Android 10 To Fix 193 Open Vulnerabilities

6 hours ago, Trixanity said:

How do you figure Google cuts off updates? Google posts security patches monthly and feature updates yearly with no exception. The problem lies with implementing them on devices. Likewise to even make the patches they also rely on hardware vendors patching vulnerabilities and compatibilities. If a security issue is found in Android, it's up to Google to solve. If it's found in a Snapdragon 855, it's Qualcomm's job to solve etc etc. In both cases, they need to be developed and later merged into a security update. Then it's on phone manufacturers to test and implement these fixes into their own proprietary hardware and software implementation.

Android updates are a bigger clusterfuck than you seem to be aware of. The only way to solve it is to strip away customization. By customization I mean non-Android One implementations. Even Android One probably isn't too easy to deal with but it's certainly much better.

I agree that Google should be more strict in the requirements for compliance and therefore access to the ecosystem but I'm sure Google is afraid of the pushback and threats of cutting ties if they try to take control back. You see the same shit in their dealings with carriers. 

The big problem is two-fold: your average consumer hates updates for whatever reason and there is no money to be made off of long term support. Fix those and you'll probably see all parties involved willing to play ball. Even the messy clusterfuck that is Android could be dealt with if it was worth it. Alas, it just isn't.

Surely that is more a problem of the Android design and ecosystem. Linux and Windows for instance have to work on a far greater quantity of variable hardware, you somehow both can update all versions of the code with security releases far quicker than Android users have to put up with. If it is taking so long then there is a fundamnental flaw in the underlying structure of the OS.Apps should operate on a different layer to the OS therefore offering more protection.

2 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Surely that is more a problem of the Android design and ecosystem. Linux and Windows for instance have to work on a far greater quantity of variable hardware, you somehow both can update all versions of the code with security releases far quicker than Android users have to put up with. If it is taking so long then there is a fundamnental flaw in the underlying structure of the OS.Apps should operate on a different layer to the OS therefore offering more protection.

One of the problems is that each device has an essentially unique software build. In relation to that: phone manufacturers modify the system so if Google pushed an update it would break things. There are problems with Android, definitely, but the problems run deeper than Android itself.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

One of the problems is that each device has an essentially unique software build. In relation to that: phone manufacturers modify the system so if Google pushed an update it would break things. There are problems with Android, definitely, but the problems run deeper than Android itself.

The same could be applied to other OSs, but it just doesn't happen like that. If you design the ability to customise everything around a core code then many updates should be able to be applied and not affect the running of the overall system. It does seem Google are moving in that direction slowly. Whether a big compromise forces things along has yet to be seen.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:02 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Very cool. Now if only anyone would actually get the Android 10 update. 

https://developer.android.com/preview

Need to register for the beta manually until full release. No one has it auto-pushed yet. Not even my Pixel 3a has Android Q yet lol

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:02 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Very cool. Now if only anyone would actually get the Android 10 update. 

I'm already running it....

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, Phill104 said:

The same could be applied to other OSs, but it just doesn't happen like that. If you design the ability to customise everything around a core code then many updates should be able to be applied and not affect the running of the overall system. It does seem Google are moving in that direction slowly. Whether a big compromise forces things along has yet to be seen.

I'm not aware of any other OS distribution where third parties modify and run proprietary OS/system code that can be updated like from the source. Do you have any examples?

The solution I see is making a framework where the modifications exist on top of the OS with guidelines for compatibility so an OS update doesn't break it. However I'm not sure how Samsung could make code that supercedes Google's without a potential for problems if it hooks into and/or supplants core functionality. So we're possibly moving into the same issue of Google limiting partners and therefore pissing them off which seems to go against the MO of Google.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I'm not aware of any other OS distribution where third parties modify and run proprietary OS/system code that can be updated like from the source. Do you have any examples?

The solution I see is making a framework where the modifications exist on top of the OS with guidelines for compatibility so an OS update doesn't break it. However I'm not sure how Samsung could make code that supercedes Google's without a potential for problems if it hooks into and/or supplants core functionality. So we're possibly moving into the same issue of Google limiting partners and therefore pissing them off which seems to go against the MO of Google.

Not suggesting it is a trivial task, far from it. But how much do phone brands actually need to modify? For most the changes are skin or UI related, or drivers to support their individual hardware. Not much different to embedded Linux installs in some ways.

Hopefully they will gets there one day. We need multiple operating systems in the mobile arena both for competition and innovation. At the moment however, Android really does make it difficult for the average consumer to keep up to date and secure.

4 hours ago, Phill104 said:

Not suggesting it is a trivial task, far from it. But how much do phone brands actually need to modify? For most the changes are skin or UI related, or drivers to support their individual hardware. Not much different to embedded Linux installs in some ways.

Hopefully they will gets there one day. We need multiple operating systems in the mobile arena both for competition and innovation. At the moment however, Android really does make it difficult for the average consumer to keep up to date and secure.

Not at all, Android is very upgradeable, what makes it difficult is OEMs modifying the OS to suit their needs, you cannot blame Android for that. It's an open source base, what others choose to do with it is nothing to do with Android or Google.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Not at all, Android is very upgradeable, what makes it difficult is OEMs modifying the OS to suit their needs, you cannot blame Android for that. It's an open source base, what others choose to do with it is nothing to do with Android or Google.

I am not blaming anyone bar the phone makers. They are using it as an excuse to force users to buy a new product more often than they would otherwise need to, and in some ways stifling the market for older models whether new or used. If you go Apple or Google Pixel at least you have a good chance of getting security updates for four years after the launch of a phone. I am sure you can appreciate that many users will not always be buying the latest model, so when they do renew their contracts to save a few beer tokens they will buy last generation kit. With it being a year or more since release by the end of there two year contract and warranty many will be running very insecure devices.

My Device:

image.png.7a951367ac0d296606ddf03ecb1b57b2.png

Me:

Image result for maniacal laughter

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor