Upgrading a 7 year old gaming computer

I'm planning on upgrading my old rig into something that'll be future proof for the years to come. I bought the parts and built the computer in 2012, and I replaced the graphics ca. 2016. I want my rig to be able to run most games on ultra settings with a minimum of 60 fps on a 1080p 144hz monitor, and I also want to produce music on it. Here's the old specs:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (with window)

Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER

CPU: I5-3570K

CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series H60 V2

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X (upgraded from a EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked+ in ca. 2016)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb 1600MHz DDR3

PSU: Corsair HX850

HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 1TB

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 120gb

MONITOR: BenQ XL2411T 24" 144hz

I was thinking that I only need to replace the cpu, motherboard, ram and ssd. However, I'm not sure whether there will be enough space in the case and whether it's smart to keep using the old psu. I'm also a little out of touch when it comes to what is good nowadays. Here's a list of the parts I've picked to replace the old ones:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, Socket-AM4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (using the cooler that comes with the cpu)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 32gb

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, PCIe Gen 3.0, M.2 (there's a sale on this one right now)

My budget is around 10k in NOK (Norwegian Kroner), and it seems that Komplett.no and Dustin.no have the best prices in Norway right now. Some friends have told me to wait and see if things get discounted, so I might wait until the end of August until I buy the parts (the sale on the SSD ends on the September 1.). What do you guys think?

15 minutes ago, Sebbebanastian said:

I'm planning on upgrading my old rig into something that'll be future proof for the years to come. I bought the parts and built the computer in 2012, and I replaced the graphics ca. 2016. I want my rig to be able to run most games on ultra settings with a minimum of 60 fps on a 1080p 144hz monitor, and I also want to produce music on it. Here's the old specs:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (with window)

Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER

CPU: I5-3570K

CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series H60 V2

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X (upgraded from a EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked+ in ca. 2016)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb 1600MHz DDR3

PSU: Corsair HX850

HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 1TB

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 120gb

MONITOR: BenQ XL2411T 24" 144hz

I was thinking that I only need to replace the cpu, motherboard, ram and ssd. However, I'm not sure whether there will be enough space in the case and whether it's smart to keep using the old psu. I'm also a little out of touch when it comes to what is good nowadays. Here's a list of the parts I've picked to replace the old ones:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, Socket-AM4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (using the cooler that comes with the cpu)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 32gb

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, PCIe Gen 3.0, M.2 (there's a sale on this one right now)

My budget is around 10k in NOK (Norwegian Kroner), and it seems that Komplett.no and Dustin.no have the best prices in Norway right now. Some friends have told me to wait and see if things get discounted, so I might wait until the end of August until I buy the parts (the sale on the SSD ends on the September 1.). What do you guys think?

r9 3950x october if you don't mind

6 minutes ago, m777y said:

r9 3950x october if you don't mind

I think that one is going to be a bit too expensive. Is it really necessary?

2 minutes ago, Sebbebanastian said:

I think that one is going to be a bit too expensive. Is it really necessary?

for annualy(10 years) upgrade plan, its pretty good. if just under ten, 3700x still good.

Do you really need that 32gb and X570? If you don't get a 16gb and X370/B450/X470 with a decent enough cooler like Dark Rock Pro 4, Thermalright le grand etc. 

39 minutes ago, m777y said:

for annualy(10 years) upgrade plan, its pretty good. if just under ten, 3700x still good.

a 700 dollars 3950x compared with a 350 dollars 3700x paired with a gtx 1070? Why

24 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Do you really need that 32gb and X570? If you don't get a 16gb and X370/B450/X470 with a decent enough cooler like Dark Rock Pro 4, Thermalright le grand etc. 

I'm not sure. I was going with 16gb first, but my friend said that I should go for 32gb for the future. Might be smart since I'm going to use a lot of plugins to produce music, but I'm not sure. Do you have any other suggestions when it comes to the motherboard? I need support for the Ryzen processor, PCIe M.2 ssd, fast ethernet, enough USB-ports (at least 7 ports), DDR4 memory and the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming x.

