Getting Windows to use 10gb link

dual290x

I am not sure if there is already a thread for this.

I have two 10gb nics. One on my Windows 10 pc and the second in my Unraid nas.

I watched Linus' video on 10gb but I do not understand changing the hosts file to tell windows to use the 10gb link.

The NAS is connected to the network via 1gb links but I want to use 10gb as my main link when I am on my Home PC. If you could lend some brain cells I would appreciate it very much.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

I've recently done this in reverse, 2.5Gbit main link and 1Gbit second link to my NAS directly - to spread the load across different shares.

The way I did it was simply setting up a different subnet for the second link and using IP addresses to access the shares.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, BloodKnight7 said:

When you create the separate NAS network dont forget to add the route https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/adding-a-tcpip-route-to-the-windows-routing-table/

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So have different subnet for that 10gbe link, then just use the ips, and forget about hostnames.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The way I did it was simply setting up a different subnet for the second link and using IP addresses to access the shares.

I did two things, I moved the 10gb nic to eth0 in unraid, and gave the 10gb nic on my Home PC the metric 10. I am now getting a little over 700mbs. not bad for ramdisk to nvme ssd that was originally from my lenovo laptop.

@Windows7ge mentioned this and I was able to easily do it. I appreciate the suggestion @BloodKnight7, but I could not figure it out...I'm a little slow. @Electronics Wizardy and @Alex Atkin UK, thank you but I am still trying to understand subnet. I think I understand it but then I see subnet mask and I get confused. If one of you could explain it then I might understand a little better.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

Just now, dual290x said:

thank you but I am still trying to understand subnet. I think I understand it but then I see subnet mask and I get confused. If one of you could explain it then I might understand a little better.

What are the IPs on the different ports?

normally you use a /24 network, so the subnet is for example between 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.255

You could make anouther subnet from 192.168.5.0 to 192.168.5.255 and use that for high speed networking

What IP addresses do the systems have?

One other way to do this is to have one of the systems act as a switch and only connect the other system with a 10gbe connection

Home PC 10gb- 190.180.1.111

NAS 10gb- 190.180.1.110

Everything else is on a 192.168 IP.

ORLY?

On 8/16/2019 at 9:28 PM, dual290x said:

NAS 10gb- 190.180.1.110

First of all, don't use 190 unless you own the ips(you would know if you do). For private networks you should only use 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x

Can you ping the other system with that IP?

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

First of all, don't use 190 unless you own the ips(you would know if you do). For private networks you should only use 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x

Yes this is correct look up peer to peer on youtube I set my pc to 10.10.10.10 and my unRAID server to 10.10.10.20 then mapped shares over that

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

11 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

3 hours ago, mrbilky said:

Yes this is correct look up peer to peer on youtube I set my pc to 10.10.10.10 and my unRAID server to 10.10.10.20 then mapped shares over that

Interesting.

It pinged it just fine and when I mapped a drive through the ip address it worked fine with good speeds.

ORLY?

2 hours ago, dual290x said:

Interesting.

It pinged it just fine and when I mapped a drive through the ip address it worked fine with good speeds.

Using a wrong IP range WILL work, but should you need to access an actual server on the Internet that uses those IP addresses legitimately, you can't as your PC will think its on your LAN.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 8/17/2019 at 12:28 AM, dual290x said:

NAS 10gb- 190.180.1.110

My solution was to put shortcuts on my desktop that specifies the IP i want (and therefore uses the correct card)

Create a new shortcut with \\190.180.1.110\*the folder you want* and repeat for any of your commonly used folders.  For me that is the Deluge completed folder and the ones I commonly move files into

As others have pointed out your IP ranges dont need to be that drastically different.  My main network is all 192.168.1.x while the high speed cards are 192.168.10.x