Ryzen 5 3600 + PBO

Pleo

Guys,

How do you enable PBO on a ryzen 5 3600 with Ryzen Master? When I enable it in the program, click on save. It seems like its working. When I reboot however, I have to manually change it to PBO again. Is there a motherboard feature for this? I can't find it on my MSI B450 Tomahawk. Or is it described differently in BIOS? 

Also, is it smart/nescessary to enable PBO for a non-x ryzen? Cooling with an hyper 212 evo RGB black edition with a decent airflow case (Cooler master Mastercase H500) So temp's shouldn't really be an issue.

Using Ryzen Balanced power plan + AMD Cool 'n Quiet.

Thanks! Any tips will be highly appreciated. 

Yes, PBO and XFR will give you better results than most manual settings can. Tighten memory timings a bit and you're golden.

Just now, 5x5 said:

Yes, PBO and XFR will give you better results than most manual settings can. Tighten memory timings a bit and you're golden.

XFR = a bios setting that you just enable? Also do you know what PBO is called in MSI bios? And what do you mean by tighten memory timings. I've never touched memory speeds/timings in my life. Just got a new rig. 

4 minutes ago, Pleo said:

XFR = a bios setting that you just enable? Also do you know what PBO is called in MSI bios? And what do you mean by tighten memory timings. I've never touched memory speeds/timings in my life. Just got a new rig. 

Watch the latest LTT video about Ryzen and timings. As for options in your bios, read the MSI manual provided in the box and update the bios before you do anything whatsoever. Updating is ALWAYS done through a usb stick on a bios level. 

PBO + XFR/AutoOC did nothing on my 3600. I got a whopping 75MHz, sometimes, in synthetics like cinebench, while scores in 3dmark were substantially lower. Interestingly, my 3600 seems to run at 4.1-4.2 all core stock, which seems odd.

To enable it though, I had to update my motherboard bios (X570 Strix-E) to the newest revision, as the version it shipped with didn't have any of the AMD Overclocking submenus active. After doing that, updating the AMD Chipset drivers, enabling the Ryzen power plan, then reinstalling Ryzen Master worked better. For me though, that program has been super crashy and a fair bit of simultaneous head patting and belly rubbing while the moon is in retrograde behind venus is needed for it to work.

I ended up just leaving the CPU stock, setting memory to XMP, and called it a day. Once I'm back from traveling I'll tinker with it more per @GabenJr's guidance in the latest pair of AMD videos. I'm not expecting miracles from the 3600, but the plan is to learn so that I can drop in the 3950X later this year.

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

PBO + XFR/AutoOC did nothing on my 3600. I got a whopping 75MHz, sometimes, in synthetics like cinebench, while scores in 3dmark were substantially lower.

To enable it though, I had to update my motherboard bios (X570 Strix-E) to the newest revision, as the version it shipped with didn't have any of the AMD Overclocking submenus active. After doing that, updating the AMD Chipset drivers, enabling the Ryzen power plan, then reinstall Ryzen Master and see if it works better. For me, that program has been super crashy and a fair bit of simultaneous head patting and belly rubbing while the moon is in retrograde behind venus is needed for it to work.

I ended up just leaving the CPU stock, setting memory to XMP, and called it a day. Once I'm back from traveling I'll tinker with it more per @GabenJr's guidance in the latest pair of AMD videos. I'm not expecting miracles from the 3600, but the plan is to learn so that I can drop in the 3950X later this year.

So you're saying PBO did nothing for you (in terms of performance)?

Just now, Pleo said:

I'm asking because, on paper it says ryzen 5 3600 boosts to 4.2 Mhz. Mine only goes up to 4074.

Just now, Pleo said:

I'm asking because, on paper it says ryzen 5 3600 boosts to 4.2 Mhz. Mine only goes up to 4074.

This is with ryzen balanced power plan, XMP enabled, AMD cool 'n quiet

Just now, Pleo said:

Nothing I could subjectively feel, and objectively had mixed results. Cinebench scores went trivially up. 3dmark scores went trivially down. Net result....eh. More tinkering is needed but I'd say I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by PBO.

To be clear though: I actually don't mind this. I like that the chip's base performance is pretty close to the maximum possible. It's still early days for the platform so PBO/etc may improve anyway.