Dual DDR4 Quad Channel Memory Kits

Go to solution Solved by SkyHound0202,

Intel stated that quad-channel mode is enabled when "four (or a multiple of four) DIMMs are identical in capacity and speed, and are put in quad-channel slots".

In this case, if you want to have 16+32 GB quad channel memory, you need to install the 4x4 kit in slot A1/B1/C1/D1 and the 4x8 kit in slot A2/B2/C2/D2 (vice versa). The different slots are usually color-coded separately so it's easy to distinguish.

Keep in mind that memory compatibility differs from board to board, module to module, your mileage may vary. They should be able to operate at an overlapping rated speed by default.

Hello Everyone.

Hoping you can answer a question for me, not having much luck online.

I currently run 16gb ddr4 3000 in 4x4 quad channel. I'm upgrading to 32gb ddr4 3000 in 4x8 quad channel. 

Can I continue to use both kits at the same time, giving me 48gb of addressable ram? The speed and timings are the same for both kits, I'm just unsure if the difference in capacity will cause an issue.

Thank you in advance.

CPU: 5820k (OC to 4.5ghz)

well, normally it shouldn't

maybe the board won't run in normal channel configuration, but i'm not good with that, so i'll leave that to someone else

Intel stated that quad-channel mode is enabled when "four (or a multiple of four) DIMMs are identical in capacity and speed, and are put in quad-channel slots".

In this case, if you want to have 16+32 GB quad channel memory, you need to install the 4x4 kit in slot A1/B1/C1/D1 and the 4x8 kit in slot A2/B2/C2/D2 (vice versa). The different slots are usually color-coded separately so it's easy to distinguish.

Keep in mind that memory compatibility differs from board to board, module to module, your mileage may vary. They should be able to operate at an overlapping rated speed by default.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

On 8/19/2019 at 6:44 PM, SkyHound0202 said:

Thanks. I installed both kits, and everything working properly.