How to Choose a PSU?

bybrown

Hello everyone,

First of all, i need to say that I am living in Turkey and I don't have much options for PSU, most of the Tier S, Tier A and Tier B PSUs in the Tier List are not available in here and available ones are really expensive.

I am going to buy R5 2600 and GTX1660 with 16 GB DDR4 RAM and M.2 256GB SSD. I chose Phanteks P300 as my case but I got reall confused about PSU. The PSUs that I can afford and popular in here are FPS Hyper K 500-600, FPS Hydro 600 (only Hydro, not G or X), Corsair VS550, Thermaltake Smart RGB 600. They are around 80 $ - 400 TL. I won't OC my CPU or GPU. Can I use one of these PSU or anyone has a recommendation or do I need to buy single 8 GB RAM and pay 120 $ - 650 TL for PSU?

6 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Whatever has the better efficiency rating.

People here get pretty picky with power supplies because instead of making their own research and decisions they rely entirely on what tech influencers say about them before buying anything, and then consider anything else to be housefire tier garbage.

Its a pretty safe bet that if a psu runs cleanly enough to get a 80+ rating at all that it's a pretty ok PSU.

With that being said I suggest the Hyper-K, it's a pretty average FSP offering at a good price.

Thanks a lot for your help, Hyper K is 380 TL, Hydro is 420 TL, 40 TL means 6-7 $ but Hyper K has 80+, Hydro has 80+ Bronze. I can afford both of them easily, you think I should go for Hydro?

At minimum a Corsair CX550 for that system. Anything lower and it will just be a bad purchase. Buying a cheap power supply can end up causing a massive issue if something happens and the Psu kill other components cause ita cheap junk. The tier list is extremely accurate and exists for ease of use. Follow that and you won't have issues. Ignore it at your own risk. 

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

The tier list is extremely accurate and exists for ease of use. 

I would object to that... some placements are really confusing , like the CX in tier B even though it far surpasses the quality of evga GQ, G1+ , be quiet pure power 11/10 all in tier A... and the cxm/system power 9 in the same tier as CX , quite laughable tbh...

13 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Its a pretty safe bet that if a psu runs cleanly enough to get a 80+ rating at all that it's a pretty ok PSU

What? Definitely not. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, hello_there_123 said:

I would object to that... some placements are really confusing , like the CX in tier B even though it far surpasses the quality of evga GQ, G1+ , be quiet pure power 11/10 all in tier A... and the cxm/system power 9 in the same tier as CX , quite laughable tbh...

Any data to back up your claims?

25 minutes ago, bybrown said:

Hello everyone,

First of all, i need to say that I am living in Turkey and I don't have much options for PSU, most of the Tier S, Tier A and Tier B PSUs in the Tier List are not available in here and available ones are really expensive.

I am going to buy R5 2600 and GTX1660 with 16 GB DDR4 RAM and M.2 256GB SSD. I chose Phanteks P300 as my case but I got reall confused about PSU. The PSUs that I can afford and popular in here are FPS Hyper K 500-600, FPS Hydro 600 (only Hydro, not G or X), Corsair VS550, Thermaltake Smart RGB 600. They are around 80 $ - 400 TL. I won't OC my CPU or GPU. Can I use one of these PSU or anyone has a recommendation or do I need to buy single 8 GB RAM and pay 120 $ - 650 TL for PSU?

Hydro 600 is the only usable one out of those listed and even then it's not really good. I'd strongly suggest saving up a bit more for an actually good power supply. It's the heart of your system and the longevity of everything else depends on it providing clean power.

11 minutes ago, bybrown said:

Thanks a lot for your help, Hyper K is 380 TL, Hydro is 420 TL, 40 TL means 6-7 $ but Hyper K has 80+, Hydro has 80+ Bronze. I can afford both of them easily, you think I should go for Hydro?