5 minutes ago, Sebbebanastian said:

I'm not sure. I was going with 16gb first, but my friend said that I should go for 32gb for the future. Might be smart since I'm going to use a lot of plugins to produce music, but I'm not sure. Do you have any other suggestions when it comes to the motherboard? I need support for the Ryzen processor, PCIe M.2 ssd, fast ethernet, enough USB-ports (at least 7 ports), DDR4 memory and the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming x.

X470 Taichi ultimate have a 10gb lan, it's their flagship so if it doesn't have 7 ports it's their fault. Well check your use of ram now and see if that 16gb is not enough if its not get 32gb. I mean you can get a pcie card that have 10gb lan and it will work just the same as X470 Taichi ultimate.

I just remembered there is X370 C6H that have the same price as B450 Gaming pro carbon AC depending where you at. 

Edited by Oalei

14 minutes ago, Oalei said:

X470 Taichi ultimate have a 10gb lan, it's their flagship so if it doesn't have 7 ports it's their fault. Well check your use of ram now and see if that 16gb is not enough if its not get 32gb. I mean you can get a pcie card that have 10gb lan and it will work just the same as X470 Taichi ultimate.

I just remembered there is X370 C6H that have the same price as B450 Gaming pro carbon AC depending where you at. 

The X470 seems to be a bit iffy to get hold of in Norway, at least for a reasonable prize. The one I listed costs the same in Norway. Can't really seem to find the X370 C6H either.

If I replace the 2x16 chips with 2x8 chips instead, I'll have enough money to buy a Corsair RM850x. Considering the fact that the PSU is 7 years old, I think this might be a better idea.

7 minutes ago, Sebbebanastian said:

The X470 seems to be a bit iffy to get hold of in Norway, at least for a reasonable prize. The one I listed costs the same in Norway. Can't really seem to find the X370 C6H either.

Yeah get Gaming pro carbon AC I think it have 7 ports? it's crosshair 6 hero. 

Just now, Sebbebanastian said:

If I replace the 2x16 chips with 2x8 chips instead, I'll have enough money to buy a Corsair RM850x. Considering the fact that the PSU is 7 years old, I think this might be a better idea.

Why do you want a 850W PSU? Get a 650W or less it's not going to exceed that except you go for a dual gpu setup. 

1 hour ago, Oalei said:

Yeah get Gaming pro carbon AC I think it have 7 ports? it's crosshair 6 hero. 

I can't find the Gaming Pro Carbon AC with AM4 socket, and the Crosshair 6 Hero is more expensive than the one I listed. I really think that the motherboard I listed is the one I need considering what is available in Norwegian stores.

1 hour ago, Oalei said:

Why do you want a 850W PSU? Get a 650W or less it's not going to exceed that except you go for a dual gpu setup. 

I want to be absolutely sure that I'll have enough power for the future. I might upgrade to a dual gpu setup in the future if that's necessary. I think I'll need at least 650W, however I do agree that 850W might be a bit overkill.

3 hours ago, Sebbebanastian said:

I can't find the Gaming Pro Carbon AC with AM4 socket, and the Crosshair 6 Hero is more expensive than the one I listed. I really think that the motherboard I listed is the one I need considering what is available in Norwegian stores.

I want to be absolutely sure that I'll have enough power for the future. I might upgrade to a dual gpu setup in the future if that's necessary. I think I'll need at least 650W, however I do agree that 850W might be a bit overkill.

Grab a 3700x

2*8 gb 3200mhz/3600mhz kit of ram,you can always upgrade to 32GB later on

Rm550x will be sufficient

mothwrbord you chose is fine, if pricing is similar to older boards in Norway go with the newer one

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 hours ago, Sebbebanastian said:

that mobo is perfectly fine if you cant find anything that can justify it.

even a 650W can do SLI/CF but it depends on the GPU of course.

5 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Grab a 3700x

2*8 gb 3200mhz/3600mhz kit of ram,you can always upgrade to 32GB later on

Rm550x will be sufficient

mothwrbord you chose is fine, if pricing is similar to older boards in Norway go with the newer one

Sounds good!

The only thing that remains to be decided is which motherboard I want. I'm a little torn between the Gigabyte Aorus Elite and the Asus Prime X570 Pro. They are both at the same price right now because the Asus mobo has a discount.