How to overclock Ryzen 5 3600

Pleo
On 3/28/2020 at 12:05 AM, papareeves said:

pbo doesn't do much. amd cool and quite u can just leave on depending on your cpu i have the 3600 not the x i found a stable over clock on all cores at 4200 mhz at 1.35v you really wont see much deference how ever with that ram your not even utilizing the full potential at stock speed amd 3rd gen really lives on ram try boosted your ram to 3600 if you can do that stable and go in and individually tighten the timings on your ram while making sure you save after each one and boot yes i know thats tedious but at least if you cant boot youll know which one it is. i don't recommend going past 4.3 alot of people got the new 3rd gen and they think it over clocks like intel, IT DOESN"T i cant stress that enough with having at least two die that means that some cores are just gonna run faster i would try installing ryzen master and seeing which cores are the fastest and possibly over clock those cores higher if your bios allows not sure about the tommahawk. i promise you the 3600 can run any game on max or ultra setting especially with the 2070 i stream and play AAA games with no problems that being said don't use the stock cooler i have 240 aio front mounted because intake is always better then exhaust and you wont see a deference in temps on your gpu. just remember auto over clocking is never going to be the best yes it a quick solution but its gonna run on the highest voltage allowed and will fluctuate ur speed up and down how it sees fit a manual oc is the best for running stable at all time with the same voltage no matter what. My spec CPU: ryzen 5 3600 OC 4.2 @1.35v GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 KO ultra RAM: VENGEANCE 2x8 16GB 3600 with tighter timming MB: MSi x570 Gaming plus AIO: COOLER MASTER: ML240R PSU: CORSAIR rm650x CASE: COOLER MASTER h500 STORAGE: SAMSUNG EVO plus 970 M.2  NVMe 1tb SEAGATE barracuda 7200rpm 2tb  

Hey! thanks for all that information.. I tried with DRAM calculator but man none of the options did work....computer just wouldn't post even in safe mode dram calculator. I had my ryzen 5 3600 at 4.2 ghz and 1.325 and I thought I was fine until I saw stuttering on LOL.. So I tested it with prime 95 and I encountered 6 errors after 4 min running the large test .... So  I turned it down to 4.1 and I got only 2 error but still ..... Now I just don't know what to do...

On 8/20/2019 at 5:46 AM, Rofty said:

Question, why do you want to overclock? There is no real improvement in overclocking vs stock except cpu using more power.. What new ryzen likes is low latency, fast ram.

yes I just proved that by getting a cl16 3600 mhz.. performance got a lot better imo. I even made it run at 4.0 all cores stable...at 1.263v

On 8/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, Rofty said:

Question, why do you want to overclock? There is no real improvement in overclocking vs stock except cpu using more power.. What new ryzen likes is low latency, fast ram.

because they heard overclocking is cool and stuffs and totally brings the better frames and stuff... 

of course they didn't hear that overclocking a 3600 barely makes sense as it "overclocks" by itself nicely already... 

On 8/20/2019 at 11:20 AM, Stormseeker9 said:

this one relates to a 3900x but principle

is the same.

Nope, not the same. different cpu with different characteristics. 

On 8/20/2019 at 3:36 PM, Pleo said:

Because the game stutters. Even with high fps. Like when explosions n shit happen, crowded area's, i maintain high fps but zooming in etc, just stutters. Its not a smooth experience.

Sound like your monitor frame times etc rather than cpu... 

Also holy thread resurrection batman! 

Still always interesting how not user friendly these cpus are, *unless* you leave them alone, I mean apparently my none overclocked, none pbo'd cpu clocks higher than with those things... (4.2ghz, like they say on the box and what I paid for) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity