Budget Laptops

Go to solution Solved by 5x5,

Look at a used or refurbished business laptop. Companies usually send very good premium machines for cheap when they upgrade their employees computers. Look at LENOVO ThinkPad, Dell Latitudes or HP EliteBooks. You should be able to find a decent ThinkPad T440s and still have enough left over for an SSD. 

So, I am a student about to enter my first year in computer science!

I'm kind of on a budget with my laptop choices, after putting upgrades into my PC.

Not at all experienced with laptops and the number of options in every price point, confuses the $H!T out of me.

I own a gaming PC, I just want something portable that I can take around with me and get my work done without problems.

$350-400 is where I'm at, Help me outtt please!

Thanks in advance!

Look at a used or refurbished business laptop. Companies usually send very good premium machines for cheap when they upgrade their employees computers. Look at LENOVO ThinkPad, Dell Latitudes or HP EliteBooks. You should be able to find a decent ThinkPad T440s and still have enough left over for an SSD. 

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Should I really go used? I am quite reluctant. 

Is it okay to go that route with laptops, because I don't want to have to run around for repairs and fixes for OS issues and Drive or Display failure.

11 minutes ago, zak1016 said:

So, I am a student about to enter my first year in computer science!

I'm kind of on a budget with my laptop choices, after putting upgrades into my PC.

Not at all experienced with laptops and the number of options in every price point, confuses the $H!T out of me.

I own a gaming PC, I just want something portable that I can take around with me and get my work done without problems.

$350-400 is where I'm at, Help me outtt please!

Thanks in advance!

For that price new you get some pretty crappy machines not even worth looking at. Used is the way to go. As stated above there is plenty of selection of bussiness grade stuff (aka laptops that kinda just don't die ever). If you need suggestions do say where you are located so I can go take a look for the options. Also any preferences would be nice since these used machines come in all types of specs and sizes.

1 minute ago, zak1016 said:

Should I really go used? I am quite reluctant. 

Is it okay to go that route with laptops, because I don't want to have to run around for repairs and fixes for OS issues and Drive or Display failure.

That's why I suggested a business laptop - they are FAR more durable and reliable. Get one from a reputable seller or refurbished store, add an SSD (it's super easy) and install a clean OS - you're golden.

Just now, 5x5 said:

That's why I suggested a business laptop - they are FAR more durable and reliable. Get one from a reputable seller or refurbished store, add an SSD (it's super easy) and install a clean OS - you're golden.

Thanks a lot! I'll see what I can get.

Just now, zak1016 said:

Thanks a lot! I'll see what I can get.

Ebay is pretty much the goto place.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

For that price new you get some pretty crappy machines not even worth looking at. Used is the way to go. As stated above there is plenty of selection of bussiness grade stuff (aka laptops that kinda just don't die ever). If you need suggestions do say where you are located so I can go take a look for the options. Also any preferences would be nice since these used machines come in all types of specs and sizes.

Yeah, that's seeming to be the best option right now.

I live in the UAE, Dubai (United Arab Emirates). Thanks very much for helping out!

Alright, so what I'm gathering from this is that I have to go used and get a business grade laptop from a reputable seller or refurbished if I can find.

3 minutes ago, zak1016 said:

Alright, so what I'm gathering from this is that I have to go used and get a business grade laptop from a reputable seller or refurbished if I can find.

Look for a T440s or T450s if possible.

13 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Business laptops last forever mate

Im posting this from a Thinkpad Z61t from 2006, the only thing I changed in it is the HDD to an SSD.

I would unironically suggest going to 4chans technology board and specifically the Thinkpad general thread for any questions you might have buying one, they'll know way more about this than anyone:

http://boards.4channel.org/g/thread/72375915

Thanks for the reassurance, man! That's just the way imma go from here. 

incease your budget a little more and go for Asus vivobook F10UA its better than any other laptop in $500 range believe me :) 

10 hours ago, Mike21 said:

Asus vivobook F10UA 

Mediocre model

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128