Plex on - Zyxel NAS326?

Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
Just now, XshulderX said:

ok...

I'm also thinking about creating a powerful server to run 24/7 and then use it as my main system for everything, even my laptops so when I log into them, they will connect to my server, and run all data-crunching from that... In that way, I never again have to upgrade laptops due to hardware limitations... If anything is to slow, I just gonna upgrade my server, and then everything will run faster... 

Mayby something like a rayzen 3 or a threatripper paired with a GTX 1080 and 32 GB of RAM connected to my 500/500 mbits connection. 

It all comes down to resolution of the content, how many streams and if you have to transcode. I miss spoke earlier, the fire stick can do MPEG2 but the two Roku sticks on my network can’t. Which means when those devices watch live TV the server has to transcode. I’d imagine that even a lower end threadripper would not have any issues. As I use an i5 3570k for this purpose. 

I'm running out of HDD space for my RAW files, so I want to upgrade how I store my files.
My plan is to buy a NAS server with 2 X 4 TB Seagate IronWolf  for stoages running in raid 1, so I have easier can share my files with friends/family and clients and also using it as a PLEX server, so I can make myself a media center. 

Does anyone know if the entry level Zyxel NAS326 will be able to handle this?
I know it don't have the power for live transcoding, but then I just have to make sure that movies and TV shows is convertet/importet in the right format to begin with,

13 hours ago, XshulderX said:

I'm running out of HDD space for my RAW files, so I want to upgrade how I store my files.
My plan is to buy a NAS server with 2 X 4 TB Seagate IronWolf  for stoages running in raid 1, so I have easier can share my files with friends/family and clients and also using it as a PLEX server, so I can make myself a media center. 

Does anyone know if the entry level Zyxel NAS326 will be able to handle this?
I know it don't have the power for live transcoding, but then I just have to make sure that movies and TV shows is convertet/importet in the right format to begin with,

On a side not you could store your media on the NAS and build a SFF machine for transcoding. I basically took my old gaming machine and turned it in to a transcode box. Then I store all my movies and shows on the NAS. In my case my fire stick does not support MPEG2 and that’s what OTA TV is broadcasted in. I have an HD Homerun for live TV. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 9:50 PM, Donut417 said:

On a side not you could store your media on the NAS and build a SFF machine for transcoding. I basically took my old gaming machine and turned it in to a transcode box. Then I store all my movies and shows on the NAS. In my case my fire stick does not support MPEG2 and that’s what OTA TV is broadcasted in. I have an HD Homerun for live TV. 

What would be the purpose of having 2 machines instead on one, thats more powerfull?

5 minutes ago, XshulderX said:

What would be the purpose of having 2 machines instead on one, thats more powerfull?

Because I wanted a drop in solution for storage. Free Nas was too much for my needs. Prebuilt Nas’s have too low end hardware for transcoding. So I use the server hardware to transcode. I use the NAS for my media and other storage. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Because I wanted a drop in solution for storage. Free Nas was too much for my needs. Prebuilt Nas’s have too low end hardware for transcoding. So I use the server hardware to transcode. I use the NAS for my media and other storage. 

ok...

I'm also thinking about creating a powerful server to run 24/7 and then use it as my main system for everything, even my laptops so when I log into them, they will connect to my server, and run all data-crunching from that... In that way, I never again have to upgrade laptops due to hardware limitations... If anything is to slow, I just gonna upgrade my server, and then everything will run faster... 

Mayby something like a rayzen 3 or a threatripper paired with a GTX 1080 and 32 GB of RAM connected to my 500/500 mbits connection. 

Just now, XshulderX said:

ok...

It all comes down to resolution of the content, how many streams and if you have to transcode. I miss spoke earlier, the fire stick can do MPEG2 but the two Roku sticks on my network can’t. Which means when those devices watch live TV the server has to transcode. I’d imagine that even a lower end threadripper would not have any issues. As I use an i5 3570k for this purpose. 

I only gonna have one system running at the time, so one stream from the internet connection.... I know my internet connection is extremly overkill, but in DK internet is so cheap that is cost me like 5 USD/month to have a 500/500 instead of 100/100 fiber.