First build since Q6600 (parts have been bought)

Hemanse

So yesterday all the parts arrived for my pretty much entire new build. Existing of:

Ryzen 7 3700X

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Ballstix Elite 3600MHz cl16

Palit RTX 2070S Jetstream

Corsair Force MP510 480GB m.2

NH2 thermal paste

Fractal Design Define R6 in gunmetal

I know a few essential parts are missing, but I hope the NH-D14 with the AM4 kit and my XFX 850w ProSeries Black Edition PSU is still good enough for the new build. Also have 3 Sata SSDs that I'm going to transfer to the new build.

I have not build my own PC since the Q6600, my current PC is a 4670k with a GTX 970, but that was gifted to me. So I'm a little bit scared about building, but I'm hoping with some build guides it should go pretty alright. Just have a few questions.

1. Will the PSU mentioned earlier be good enough for the new build? My PSU is from 2013, but runs great and I clean my PC very regularly, so everything pretty much looks as good as new.

2. I'm guessing there is not a massive difference between my NH-D14 and the new D15? So I should be able to cool the 3700x just fine with the NH-D14 + AM4 kit? Or should I invest in a NH-D15?

3. Anything I should take a note of before build? I guess setting everything up outside the case to make sure it works is still good practice, but anything else? :)

Thanks in advance.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

As far as I know, nothing has changed significantly in the building space since then, at least in terms of new things to watch out for or problems.  If anything it's a lot easier.  Everything is simpler, cases are better designed, there's more tutorial videos on youtube, etc.

Make sure you recognize all the new connectors like USB 3, manage and route your cables well, and you should be fine.

As for the cooler, yeah I think the changes were minimal and as for performance, it's definitely more than enough.  These are very efficient chips and that is a beast of a cooler.  It would even handle a 9900k lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Hemanse said:

Will the PSU mentioned earlier be good enough

should be ok , its wattage should make up for the age

5 minutes ago, Hemanse said:

Anything I should take a note of before build?

Only big difference between a q6600 era build will be the OS setup and uefi. Basically these days you load it on with a usb stick and uefi makes it so getting into the firmware is a hassle

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

As far as I know, nothing has changed significantly in the building space since then, at least in terms of new things to watch out for or problems.  If anything it's a lot easier.  Everything is simpler, cases are better designed, there's more tutorial videos on youtube, etc.

Make sure you recognize all the new connectors like USB 3, manage and route your cables well, and you should be fine.

As for the cooler, yeah I think the changes were minimal and as for performance, it's definitely more than enough.  These are very efficient chips and that is a beast of a cooler.  It would even handle a 9900k lol

Yeah gonna watch and follow a few guides, but I do have the general idea still :) I will try the NH-D14, o mean it could basically cool my OCd 4670k passively, so I'm guessing it should handle the 3700x. Bought a NF- A12x25 fan that I might put on the NH-D14 and just run it single fan.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

should be ok , its wattage should make up for the age

Only big difference between a q6600 era build will be the OS setup and uefi. Basically these days you load it on with a usb stick and uefi makes it so getting into the firmware is a hassle

Cool, im more worried about putting the hardware together. OS is not so bad anymore, it just takes time :) Installing all the drivers, software etc again.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2