MSI Gaming Pro Carbon 8+4 CPU power?

Dizz_Man
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,

the extra 4 pin is useless and doesnt do anything other than looking impressive on a board. 

the same is said about an extra 8 pin. 

this is because a minimum spec 8 pin EPS connector can deliver 384 watts to the CPU. which you wont exceed with a consumer CPU without resorting to liquid nitrogen. also the VRM is likely to blow up before the 384 watt is reached. 

edit: also good luck cooling 384 watts

To try and keep this as short as possible. I plan to buy a R5 3600, I want to put it in the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon B450 motherboard.

I want to know if it is absolutely necessary to have both the 8 pin and 4 pin plugged in to have a normal stable gaming /  light work experience.

Yes I may throw an all core overclock on to the CPU

I also plan on buying the Corsair RM650x PSU. On the off chance I need to have the extra 4 pin, will this PSU have it avaliable? (not out the the box of course I know it only has 2* 4pin eps included)

As in can I buy an extra cable for it to achieve 8 pin + 4 pin?

EPS question MSI mobo.JPG

Single 8pin will provide enough power even for high overclock.  4pin connector is there just for show and marketing.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

the extra 4 pin is useless and doesnt do anything other than looking impressive on a board. 

the same is said about an extra 8 pin. 

this is because a minimum spec 8 pin EPS connector can deliver 384 watts to the CPU. which you wont exceed with a consumer CPU without resorting to liquid nitrogen. also the VRM is likely to blow up before the 384 watt is reached. 

edit: also good luck cooling 384 watts