Elementary or Debian with a pantheon shell (elementary skin)

just a random question, I wanted to get into linux for a while but I have yet to install one because there are too many distros. I really would like to try debian but there is a learning curve to it where as Elementary is really simple. I'd rather go debian personally because of the fact that they are extremely stable with a big community that has backing, so which one would you pick, and also if you do pick another distro? what would be your reasoning?

thanks guys

- _ASSASSIN_

One part of me wants to say Elementary all the way but there are some cons to it... unless you would wait for the new version which should be out in 2-4 months. I'm basing this of the switch i did from Windows to Linux for a month (you can find the link in the signature). So I would think that Debian would be the better option since it's more mature than Elementary but then again Pantheon is quite new and I have no idea how it works on a different OS than Elementary. Don't get me wrong Elementary is really good but there are a few bits and bobs that are to be worked upon; as I mention in the review/switch.

If you do go with Elementary though I have done quite a lot of step by step things for it in the iSwitched that you could potentially follow and would possibly make things even easier for you :P

One part of me wants to say Elementary all the way but there are some cons to it... unless you would wait for the new version which should be out in 2-4 months. I'm basing this of the switch i did from Windows to Linux for a month (you can find the link in the signature). So I would think that Debian would be the better option since it's more mature than Elementary but then again Pantheon is quite new and I have no idea how it works on a different OS than Elementary. Don't get me wrong Elementary is really good but there are a few bits and bobs that are to be worked upon; as I mention in the review/switch.

If you do go with Elementary though I have done quite a lot of step by step things for it that you could potentially follow and would possibly make things even easier for you :P

well there are other shells I can get like gnome but I would like pantheon because I prefer the look of it, plus the animations are really smooth, what was the main issue for you?

Just pick a distro and go for it. Personally I DO NOT like anything Debian but ehh (Redhat, Centos, Fedora guy) 

Just pick a distro and go for it. Personally I DO NOT like anything Debian but ehh (Redhat, Centos, Fedora guy) 

well I don't want to make a jump from win 8.1 to something insane like archlinux or anything :P

well there are other shells I can get like gnome but I would like pantheon because I prefer the look of it, plus the animations are really smooth, what was the main issue for you?

I'd say mostly the gaming aspect since I haven't gamed for a month during that month since quite frankly Wine isn't that great with recent games. Also I'd say that I have missed a few programs such as Paint.NET which I have gotten used to too much but obviously with a learning curve I would possibly adapt to an alternative such as GIMP. Some animations were a little glittery but nothing too major that it would become a large distraction. Also me mentioning waiting for the next release was because most of the core applications for one reason or another seemed slightly short on a variety of features, nothing dramatic but there were things that could have been added to the main core arsenal of features but weren't hence why I would assume a lot of my cons would be addressed in the next release since it would be much more worked on as the OS matures and I have already seen some pictures and articles of the upcoming features. Even though I have only ever tried Ubuntu, Mint and Elementary I have to say that Elementary was the most comfortable I guess you could say to adapt to and use with extreme ease mainly because of the Pantheon shell and not so much of the things such as the Terminal commands which I'm not necessarily found of however I see why they are used in Linux :P

I'd say mostly the gaming aspect since I haven't gamed for a month during that month since quite frankly Wine isn't that great with recent games. Also I'd say that I have missed a few programs such as Paint.NET which I have gotten used to too much but obviously with a learning curve I would possibly adapt to an alternative such as GIMP. Some animations were a little glittery but nothing too major that it would become a large distraction. Also me mentioning waiting for the next release was because most of the core applications for one reason or another seemed slightly short on a variety of features, nothing dramatic but there were things that could have been added to the main core arsenal of features but weren't hence why I would assume a lot of my cons would be addressed in the next release since it would be much more worked on as the OS matures and I have already seen some pictures and articles of the upcoming features. Even though I have only ever tried Ubuntu, Mint and Elementary I have to say that Elementary was the most comfortable I guess you could say to adapt to and use with extreme ease mainly because of the Pantheon shell and not so much of the things such as the Terminal commands which I'm not necessarily found of however I see why they are used in Linux :P

lol I'm not using it for gaming and I already use gimp.

haha Arch is awesome just saying... but Its a real pain to get set up. I mean in your case you might just want to start with Ubuntu with unity installed. It's really easy to work with and is almost compatible with everything and does not look like a piece of crap. Another one I like is Mint OS because it also looks really nice and is pretty strait forward to use. The question you need to be asking is what are you going to use this for? Because different distros work well for different purposes.

lol I'm not using it for gaming and I already use gimp.

Well then you are ready to go :) I'd suggest to try and running it in a VM to see if you can install all of the essential software to get you going and find the best once first then once you decided you like the OS and the arsenal of software available for it, install it onto your system so that you save yourself the stress if something won't work or a certain step messes up your OS.

haha Arch is awesome just saying... but Its a real pain to get set up. I mean in your case you might just want to start with Ubuntu with unity installed. It's really easy to work with and is almost compatible with everything and does not look like a piece of crap. Another one I like is Mint OS because it also looks really nice and is pretty strait forward to use. The question you need to be asking is what are you going to use this for? Because different distros work well for different purposes.

just using it for learning linux, and for everything BUT heavy gaming, maybe metro: LL because why not it's on linux

I'm assuming that you want to learn bash and shell and if that the case just install Ubuntu and a VM (assuming that your machine can handle it) and practice on that. I have a Windows machine with two monitors one screen with Windows 8 and the other with Fedora KDE and does pretty much everything that I would ever use it  for ( server management)

This belongs in the Operating Systems and Software section. I'm moving the thread.

Please post in the correct sub-forum in the future.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Well then you are ready to go :) I'd suggest to try and running it in a VM to see if you can install all of the essential software to get you going and find the best once first then once you decided you like the OS and the arsenal of software available for it, install it onto your system so that you save yourself the stress if something won't work or a certain step messes up your OS.

ok, thanks guys :D

ok, thanks guys :D

No problem. Teamspeak faigt

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |