Fan Flow - Noctua 140s and 120s

datkern

I decided to change my current Noctua Fans for upgraded Noctua case fans and need some suggestions in terms of optimized cooling air flow. I purchased 4x 140mm NF A-14 PWM and 1x 120mm NF A-12x25 PWM fans.

My current airflow is intake cooling from both front and rear of case with exhaust at top since heat rises. I have a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler that has 2x 140mm NF A-15 fans on it with fans flowing in the same flow as my intake from the rear which I believe is using push pull config.

I plan to put my new fans as 2x 140mm on top as exhaust, the other 2x 140s on front as intake and the 1x 120 on rear as intake so same setup.

Do you think this allows for optimized cooling/air flow or would you recommend trying any other setups?

My specs:

- Fractal Meshify C case

- i9 9900k CPU

- EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 GPU

Thanks in advance!

No, that's bad airflow setup. 

The default setup is: 

Front - intake

Bottom (if available) - intake

Side (if available) - intake

Top - exhaust

Back - exhaust

The CPU fans should pull air from the front and push it out the back (hence why the back fan should be exhaust). 

Also, you can apparently mount a fan to the bottom of the case. That might help with GPU cooling. But I think you have to remove the HDD cage for that? 

With a D15 mounted in the normal orientation, which due to its size is the only logical orientation, you should have the rear 120mm case fan as exhaust.

Top fans as exhaust

Front fans intake

And as said above if u have any other additional spots open like side, and bottom, you can also have those as intake. I beleve the Meshify C has a single fan mount spot at the bottom  of the case towards the front.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, Rhoban said:

No, that's bad airflow setup. 

The default setup is: 

Front - intake

Bottom (if available) - intake

Side (if available) - intake

Top - exhaust

Back - exhaust

The CPU fans should pull air from the front and push it out the back (hence why the back fan should be exhaust). 

Also, you can apparently mount a fan to the bottom of the case. That might help with GPU cooling. But I think you have to remove the HDD cage for that? 

Thank you for this!

I will make those adjustments when the new fans come in.

I have seen people attach fans directly to the GPU using hooks but I would probably prefer to mount them on the case so I’ll look into that.

One thing to add. Forget hot air rising thing. Thats only factor when there nothing moving air. In PC case you have mostly fans moving air around. Hot pockets of air are thing you may need to watch for. These are spaces in the case which are out of range for all of the fans. Usually they don't matter that much, but near drives or other components which aren't actively cooled they can raise temp.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, datkern said:

I have seen people attach fans directly to the GPU using hooks but I would probably prefer to mount them on the case so I’ll look into that.

To do that you'd have to remove the stock fans from the GPU. 

Or you could use this thing, but then you'd have to remove the entire heatsink from the GPU. 

https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=46

I have this on my GTX 1080Ti and temperatures have gone down 10°C (reaches 60°C max with an ambient of about 30°C) and now it makes less noise as well.