X570 Mobo wont recognise NVME M.2 SSD as boot drive

alexjt11

Just bought an MSI X570 Mobo. I've got 2 NVME M.2 SSDs installed on the mobo. Windows recognised the drive in the install gui but when I added in my sata SSDs I now have to manually select it from the boot menu upon post.

Any ideas?

Do I need to install on UEFI? I have experience installing windows so I know thats not a problem. I can't see any clear settings in the mobo to allow me to do this.

Any ideas appreciated.

So you have two Windows installations one on the M.2 and one on the SATA SSD? Or is the SATA SSD just a storage drive?

Did you make sure the SATA port you plugged the SSD into isn't being used by the M.2?

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So you have two Windows installations one on the M.2 and one on the SATA SSD? Or is the SATA SSD just a storage drive?

Did you make sure the SATA port you plugged the SSD into isn't being used by the M.2?

So, there is only one installation of windows on all my harddrives, which is on the M.2 SSD.

I didnt think the M.2 would use a Sata port? 

Just now, alexjt11 said:

So, there is only one installation of windows on all my harddrives, which is on the M.2 SSD.

I didnt think the M.2 would use a Sata port? 

That depends on the board and which slot was used. Do you have the exact model number for your MSI x570 board?

16 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

Actually you know what. I think I started us down a worthless rabbit-hole. Lets check something else first. Is the M.2 in your boot order list? If it's not in the list it's not going to boot to it.

If you can manually boot it (usually from F10 or F11) then it should be an option to add to the boot list. It's not impossible for the motherboard to see you plug in the SSD and replace the M.2 as your primary HDD boot option. If it's not the primary it may not boot to it at all.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Actually you know what. I think I started us down a worthless rabbit-hole. Lets check something else first. Is the M.2 in your boot order list? If it's not in the list it's not going to boot to it.

If you can manually boot it (usually from F10 or F11) then it should be an option to add to the boot list. It's not impossible for the motherboard to see you plug in the SSD and replace the M.2 as your primary HDD boot option. If it's not the primary it may not boot to it at all.

This is what I thought. But looks like it is possible. 

So the M.2, when F11 is pressed appears as a bootable option, and I'm currently on that OS. But when I come to set it as a boot option, it's not there. Infact none of my hdds but 1 appears. But that has been wiped clean. 

I will try unplugging it to see if that makes a difference. But im at a loss with it too. Doubt I would have a faulty mobo?

1 minute ago, alexjt11 said:

This is what I thought. But looks like it is possible. 

So the M.2, when F11 is pressed appears as a bootable option, and I'm currently on that OS. But when I come to set it as a boot option, it's not there. Infact none of my hdds but 1 appears. But that has been wiped clean. 

I will try unplugging it to see if that makes a difference. But im at a loss with it too. Doubt I would have a faulty mobo?

I've often found there's more than 1 menu. It always varies dependent on motherboard manufacturer but it's common to see your boot option list then sub-menu options that let you pick a different drive as the primary. The primary then replaces what's visible in the boot order list so I'm willing to bet your drives are there you just need to find the menu.

A little later I might dive back into your motherboard manual. It may provide pictures I can use for reference.

Eh, why not I'm looking at it right now. Let's see:

Boot Option Priorities

These items are used to prioritize the installed boot devices.

Do you see this option under Settings -> Boot?

You'd want to set the M.2 as the Boot Priority. My current assumption is your SATA SSD took it's place (not your doing, BIOS did it itself). I could be wrong this is just my current hunch.

48 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Eh, why not I'm looking at it right now. Let's see:

Do you see this option under Settings -> Boot?

You'd want to set the M.2 as the Boot Priority. My current assumption is your SATA SSD took it's place (not your doing, BIOS did it itself). I could be wrong this is just my current hunch.

Sitrep.

I've got it to boot to the M.2 SSD on its own.

Problem. I had to disconnect the two SATA SSDs I had in there to make it work. So, me thinks that the harddrive format must have something to do with it, as both SSDs used to have Windows on them at some point in their lives. 

Could there be some truth in that?

Also the two other SATA HDDs I have in there are not registering as OS bootable options, and they haven't.

I so prefer working on commercial workstations and servers, theyre so simple!

1 hour ago, alexjt11 said:

Sitrep.

I've got it to boot to the M.2 SSD on its own.

Problem. I had to disconnect the two SATA SSDs I had in there to make it work. So, me thinks that the harddrive format must have something to do with it, as both SSDs used to have Windows on them at some point in their lives. 

Could there be some truth in that?

Also the two other SATA HDDs I have in there are not registering as OS bootable options, and they haven't.

I so prefer working on commercial workstations and servers, theyre so simple!

If the SSD's were improperly wiped it is possible their boot loaders may still exist but that should result in some errors pooping up on the screen.

If you want to rule out data on the drives you can plug them into a different computer and wipe their data maps with the "clean" command. By doing so the BIOS would register them as empty drives and won't find any files to boot from them.

I'm currently in the process of trying to expand the physical storage of one of my servers by building my own DAS ^_^. Don't know if that interests you at all.

39 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If the SSD's were improperly wiped it is possible their boot loaders may still exist but that should result in some errors pooping up on the screen.

If you want to rule out data on the drives you can plug them into a different computer and wipe their data maps with the "clean" command. By doing so the BIOS would register them as empty drives and won't find any files to boot from them.

I'm currently in the process of trying to expand the physical storage of one of my servers by building my own DAS ^_^. Don't know if that interests you at all.

A DAS sounds fun, if ure into ure storage. I'm currently a little put off! :P

Well I have fixed my problem, but its annoying I now have two SSDs that can't be used. I will have to take them into work and wipe them on our machine.

• 3 months later...

Hi

The problem you have with M2 over the ssds is the boot type under Advanced settings generally. It's probably set to CSM, and should be UFEI. Of course as others suggested check boot priority and boot order. Under hard drive bbs change it the first entry to The M2 drive. Just had same issue and it resolved it. Hope this helps.