Connecting RGB LED strip to Motherboard

I had a wraith prism cooler lying around. I decided to reuse the led strip inside the cooler to stick inside my case somewhere. When I disassembled the whole thing, I found that the controller for the RGB had 2 pins (positive and negative) which was going to the PWM connector of the FAN. I assumed that its purpose was to check whether the fan was connected or not. So I disconnected those from the fan and connected the positive cable to the 12V pin of the ARGB cable and the negative to the blue pin of the ARGB cable to hopefully fool the controller. In addition, I disconnected the RGB cable going to the fan (prism's fan is also RGB).

After all this, I connected the ARGB to the motherboard to find that the led strip lights up in red, only in red. Also, the controller makes a loud whining sound.

Am I missing something?

Alternatively, is there a separate controller I can buy to connect the led strip (VCC, DIN, GND) to ARGB in the motherboard?

PS: My knowledge in electronics is limited. High school level.

first would have bean way cheaper to just buy a argb strip. as you could have just sold the cooler and got a strip. probly going to need pic's of the strip frist. argb is normally 5v.

so you probably cooked it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links