80+ doesn't mean anything - even cheap garbage that kills systems can get 80+ Bronze or Silver. Judge by reviews from qualified professionals like JohnyGURU and the likes. Not the rating.

4 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

The world runs on crappy oem power supplies, the 80+ tags at least imply a psu was tested to not be complete crap

That's not what it implies, it means only that it runs at a certain efficiency level. Diablotek and raidmax units are utter garbage with 80+ ratings.

Most AM4 boards on the market are A320, Most Intel boards are H310

Excluding OEM solutions for simple web browsing desktops, this is absolutely not true.

it's a pretty safe bet that most people are running mediocre at best power supplies.

Again, probably because of those OEM systems.

I used to think a cheap power supply was A-OK, then my brother's blew up and took his motherboard with it. Sure some people are okay with that risk, I'm not and I encourage others to have higher standards as well, because everyone thinks they're fine with gambling until they lose the gamble.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

The world runs on crappy oem power supplies, the 80+ tags at least imply a psu was tested to not be complete crap.

The only reason we would consider some options bad is because there are entirely overkill, overengineered options out there that are drastically better.

The psu discussions here are getting super out of hand, it's a problem on many pc tech forums where people don't realize that the majority of people are running low end options and it's working fine for them. Most AM4 boards on the market are A320, Most Intel boards are H310, the average ddr4 ram speed is 2400mhz and it's a pretty safe bet that most people are running mediocre at best power supplies.

You gotta be realistic with the average user, not everyone can get a CXm of some kind nor do they really need it.

So just because someone else is using a fire hazard power supply, we should be recommending cheap junk that can set the house on fire? WHAT?

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Well , jonnyguru seems to think that the CX is superior to pure power10/11... http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16662-cx550-2017-vs-pure-power-10-500w

And as for the G1+/GQ , they are based off similar ACRF raider II platform to the pure power 10/11 , but have multiple problems of their own... being that G1+ has very bad minor rail transients , extremely high set OPP , and a bad power_ok  signal... 

And GQ tends to be quite loud on high load , and bad minor rail transients , which is what ACRF topology usually brings you unfortunately... 

2 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

The world runs on crappy oem power supplies, the 80+ tags at least imply a psu was tested to not be complete crap.

The only reason we would consider some options bad is because there are entirely overkill, overengineered options out there that are drastically better.

The psu discussions here are getting super out of hand, it's a problem on many pc tech forums where people don't realize that the majority of people are running low end options and it's working fine for them. Most AM4 boards on the market are A320, Most Intel boards are H310, the average ddr4 ram speed is 2400mhz and it's a pretty safe bet that most people are running mediocre at best power supplies.

You gotta be realistic with the average user, not everyone can get a CXm of some kind nor do they really need it.

youre kinda saying its okay to say buy a crappy PSU its fine just like office PSU's its been out there for years but the question is everything else inside a PSU have a rating durability etc what happen when you push something to the limit very often it break so thats why a good PSU is more favorable here especially for a gaming PC, if its only a athlon 200ge sure get a shitty PSU idc but a freaking PC that cost like 1000usd just for a 50usd PSU that can make it safer of course i would take a better one

Well , jonnyguru seems to think that the CX is superior to pure power10/11... http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16662-cx550-2017-vs-pure-power-10-500w

And as for the G1+/GQ , they are based off similar ACRF raider II platform to the pure power 10/11 , but have multiple problems of their own... being that G1+ has very bad minor rail transients , extremely high set OPP , and a bad power_ok  signal... 

And GQ tends to be quite loud on high load , and bad minor rail transients , which is what ACRF topology usually brings you unfortunately... 

Those aren't differences that can equate to a whole new tier. Maybe one is a touch better than the other but to classify it in a different tier just because of that is not reasonable imo.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Those aren't differences that can equate to a whole new tier. Maybe one is a touch better than the other but to classify it in a different tier just because of that is not reasonable imo.

The GQ , G1+ , pure power 10/11 are a tier ABOVE the cx! 

And , imo , just the primary topology half bridge LLC vs acrf should get some recognition... like a new tier 

Just now, Genwyn said:

PSU failure is insanely rare with any name brand modern unit and the idea that they can set your house on fire is sensationalist garbage. 

>inb4 2-3 news articles of evga psus setting people's houses on fire

I've had multiple cheapo junk units fail on me AND kill components. One even blew magic smoke. Not a fire but we definitely almost called 112 in the office. Trust me, PSU failure rates on GOOD units are low. On crap units - it's sky-high. Making noise about it is the only way to get companies to improve.

The GQ , G1+ , pure power 10/11 are a tier ABOVE the cx! 

I wasn't talking about the comparison to the CX - let me clarify - the CX is an average platform that is being phased out in favour of the Vengence SIlver - it's dated and needs an update - one that already exists. But it's better that the cheap junk in the OP's post and almost universally available. Hence why I tend to recommend it. For ultra-budget situations, a DA500 would work okay.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

I wasn't talking about the comparison to the CX - let me clarify - the CX is an average platform that is being phased out in favour of the Vengence SIlver - it's dated and needs an update - one that already exists. But it's better that the cheap junk in the OP's post and almost universally available. Hence why I tend to recommend it. For ultra-budget situations, a DA500 would work okay.

@jonnyGURU , can you confirm that the CX is currently being phased out in favor of the vengeance silver ? Because last i heard , the vengeance silver was taken out of the market , because cxm/txm were selling so well...

Just now, hello_there_123 said:

@jonnyGURU , can you confirm that the CX is currently being phased out in favor of the vengeance silver ? Because last i heard , the vengeance silver was taken out of the market , because cxm/txm were selling so well...

They're selling well but the Vengence Silver was specifically introduced to update the CX(M) from what I've read.

28 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

They're selling well but the Vengence Silver was specifically introduced to update the CX(M) from what I've read.

People need to start learning that cxm is in no way similar to CX , just because they have similar model names... cxm is a lot worse

35 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

34 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You read incorrectly.

The Vengeance fills a gap between Bronze and Gold. 

It was originally developed for Germany specifically because retailers thought that "Japanese Capacitors" was a big selling point.  It was upgraded to Silver because the Bronze market so saturated with PSUs; including garbage that isn't even Bronze rated and just have fake badges.  

Vengeance is MUCH BETTER than CX-M (but only slightly better than CX), but it does not REPLACE CX-M.

CX-M does need an update/upgrade, but the cost adder to move it from DF to LLC is too expensive.  So while CX-M isn't getting an update any time soon, it is NOT EOL and it is NOT replaced by Vengeance.

8 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

People need to start learning that cxm is in no way similar to CX , just because they have similar model names... cxm is a lot worse

Correct.  Trading off the cost of modularity (the extra PCB, the extra connectors, etc.) for a better platform netted around the same cost.  So it was doable.  But every attempt to make "today's" CX into a semi-modular PSU is shot down with "it costs too much".

42 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yeah.. If you don't even know the difference between CX, CX-M and Vengeance, you probably should limit commenting on them.  ?

Vengeance > CX > CX-M.

CX-M is the older platform that needs phasing out (but, as I already said, isn't going anywhere).

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.. If you don't even know the difference between CX, CX-M and Vengeance, you probably should limit commenting on them.  ?

Vengeance > CX > CX-M.

CX-M is the older platform that needs phasing out (but, as I already said, isn't going anywhere).

I never lcaimed CX and CXM are the same.

As for the Vengece - a local tech news outlet ran that story when the Vengence came out and claimed it would replace the CX and CXM both. Perhaps they misunderstood a press release, I don't know

33 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I never lcaimed CX and CXM are the same.

In your post, you specifically said "CX". 

If you meant CX-M, you should say CX-M. ?

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

In your post, you specifically said "CX". 

If you meant CX-M, you should say CX-M. ?

Point taken :D

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

At minimum a Corsair CX550 for that system. Anything lower and it will just be a bad purchase. Buying a cheap power supply can end up causing a massive issue if something happens and the Psu kill other components cause ita cheap junk. The tier list is extremely accurate and exists for ease of use. Follow that and you won't have issues. Ignore it at your own risk. 

4 hours ago, Genwyn said:

The hydro would be a better option, I'm not sure why I didn't see it when I first read the options. It would be worth the small extra cost for the better efficiency and as such, lower heat and noise output.

FSP's direct front end power supplies are pretty decent from my personal experience. 

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Hydro 600 is the only usable one out of those listed and even then it's not really good. I'd strongly suggest saving up a bit more for an actually good power supply. It's the heart of your system and the longevity of everything else depends on it providing clean power.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You read incorrectly.

The Vengeance fills a gap between Bronze and Gold. 

It was originally developed for Germany specifically because retailers thought that "Japanese Capacitors" was a big selling point.  It was upgraded to Silver because the Bronze market so saturated with PSUs; including garbage that isn't even Bronze rated and just have fake badges.  

Vengeance is MUCH BETTER than CX-M (but only slightly better than CX), but it does not REPLACE CX-M.

CX-M does need an update/upgrade, but the cost adder to move it from DF to LLC is too expensive.  So while CX-M isn't getting an update any time soon, it is NOT EOL and it is NOT replaced by Vengeance.

Correct.  Trading off the cost of modularity (the extra PCB, the extra connectors, etc.) for a better platform netted around the same cost.  So it was doable.  But every attempt to make "today's" CX into a semi-modular PSU is shot down with "it costs too much".

Okey, I will summarize my situation and will want a final suggestion from all of you. First of all, I would really want to buy a CX550 and that would make me happy, but unfortunately it is not available in Turkey. As I sad before, most of Tier A+, Tier A and Tier B PSUs are not available too. We don't have good Evga models here, just the cheap ones. We don't have any of the Rosewill, Sama, Antec, XFX and many more. SeaSonic, Thermaltake, Silverstone, Corsair (TX and RX series available), Cooler Master, FSP are almost DOUBLE priced in here. To make it clear, they have same price as the CPU that I am going to buy. It looks like unreasonable a bit to me. And the local forums, people says, for ex. 'VS550 is a really good PSU' or 'I am using Hyper K 600 for 2 years and it is great'. Lots of people is using them in here and there is not bad comments. There is plenty of users of PSUs that many of you label as a 'garbage'. What do I need to do? If you say 'you need to buy a PSU from Tier A+, A or B, the best option for me is FSP Dagger 600W 80+ Gold SFX, it is the only PSU that has same price in USA.

25 minutes ago, bybrown said:

Okey, I will summarize my situation and will want a final suggestion from all of you. First of all, I would really want to buy a CX550 and that would make me happy, but unfortunately it is not available in Turkey. As I sad before, most of Tier A+, Tier A and Tier B PSUs are not available too. We don't have good Evga models here, just the cheap ones. We don't have any of the Rosewill, Sama, Antec, XFX and many more. SeaSonic, Thermaltake, Silverstone, Corsair (TX and RX series available), Cooler Master, FSP are almost DOUBLE priced in here. To make it clear, they have same price as the CPU that I am going to buy. It looks like unreasonable a bit to me. And the local forums, people says, for ex. 'VS550 is a really good PSU' or 'I am using Hyper K 600 for 2 years and it is great'. Lots of people is using them in here and there is not bad comments. There is plenty of users of PSUs that many of you label as a 'garbage'. What do I need to do? If you say 'you need to buy a PSU from Tier A+, A or B, the best option for me is FSP Dagger 600W 80+ Gold SFX, it is the only PSU that has same price in USA.

The only option you have out of those is really the Hydro K 600 and that's just barely acceptable imo.