RX 580 8GB vs GTX 1060 6GB for video renderering, photo editing and light - medium gaming

Hi. I would like to apologize in advance for probably asking this question for a bajillionth time. 

Due to over budgeting the other components in my build, my choice for graphics card boiled down to these two famous lower-mid range cards. The RX 580 8gb and the GTX 1060 6GB. 

If my main use case is to do 1080p video editing, photo editing and some occasional casual gaming, which one of the two should I get? I used Adobe Premier for a while now and heard that it doesn't play well with AMD GPUs. I could switch to a different program like DaVinci Resolve if the benefits outweigh the setback the but it's gonna take some time to adjust. 

I'm going to pair it with the R7 2700x and 16GB of 3000mhz ram if this information helps. 

Thanks a lot for reading.

1 minute ago, Dtl1507 said:

Doesn't really matter, is the RX 580 8GB cheaper at all? I'd stick to it for the bit of extra VRAM.

Just pick the right codec for rendering so your GPU gets utilizied well.

Also you can get Vegas Pro 15/16 for really cheap on ebay and not have to worry about sub frees. It was previously better optimized for AMD.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Doesn't really matter, is the RX 580 8GB cheaper at all? I'd stick to it for the bit of extra VRAM.

Just pick the right codec for rendering so your GPU gets utilizied well.

Also you can get Vegas Pro 15/16 for really cheap on ebay and not have to worry about sub frees. It was previously better optimized for AMD.

Prices for these two are generally around the same, 200-220 CAD used. There are some 1660 or 1070 around 275 but most of them are either not covered by warranty or missing the original box so I'm a little bit hesitant about getting them.

I used to use Vegas Pro for a short while before moving to Premier Pro so going back to it takes a while to get used to, but I can live with it if the 580 is really that much more appealing.

Thanks for the input!

For Adobe, the 1060 would be my pick

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, Dtl1507 said:

Prices for these two are generally around the same, 200-220 CAD used. There are some 1660 or 1070 around 275 but most of them are either not covered by warranty or missing the original box so I'm a little bit hesitant about getting them.

i would spend the extra for a 1070...it's a lot more powerful GPU...worth it in the long run for sure.

i wouldn't mind no warranty or box so long as the card is working and clean

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3609vs3639

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

For Adobe, the 1060 would be my pick

Yeah I think that it should be more compatible with Adobe programs. It can work with with AMD GPUs but there are some hurdles to jump. Thanks for the input!-

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i would spend the extra for a 1070...it's a lot more powerful GPU...worth it in the long run for sure.

i wouldn't mind no warranty or box so long as the card is working and clean

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3609vs3639

I thought about it a lot since I don't mind spending a more to be a bit more future proof, it's just the thought that it could drop dead after a few months of use and there's nothing I can do about it freaks me out a little bit. 

Just a sidenote, how do you feel about cards that were used for mining? Not much information was provided (mining condition, card condition, mining duration...), just that they're no longer under warranty and still has original box.

Thanks a lot for the help!

4 minutes ago, Dtl1507 said:

I thought about it a lot since I don't mind spending a more to be a bit more future proof, it's just the thought that it could drop dead after a few months of use and there's nothing I can do about it freaks me out a little bit. 

Just a sidenote, how do you feel about cards that were used for mining? Not much information was provided (mining condition, card condition, mining duration...), just that they're no longer under warranty and still has original box.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Typically most miners used to undervolt the cards a fair bit and trottle down the frequencies to save on power and heat and make more money...so if the card is working and priced well i wouldn't mind personally.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 hours ago, Dtl1507 said:

Hi. I would like to apologize in advance for probably asking this question for a bajillionth time. 

Due to over budgeting the other components in my build, my choice for graphics card boiled down to these two famous lower-mid range cards. The RX 580 8gb and the GTX 1060 6GB. 

If my main use case is to do 1080p video editing, photo editing and some occasional casual gaming, which one of the two should I get? I used Adobe Premier for a while now and heard that it doesn't play well with AMD GPUs. I could switch to a different program like DaVinci Resolve if the benefits outweigh the setback the but it's gonna take some time to adjust. 

I'm going to pair it with the R7 2700x and 16GB of 3000mhz ram if this information helps. 

Thanks a lot for reading.

editing and such stuff are just better on nvidia gpu's. and the 1060 isnt bad at 1080p gaming either. you can get a used 1070 and all but i always advice against buying used gpu's. (not selling used gpu's though ;))

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

I would recommend the 580 for the extra vram but get the newer nvidea generation cards with the nvenc cores (1660Ti or 1660 or 2060) and you wouldnt even have to bother about used up vram as the nvenc cores take care of video editing, photo editing and casual gaming ( apex high 1080p -60fps)(csgo medium 200fps)(minecraft -high 1080p no mods, 100fps, survival with server running) (rainbow six +80fps 1080p high)

I used adobe premier even on the maxq version and streamed on it and it was hella fine.

helps if youre running on at least an hybrid drive for editing and ssd for gaming.

23 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Typically most miners used to undervolt the cards a fair bit and trottle down the frequencies to save on power and heat and make more money...so if the card is working and priced well i wouldn't mind personally.

Sorry for the late reply. I listened to your advice and just got an used Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming used from someone for 260. It's still under warranty cover until September 2020 and comes with the internal box (no color outer cover) so I'm really excited to put everything together. Thanks a lot for the advice!

20 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

editing and such stuff are just better on nvidia gpu's. and the 1060 isnt bad at 1080p gaming either. you can get a used 1070 and all but i always advice against buying used gpu's. (not selling used gpu's though ;))

Yeah there's a certain risk in buying used components, but I gambled on one so hopefully it pays off. Can't wait to put it together. Thanks for the advice!

20 hours ago, fatalz said:

I would recommend the 580 for the extra vram but get the newer nvidea generation cards with the nvenc cores (1660Ti or 1660 or 2060) and you wouldnt even have to bother about used up vram as the nvenc cores take care of video editing, photo editing and casual gaming ( apex high 1080p -60fps)(csgo medium 200fps)(minecraft -high 1080p no mods, 100fps, survival with server running) (rainbow six +80fps 1080p high)

I used adobe premier even on the maxq version and streamed on it and it was hella fine.

helps if youre running on at least an hybrid drive for editing and ssd for gaming.

I looked at the 2060 in particular but the price for those are still high, even in the secondhand market, probably because they're relatively new cards and rarely up for sale. So I took a 3 hour two-way trip to get a used 1070 for 260cad (200 usd), hopefully it will be alright. 

I got a 500gb Samsung PM981 (OEM 970 Evo) so hopefully it should last for a while. Games and other data will be stored on a 2TB WD Purple that I got as birthday present. It's not a fast drive by any mean (5400rpm) but at least I'll have more options once I have more budget to upgrade.

Thanks a lot for the advices!

14 hours ago, Dtl1507 said:

Yeah there's a certain risk in buying used components, but I gambled on one so hopefully it pays off. Can't wait to put it together. Thanks for the advice!

on a 1060 or a 1070? if you have a 1070 and it worked out you got a great card :) still can do 1440p high settings at most. and 1080p ultra shouldnt be an issue haha

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate