Potential CPU swap during upgrade

So I'll be upgrading my GPU in the very near future, and with my custom being torn down during the process to replace the CPU Block and a few other parts. As of this moment I have an 8700K, though it's not a brilliant one. Suffice to say I didn't win the silicon lottery, and even after a delidding and some Conductonaut application, I still couldn't squeeze more out of it. So I'm considering swapping it out for a 9900K, or 9900KF. I know that I won't a huge boost in performance, but I'm 99.9% certain that my Maximus X Formula should be able to handle the power to maintain a 5GHz all-core OC, if not better if I get lucky this time around

Going to a 2080Ti for the GPU upgrade, and yes, I'm well aware my 8700K would be able to hold it's own with a 2080Ti, but I can barely push it at a 5GHz all-core without it running toasty, and that is with the delidding. Mine just needs too high of a Vcore level to reach that (1.415-1.425v). Yeah, I know....

So here's the meat of the question, given my 8700K is a bit of a bust in OC potential, if I can get a 9900K or 9900KF discounted (there are a few places here in Europe, living in Ireland btw) is it worth just for the consistency I should be able to get with the switch? And am I right in believing my Formula X board should be able to handle it? While I'm not opposed to swapping out the board at the same time if it is needed too, I'd rather save some bucks if I can.

The formula can handle it, but the i7 9700K should be more appropriate for gaming purposes only. The 9900K is a serious power hog, would be a waste for gaming purposes.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

17 minutes ago, Ev0lut10n said:

I can barely push it at a 5GHz all-core without it running toasty, and that is with the delidding. Mine just needs too high of a Vcore level to reach that (1.415-1.425v). Yeah, I know....

Unless you have a total lemon, your OC settings must be wrong, have you touched loadline?

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The formula can handle it, but the i7 9700K should be more appropriate for gaming purposes only. The 9900K is a serious power hog, would be a waste for gaming purposes.

Well a 9700k would be a sidegrade at best.

You'd have to be insane to replace an i7 8700K for an i9 9900K at this point.

No, if all you do is game the i7 8700K will drive the 2080 Ti just fine, hells my locked i7 8700 does it already. Getting GPU Bound is far more likely so adding 2c/4t is not needed yet.

It is true the tendency is that octa-cores will become the new high end norm, but you still have years until then and it ain't the 2080 Ti that is going to seriously push you to it.

What you realistically should do is keep the i7 8700K as is and only concern yourself with upgrading the processor and whole platform when Intel brings 10nm or 7nm architectures to their desktop space, buying Coffee Lake Refresh while having an i7 8700K just to game is a waste of money.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Well a 9700k would be a sidegrade at best.

Well so would an i9 for, like I said, gaming only. Since overclocking is the focus, the soldered IHS and pre binned nature of 9th gen processors would go a long way.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Well so would an i9 for, like I said, gaming only. Since overclocking is the focus, the soldered IHS and pre binned nature of 9th gen processors would go a long way.

Soldered IHS is worse than delided 8700k. So the only difference is the silicon quality(bin). Imo ive never seen an 8700k that bad. I bet his settings are wrong.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Soldered IHS is worse than delided 8700k. So the only difference is the silicon quality(bin). Imo ive never seen an 8700k that bad. I bet his settings are wrong.

And again, like I've mentioned:

My locked i7 8700 is locked at 4.45ghz all cores, playing at high resolutions like 3440x1440p and 4k I have always been GPU bound.... so unless he is trying to do 1080p240hz which god forbid he is this shouldn't be a problem... 4.7~4.9ghz is perfectly adequate for gaming.

5ghz is not a magical number that makes gaming outstanding all of sudden.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Soldered IHS is worse than delided 8700k

by a very tiny amount

mo ive never seen an 8700k that bad.

trust me, there's silicon that bad out there. My old GTX 970 couldn't handle a 50MHz bump.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

And again, like I've mentioned:

My locked i7 8700 is locked at 4.45ghz all cores, playing at high resolutions like 3440x1440p and 4k I have always been GPU bound.... so unless he is trying to do 1080p240hz which god forbid he is this shouldn't be a problem... 4.7~4.9ghz is perfectly adequate for gaming.

5ghz is not a magical number that makes gaming outstanding all of sudden.

Thats not quite true, pushing past 60hz and aiming for 120hz+ you will see the difference between an 8700 and the 8700k at 5ghz+ even fast memory can make a big difference (depending on the game) at higher refresh rates.

What are your temps? My 8600k can do 5GHz with no special settings. Just 1.4v and no AVX offset under a Dark Rock Pro 4. I can't believe HT makes that big of a difference in overclocking.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

10 hours ago, TrigrH said:

I've probably spent the best part of a week going through everyting I could think of with my configuration settings, I can't confirm at the moment, as there are builders at my place reworking the heating system, but I'm fairly I ended up around Level 5 or 6 for LLC. I have been wracking my head with this for months, until I settled on the decision that I just got some bad silicon.

I'm also certain the memory controller on this chip is a PoS as well, even without any extreme OC settings, just XMP with some voltage adjustment shows signs of memory instability.

10 hours ago, SenKa said:

What are your temps? My 8600k can do 5GHz with no special settings. Just 1.4v and no AVX offset under a Dark Rock Pro 4. I can't believe HT makes that big of a difference in overclocking.

While at 5GHz, it easily hits 60c while at 40-50% load, and will hit 75-80c while above 80%%. Bare in mind that's while under WATER, and not an AIO either. And no, it's not the loop, as my GPU is on the same loop and that never goes above 55c, so there's nothing gunking the blocks or impeding flow. That's with the settings required to keep it stable. If I reel it back down to just 4.8GHz, it hits 75c~ under full load. What's needed to keep it stable for the 200MHz increase is sickening. That is why I did the delidding in the first place, to try and reduce the high running temps while hard running. Seeing 95c temps while under 100% at 5GHz was mildly terrifying. And I like to try and push things, it's always been a interest of ever since I had my 2500K I couldget to 4.6GHz comfortably, must of had all my luck with that chip, 

This isnt about performance in GHz as it is performance in temperature.I'm well aware that 4.7-4.9GHz is fine for the sort of gaming I do. I run 2 2560x1440 144Hz monitors regularly, with a 3rd being added when I get the 2080Ti. I have 2 EK PE 480mm and a PE 240mm radiator in this loop, with just this 8700K, a GTX 980 and the VRM block from the Formula to cool, and Im tired of seeing obsurd temps while I'm not even pushing it that hard. 

Hene the title, it's a CPU swap out. Not for a second did I think this would be an upgrade in performance over my 8700K, and I never mentioned it as that.

To simplify it then: With my 8700K being the worst of the worst, should I just drop it and swap it out while I'm upgrading other things. Not a 'is this an upgrade' more of a 'this part isnt very good a what I want it to do, should I replace it while im chucking out other parts'

4 hours ago, Ev0lut10n said:

To simplify it then: With my 8700K being the worst of the worst, should I just drop it and swap it out while I'm upgrading other things. Not a 'is this an upgrade' more of a 'this part isnt very good a what I want it to do, should I replace it while im chucking out other parts'

In that case, yes! A computer is obsolete when it no longer does what you wish for it to do in an efficient manor. If what you wish for it to do is game at 5GHz then your CPU is more akin to an FX-9590 than a real 5GHz chip.

Given that you have ~$300 worth of radiators in your system it's quite clear you at least have some money to spare, so throw in an i9-9900KF and enjoy your 8 cores at 5GHz all core :D

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは