but you might be better off sending it back to seller.

35 minutes ago, CADGuy23 said:

There's a lot to go through here.  First I want to ask if you contacted the person who built the system to see if they can fix a faulty product?

3: Get a flashlight and inspect the DP cable and port. Try another DP cable if possible.

4: Physically check to see if the gpu is seated all the way and power cables are *clicked* in.

7: See if there is an older GPU driver that might work, use DDU to clean up before and after.

I would do this last, but check your bios version and see if there is any updates.

There may be more things to test, but you might be better off sending it back to seller.

I have "3 year collect and return warranty", so I don't think replacing it will be a problem. They just need to have it in stock, which is... not common at the moment. I was surprised they even got it when I purchased it.

They updated the bios before it was sent out to me. Pretty sure it's on version F41.

I'll try those steps shortly, thank you. Haven't overclocked anything, though.

4 hours ago, CADGuy23 said:

Hey, I used DDU to reinstall the drivers and... surprisingly, it's been fine ever since. Been a few hours now. I'm a bit paranoid as to whether it's completely fixed, but so far I've launched Sekiro about five or six times, let it run for 60+ minutes with the DP cable and experienced no problems. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I wanted to uninstall the drivers but didn't know what software to use.

Is that really it, though? Visual glitches with a bad driver I can understand, but are they actually capable of making your PC restart randomly?

18 hours ago, Ultranub said:

Hey, I used DDU to reinstall the drivers and... surprisingly, it's been fine ever since. Been a few hours now. I'm a bit paranoid as to whether it's completely fixed, but so far I've launched Sekiro about five or six times, let it run for 60+ minutes with the DP cable and experienced no problems. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I wanted to uninstall the drivers but didn't know what software to use.

Is that really it, though? Visual glitches with a bad driver I can understand, but are they actually capable of making your PC restart randomly?

You can uninstall the drivers without DDU in windows, but it doesn't clean everything 100% like DDU does. DDU fixes a majority of graphic issues and is a godsend. 

Basically if the drivers stop working, the hardware stops working and it crashes, so yes it can.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've done my fair share of troubleshooting lol. I'm glad I could help.

If you still have issues and it's not temperature related, it could be power delivery which in that case I would call their customer support. Don't sweat it though, just enjoy your PC.