[QUESTION] What are the advanteges and disadvanteges of Windows 10, Ubuntu and MacOS?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Ubuntu, Windows 10, and MacOS? Preferably the latest versions. Also what unique features makes them special? What technology/ies? Why others have only 1 or more OSes?

I'm just wondering, I hope I get answers from an experienced users, or maybe you could elaborate your experiences. Thanks! ^_^

It would be easier to answer if you shared what you're looking for in an operating system.

Each have their pros and cons as they appeal to different demographics. Your use case will determine which (or combination of which) will yield the best performance/experience for you.

So, what do you need the computer to do for you?

No. 1 thing for Linux: IT'S OPEN SOURCE

can't comment on Cons because I don't use ubuntu

I would say Windows has the most compatibility for drivers and software, aka more devs make stuff for Windows

Windows also has annoying auto updates

I'm not too familiar with OSX, so can't say on that

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

MacOS advantages: runs great on Macs and works great with other Apple products.

Linux advantages: literally everything

Windows advantages: N/A Some specific programs/software like Adobe suite

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

It would be easier to answer if you shared what you're looking for in an operating system.

Sorry if you think it's broad, but that's what I want to know :( Those Whys and the what.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Each have their pros and cons as they appeal to different demographics. Your use case will determine which (or combination of which) will yield the best performance/experience for you.

So, what do you need the computer to do for you?

I'm already a Windows user since then and I am just wondering what are the Pros and Cons of each of them and why others uses only 1 or more OSes, maybe you could give some of your experience?

3 minutes ago, Gegger said:

No. 1 thing for Linux: IT'S OPEN SOURCE

can't comment on Cons because I don't use ubuntu

I would say Windows has the most compatibility for drivers and software, aka more devs make stuff for Windows

Windows also has annoying auto updates

I'm not too familiar with OSX, so can't say on that

Thank you for your honest opinion :) It some how gave me an idea.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

MacOS advantages: runs great on Macs and works great with other Apple products.

Linux advantages: literally everything

Windows advantages: N/A Some specific programs/software like Adobe suite

Thank you for your answer :D

1 minute ago, Shnxxx said:

Sorry if you think it's broad, but that's what I want to know :( Those Whys and the what.

Well to give some kind of answer, while Ubuntu is not my favorite Linux distro, I do use the CLI/server version a lot for no non-sense servers. My favorite desktop Linux distro is Manjaro with the KDE desktop environment. I use Windows when I have to for its broad compatibility on a hardware and software level. Sometimes you have no choice. I like Mac OS for ecosystem integration and overall ability if you have a bunch of Apple devices (I do).

The pro of  OSX is the amazing integration with other apple devices. Swiping your phone tab onto your desktop feels so good.

My life

3 hours ago, Shnxxx said:

I'm already a Windows user since then and I am just wondering what are the Pros and Cons of each of them and why others uses only 1 or more OSes, maybe you could give some of your experience?

I don't have much experience with MacOS. So I can't comment there, but Windows is great when it comes to ease-of-use, nearly entirely GUI controlled, application stability, & drivers but has a tendency to BSOD if you so much as sneeze at it. Updates are forcibly installed which can change menu layouts, and can sometimes make the computer stop working.

Linux is great when you want to try something different, it's quite a bit more CLI incorporated. In fact for a lot of things you'll likely find yourself in the CLI more than the GUI, ease-of-installation, installing programs is very easy (from packages), updates can be postponed indefinitely or even skipped. You can change your desktop to be something completely different. Linux really is like Lego building blocks where you can customize and make it your own all the way down to the System Kernel. Unfortunately, if you don't know what you're doing Linux can be really easy to brick. Installed programs aren't always stable (may not work), troubleshooting problems can be trickier, installing drivers is a mountain you have to climb.

Those are the immediate experiences I can give you.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:49 AM, Shnxxx said:

Why others have only 1 or more OSes?

Because all OSs fill their niche. (Except Linux which only has niches where other OSs came first.)

Write in C.