need something better than corsair H115i, but don't want custom loop

So my 115i with a pair of Corsair ML140 fans is barely handling my 3900x in the summer.  I'm not overclocking, but the temps are getting up there.

Is there an AIO on the market that can give me a reasonable improvement without having to go custom loop?

I'm not an expert! In fact I'm usually just 1 google search ahead of you. 

Do you have the room to mount a 360mm radiator?

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

10 minutes ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

Do you have the room to mount a 360mm radiator?

I do... from what i've been reading a lot of the 360mm kits aren't that much better, but I'm all ears!

What case do you use?

As far as better Aio's the one you have is up there already, maybe try re-mounting, you possibly have poor contact.

36 minutes ago, NoCarrier said:

So my 115i with a pair of Corsair ML140 fans is barely handling my 3900x in the summer.  I'm not overclocking, but the temps are getting up there.

Is there an AIO on the market that can give me a reasonable improvement without having to go custom loop?

That's odd - are you overclocking? Cuase a 240mm AIO is more than enough for the 3900X. Even the stock Wraith Prism is enough to keep it under normal temps. Check your pump and mounting. Make sure the fans are spinning and the pump isn't stuck or dead.

I have a Corsair Airflow 750d ..  I mean it's "working" but during the summer when I'm not running A/C and the ambient temp is on the high side, it struggles a bit.

53 minutes ago, NoCarrier said:

I have a Corsair Airflow 750d ..  I mean it's "working" but during the summer when I'm not running A/C and the ambient temp is on the high side, it struggles a bit.

It shouldn't run hot on that...there's something wrong here. What temps are you seeing?

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

That's odd - are you overclocking? Cuase a 240mm AIO is more than enough for the 3900X. Even the stock Wraith Prism is enough to keep it under normal temps. Check your pump and mounting. Make sure the fans are spinning and the pump isn't stuck or dead.

Not really.

PBO that 3900x hits high 80's and if your ambient is high low 90's.

360 might help you but the low flow rate of the aio's are trash.

Between a custom loop D5, 240 raid and XC5 block i saw a 15c drop in temps vs a H115i pro.  The issue is the aio's just cant deal with the focused heat from the 7nm cores and cant dump it fast enough.  You have 3 options.

Go with highend air

Go with a custom loop

Just deal with high temps.

I ran your same cooling set up on a 3900x personally and i can tell you its not upto the task. The H115i pro could barley cool it stock why a custom loop cools it with a 4.4ghz oc no problem. With out the AC on in Georgia.  Outside of a custom loop you wont see any reasonable improvement . Highend air will help dump the heat faster but still wont get your temps that much lower.  Custom loop is really the only option to get good temps on a 3900x without gimping the cpu.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:54 PM, NoCarrier said:

The included fans aren't really that good.

Just replace the fans with a pair of Noctuas 1500rpm (or more) fans. Their 1500Rpm versions have just about the same dB's, but move more air.

I did and it helped.

Try it before replacing the entire AIO

On 9/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, NoCarrier said:

Which H115i are you running in your 750D?  Pro Series, Platinum Series?  What kind of temps are you seeing for your coolant in iCUE?  Which Pump Speed do you have it set to (Quiet, Balanced, Extreme)?

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

16 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Which H115i are you running in your 750D?  Pro Series, Platinum Series?  What kind of temps are you seeing for your coolant in iCUE?  Which Pump Speed do you have it set to (Quiet, Balanced, Extreme)?

^^^

Also the 115i is a 280mm AIO, those perform better than most of the 360s, and the Corsair/NZXT/EVGA models all perform about the same, they're all based off Asetek designs due to patents and such so the only real variable is cosmetics and the fans. 

It should easily cool the 3900X, they're not massively hot chips and 280mm AIOs are even with/slightly below the NH-D15 and such. I've ran a 280mm AIO (the EVGA CLC 280) on my 8600K and even pumped up to 1.4v into that and it was fine, and my NH-D15 I've ran with everything up to an OCed 5820K and it kept everything under control. You'll wanna check your settings like Nick said, it should have no problems cooling that CPU. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

23 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

I have the first 115i that came out, forgot which one.. then i tossed the fans it came with and bought a pair of the the ML140s (first generation as well) ..  idle is around 50C, under load its around high 80s to mid 90s C when the weather has been bad.