synology/qnap NAS drag and drop files?

fael097

hey, can I make a sylology or a qnap NAS a network drive, so I can drag and drop files into it, or even download files from my computer straight into it?

If you look at the QNAP Folder from the Network menu in File Explorer you can right click it and it'll give you the option to map it as a network drive. It'll then show up under This PC as a Network HDD and tell you how much space you have left. A nice feature of Windows.

oh that's great. I was wondering cuz I read a sketchy review saying you couldn't do something like that. 

but let me go ahead and ask, qnap TS-231P-US or synology DS218j ? both are around the same price, same capacity but qnap's hardware seems better

2 hours ago, fael097 said:

oh that's great. I was wondering cuz I read a sketchy review saying you couldn't do something like that. 

but let me go ahead and ask, qnap TS-231P-US or synology DS218j ? both are around the same price, same capacity but qnap's hardware seems better

if your using it for basic file sharing it won't matter, it takes very little computer hardware to do it. If you want to do other things, what are they?

16 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

if your using it for basic file sharing it won't matter, it takes very little computer hardware to do it. If you want to do other things, what are they?

mostly file sharing and media streaming from android devices.

oh, and playing video files from it on windows devices without copying them over, you know? I don't know if that counts as media streaming, but it's really important that this works, although I think it relies on bandwidth more than nas hardware, right?

1 hour ago, fael097 said:

mostly file sharing and media streaming from android devices.

oh, and playing video files from it on windows devices without copying them over, you know? I don't know if that counts as media streaming, but it's really important that this works, although I think it relies on bandwidth more than nas hardware, right?

if your playing a video from a file share, the hardware in the nas won't matter.

A cheap 2 bay nas should work fine for you here, band won't matter.