Seagate vs WD

CringeFire
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

I would recommend WD, my seagate drives started getting relocated sectors sooner than my old WD ones.

WD is usually more expensive though.

What brands should I go for enterprise hard drives in terms of speed reliability and longevity. Seagate or WD enterprise based hard drives? 

I only need 4/3 TB x2

Neither is definitely or reliably better than the other. 

Go for whichever is cheapest or most convenient for you at the time (obviously, comparing similar drives. No point comparing a WD Blue to a SkyHawk drive or something)

As for NAS drives, the Seagate Ironwolf is faster than the WD Red because it spins at (AFAIK) 7200rpm vs 5400rpm.

That makes it also consume more power, be louder and have more vibration though. 

I went for WD and never looked back however it really doesn't matter that much. 

Edit: I also heard a lot of great things about Toshiba! 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

14 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

As for NAS drives, the Seagate Ironwolf is faster than the WD Red because it spins at (AFAIK) 7200rpm vs 5400rpm.

That makes it also consume more power, be louder and have more vibration though. 

I went for WD and never looked back however it really doesn't matter that much. 

Edit: I also heard a lot of great things about Toshiba! 

there are red pro that spin at 7200rpm, btw I find WD more reliable than seagates.

I would recommend WD, my seagate drives started getting relocated sectors sooner than my old WD ones.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Cost is not a problem for me.

31 minutes ago, CringeFire said:

Cost is not a problem for me.

Oh well, in that case, hold my beer... You're gonna need at least 10 of these, because Hitachi Ultrastar drives are ❤️ and once you get your first few TB, you'll want to get some more, and then even more, because /r/DataHoarder becomes the bane of your existence.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-14TB-Ultrastar-HC530/dp/B07KPL474H/

71FkdSxz69L._SL1500_.jpg

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I've had great experience with both, we have a mix of WD Greens and Seagate manufactured HP drives in a parity storage space, I've had a RAID1 of 2 Seagate desktops for a long time, my dad has a Seagate and a WD.

Get whatever type of drive that suits your needs from whoever has better pricing in your region. 

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

The IronWolf and IronWolf  Pro is a known good drive for its balance on price and similar enterprise-grade-high-level performance.

If you would like to further explore the corporate options below I'll leave the link, usually people who review this data will also look for cost per gigabyte because they plan to buy more than one unit at a time, however if you buy an enterprise-level I assure you that you are going to take one of the best there is in the market:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

12 hours ago, kirashi said:

Oh well, in that case, hold my beer... You're gonna need at least 10 of these, because Hitachi Ultrastar drives are ❤️ and once you get your first few TB, you'll want to get some more, and then even more, because /r/DataHoarder becomes the bane of your existence.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-14TB-Ultrastar-HC530/dp/B07KPL474H/

I've got a 14TB IronWolf, how is this Ultrastar thing better? Does it stay quiet? The 14TB IronWolf is loud as fuck when it's accessing data. I kind of got it under control with heavy lifting decoupling, but still. The 10TB IronWolf is much better in that regard.

Soon I've got to add more drives to my system and I'm still hoping for larger drives, like at least 32TB. The small increase in drive capacity in the last decade has been soul crushing. I remember going from measuring drive capacity in kb, to Mb, to GB, to TB and goddamn, I want to go to PB and EB in my lifetime, too! There's so much data to be hoarded.

6 hours ago, Bramimond said:

I've got a 14TB IronWolf, how is this Ultrastar thing better? Does it stay quiet? The 14TB IronWolf is loud as fuck when it's accessing data. I kind of got it under control with heavy lifting decoupling, but still. The 10TB IronWolf is much better in that regard.

Soon I've got to add more drives to my system and I'm still hoping for larger drives, like at least 32TB. The small increase in drive capacity in the last decade has been soul crushing. I remember going from measuring drive capacity in kb, to Mb, to GB, to TB and goddamn, I want to go to PB and EB in my lifetime, too! There's so much data to be hoarded.

Honestly, I have been out of the HDD market for so long I couldn't tell you whether WD or Seagate makes better drives these days. This is just a holdover from before Hitachi got bought out by WD.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)