I need help!

arvid_haland

My friend is planning to upgrade his cpu in his prebuilt pc from acer. It has a gtx 1070, ryzen 5 1400 and a 500w psu. The prosessor he is buying is the ryzen 7 2700x, but i dont know if the psu is good enough. He is not planning to overclock anything in his system.

What model of PSU? If it's a good quality one: that's plenty.

Of course double check if you have the correct cable, but with a quality unit that will be the case.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The PSU is almost certainly a fire cracker. I expect the motherboard is also a garbage A320 one. Imo, don't bother. Save uo for a proper upgrade including board, CPU, PSU and case

A 500W should be plenty.

Now if you said TR2, multiple GPU's and overclocking everything then yes you'd want a bigger PSU.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

and case

:D :D 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

13 minutes ago, jooroth18 said:

Its enough. Im assuming you have 2 sticks of ram and 2 hard drives.

Capture.PNG

How can you say it is enough, when you don't know what the psu is ? 

Just now, lee32uk said:

How can you say it is enough, when you don't know what the psu is ? 

true, i am making an assumption on the +12 volt rail. can he take a picture of the label on the PSU? That would be handy for knowing what the thing can actually deliver.

25 minutes ago, arvid_haland said:

My friend is planning to upgrade his cpu in his prebuilt pc from acer. It has a gtx 1070, ryzen 5 1400 and a 500w psu. The prosessor he is buying is the ryzen 7 2700x, but i dont know if the psu is good enough. He is not planning to overclock anything in his system.

As mentioned above, you would need to check the model of the psu and motherboard. No point upgrading if the current hardware can't support it. The 2700X needs a board with a good VRM which I doubt an Acer prebuild will have. If he is just gaming then he might be better off going with a 3600 and a new board/psu if the case can accept it (Assuming not proprietary parts)

1 minute ago, jooroth18 said:

true, i am making an assumption on the +12 volt rail. can he take a picture of the label on the PSU? That would be handy for knowing what the thing can actually deliver.

The make/model would give us an idea. It could be just some generic unit though. No idea what Acer use on their systems.

37 minutes ago, arvid_haland said:

IIRC, that's a proprietary PSU with a proprietary power connector.

He can try to wedge in an ATX PSU and get an adapter like this:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YDN1OX2/

But the best "upgrade" is to sell his Acer PC on eBay and build something that can be upgraded easily.