Help on build

Dr Darthell

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and also kinda new to PC world. I wanted to build my own PC for a while (my intention was to build a pc mainly for photo editing and some light gaming) and the other day I found a good deal on a very little used rig for £350 

The PC in question is:

Case: pcs 6003b

Cpu: intel core i7-8700

Cpu fan: cooler master hyper 212x

Motherboard: Asus prime Z370-p

Ram: Corsair vengeance ddr4 4gb (2133mhz) x2

HDD: Seagate barracuda 2tb 7200rpm

Gpu: Geforce gtx 1050 

P.S.:corsair vs350

I was planning to mount an ssd m.2, probably upgrade the power supply to a 550w, upgrade the ram and the gpu..

My question is, is it worth it to upgrade all those parts and/or on what shall i focus mostly? 

Counting that i have to purchase a monitor as well my budget can't exceed £300

Thanks in advance

just the cpu motherboard alone is probably worth it that seems like a pretty insane deal in fact id be a bit suspicious lol especially with that psu i dont think 350w is enough for that system

If you can go in person to see this PC and verify it works, and has the right hardware with CPU-Z, then it's the deal of the century. Otherwise this is a definite scam 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I found the PC in a pawn shop, tried before purchasing and everything looks working fine.. 

I still have 2 months of warranty with the shop if something doesn't work

5 hours ago, Dr Darthell said:

I found the PC in a pawn shop, tried before purchasing and everything looks working fine.. 

check everything using CPU-Z and if its works then movin with upgrade

yeah the PSU isnt find. try to get at least 550W or 450W is fine but 0-ish be better. since you are playing light gaming dont bother Upgrading GPu just upgrade ram to 16GB. i always recommend 16GB for any kind of editing even if its light.

so RAM.SSD and PSU.

you can get team-Vulcan 16Gb for around 40-60$ and Corsair CX 2017 Grey 550W 80+ Bronze sounds good

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

11 hours ago, Wolfycapt said:

check everything using CPU-Z and if its works then movin with upgrade

yeah the PSU isnt find. try to get at least 550W or 450W is fine but 0-ish be better. since you are playing light gaming dont bother Upgrading GPu just upgrade ram to 16GB. i always recommend 16GB for any kind of editing even if its light.

so RAM.SSD and PSU.

you can get team-Vulcan 16Gb for around 40-60$ and Corsair CX 2017 Grey 550W 80+ Bronze sounds good

Thanks for your comment!

I have run the program and everything looks all right and working

I run a test on a website to see whether the psu is enough for the system and it looks like it works just about..

I will buy a new psu and m.2 ssd (240gb seems enough)

For the ram do you suggest to buy two new 8gb and try to sell the 4gb ones or just put all in to reach 24gb?

17 hours ago, Dr Darthell said:

in that case you should totally buy it and upgrade the PSU

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The rig has been tested for almost 20 days now and I've changed the PSU to a corsair 550w and added a m.2 ssd and now is buttery smooth! 

My question is now regarding the ram

I would like to.upgrade to 16gb and i still have installed the corsair vengeance ddr4 4gb (2133mhz) x2.. 

Is it better to just buy two new 8gb sticks and sell those two or buy some to add to the rig?

Thanks in advance

26 minutes ago, Dr Darthell said:

UPDATE:

The rig has been tested for almost 20 days now and I've changed the PSU to a corsair 550w and added a m.2 ssd and now is buttery smooth! 

My question is now regarding the ram

I would like to.upgrade to 16gb and i still have installed the corsair vengeance ddr4 4gb (2133mhz) x2.. 

Is it better to just buy two new 8gb sticks and sell those two or buy some to add to the rig?

Thanks in advance

Removing the current kit and opting for something like a 3000MHz or 3200MHz kit would be ideal for your rig.

What specific PSU did you go with?

Primary PC:

43 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Corsair vs550 

50 minutes ago, Dr Darthell said:

Corsair vs550 

Wasn't really an upgrade then. If you're still in the return window, see if you can send it back and get a CX

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Removing the current kit and opting for something like a 3000MHz or 3200MHz kit would be ideal for your rig.

It's Intel after all, 3200mhz won't give much performance increase.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Wasn't really an upgrade then. If you're still in the return window, see if you can send it back and get a CX

I went from 350w to 550w i tought it was enough 

1 hour ago, VEXICUS said:

It's Intel after all, 3200mhz won't give much performance increase.

I read that online a lot, my big question was shall i get maybe two new stick of 8 gb 2400hz + or buy another two 4gb identical to the ones i have installed and so double the memory?

2 hours ago, Dr Darthell said:

350 was enough power to run the system, if you went VS to VS then no difference.

2 hours ago, Dr Darthell said:

I read that online a lot, my big question was shall i get maybe two new stick of 8 gb 2400hz + or buy another two 4gb identical to the ones i have installed and so double the memory?

Double the memory for sure, 24GB won't do you much good.

Primary PC:

16 hours ago, Fasauceome said:
18 hours ago, Dr Darthell said:

350 was enough power to run the system, if you went VS to VS then no difference

Ok, I did also because i want to upgrade the gpu in the near future and i wanted to be "covered"

16 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Double the memory for sure, 24GB won't do you much good

If i double the stick i already have i would have a total of 16gb, and if i change the sticks i would have the same.. i simply was asking because i don't know if a dual channel memory was faster of a "quad channel memory"

8 hours ago, Dr Darthell said:

Ok, I did also because i want to upgrade the gpu in the near future and i wanted to be "covered"

If you want to upgrade the GPU in the future it's best to have a quality PSU with like 450 watts. That way you can power a GTX 1080 or something. I would never put a high end graphics card on a Corsair VS power supply.

8 hours ago, Dr Darthell said:

If i double the stick i already have i would have a total of 16gb, and if i change the sticks i would have the same.. i simply was asking because i don't know if a dual channel memory was faster of a "quad channel memory"

Since your motherboard doesn't support quad channel memory, it wouldn't provide a benefit to have 4 dimms. It's also easier to reach rated memory speeds with only 2 dimms, so only 2x8GB is usually the ideal configuration.

Primary PC: