Plex is killing support for HTPC!

Hi,

So just would like to inform the HTPC community that Plex have decided to no longer support the TV layout and then eventually their Desktop media Player.

This is some deverstating news.

Would like to hear the community's thought about this bold move by Plex.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

They've put out a new app that only uses the desktop mode. The TV mode sucks anyways. If you have a HTPC, the assumption I'm going with is you have a mouse and keyboard and the desktop layout is significantly better for that, especially with the new UI.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 8/16/2019 at 6:27 AM, Strayan_Hades said:

Hi,

So just would like to inform the HTPC community that Plex have decided to no longer support the TV layout and then eventually their Desktop media Player.

This is some deverstating news.

Would like to hear the community's thought about this bold move by Plex.

Cheers.

Why do you need an HTPC if your using Plex? I mean you just stream from the Plex server. The only reason I can see using an HTPC is if you have Steam installed and like to play games on your TV. Besides that your better off getting a streaming stick and letting Plex do its thing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Why do you need an HTPC if your using Plex? I mean you just stream from the Plex server. The only reason I can see using an HTPC is if you have Steam installed and like to play games on your TV. Besides that your better off getting a streaming stick and letting Plex do its thing. 

To have the full Plex experience on the television without having to go through another device to initiate the streaming. You can also be wired into your home network, meaning you avoid the hiccups that can come with wireless, especially if you're trying to stream full-quality BR rips.

In my setup, I had the Plex Media Player for Raspberry Pi. But they stopped updating that quite a while ago. It worked better than the Plex app for the PS3 or XB360 in my experience, and now I'll likely look at an Android setup on the Pi. Once I'm done with the move, that is.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

6 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

can also be wired into your home network, meaning you avoid the hiccups that can come with wireless,

Roku has a 4K box that can be wired. Ive also noticed that Plex runs a bit better on Roku, well at least the 4K sticks. So it should run like a champ on the box thru Ethernet. Also, most of my content is 480p, 720p if its OTA TV. I have yet to get a Bluray drive to digitize my small Bluray library. Also, Wireless AC seems to work fine, dont get much hick ups. Most hick ups are the shitty indoor OTA antenna I use. Which will be upgraded eventually. 

10 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

w I'll likely look at an Android setup on the Pi. Once I'm done with the move, that is.

Please post the results of that. I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+, that I was going to use for Pi Hole, but couldnt get it to work. So this could be a cool project for it. Thats if I dont get a Roku box that is. 

11 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

t worked better than the Plex app for the PS3 or XB360 in my experience,

I think Plex has crappy support on consoles. Because a lot of what I was reading about the XBone, was the same, crappy support and bugs. On the second gen fire stick ist slow, though not too unbearable. On the Roku 4K sticks it seems to be faster. I can scroll thru Live TV guide very fast, something I cant do on the Fire Stick. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

here is the actual blog post

https://www.plex.tv/blog/desktop-af/

along with an updated forum post from the CEO

https://forums.plex.tv/t/killing-pmp/446526/825

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Also, Wireless AC seems to work fine, dont get much hick ups

Try to stream full-quality BR and then talk to me. 1080p BR rips were having issues. I don't have any 4K displays, but I imagine the issue would only be exacerbated trying to stream a full-quality 4KBR rip across wireless.

21 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+

That's what I'm working with as well. If I remember I'll post the results. I had a Roku a long while ago, the first HD model actually, for streaming Netflix. When the PS3 got the Netflix app, there was no need to keep the Roku around. The original Pi worked well enough for most 1080p files, but chokes on the BR quality stuff simply due to the bitrate. I'd use a Pi4 for the GbE, but my experience so far is the 100Mbps is enough bandwidth to stream 1080p. 4K on the other hand would need the Pi4, not just for the 4K but the GbE as well to ensure enough bandwidth.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6