Is the Oculus Rift S Good?

Random_User

I recently built my first PC and am looking to buy a VR headset (on a related note, let me know if you're interested in buying a PSVR headset). I know that all of the tracking for the Rift S is done internally and I've heard some reports that it's not always great. Does anyone here have any experience with it or have a recommendation for a different headset?

I don't think PSVR is too great, it's a bit limited in terms of capability and modding etc. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any first-hand experience with the Rift S, I can tell you for certain that I've been using the Rift (consumer, original model) for about a year and a half; it's been wondrous. Truly a fantastic experience. The Rift S has a 80Hz refresh rate while the Rift has 90Hz, honestly, I'm a w***re for high refresh rates over visuals so I'd happily take the Rift over Rift S. 

(Again, I don't know if this is true) I'd imagine that since it does the tracking internally, it would likely be slightly heavier - so that's always something to think about. Usually, it's not too big a deal with the correct adjustments on straps and stuff. 

Final thoughts: Whichever one you get, you will be astonished, and for me - that excitement hasn't gone away. Being dragged from the real-world into a virtual one is something that makes you giggle (at least the first time). You'll enjoy it, no matter what. The HTC Vive, I've heard good things but the controllers always seemed bulky to me (I've not tried one so I can't say anything) but I've heard that it's good too, and you only need 2 tracking stations instead of 3 that you would need for the Oculus Rift room-scale tracking. 

19 hours ago, vK 3 1 RON said:

I don't think PSVR is too great, it's a bit limited in terms of capability and modding etc. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any first-hand experience with the Rift S, I can tell you for certain that I've been using the Rift (consumer, original model) for about a year and a half; it's been wondrous. Truly a fantastic experience. The Rift S has a 80Hz refresh rate while the Rift has 90Hz, honestly, I'm a w***re for high refresh rates over visuals so I'd happily take the Rift over Rift S. 

(Again, I don't know if this is true) I'd imagine that since it does the tracking internally, it would likely be slightly heavier - so that's always something to think about. Usually, it's not too big a deal with the correct adjustments on straps and stuff. 

Final thoughts: Whichever one you get, you will be astonished, and for me - that excitement hasn't gone away. Being dragged from the real-world into a virtual one is something that makes you giggle (at least the first time). You'll enjoy it, no matter what. The HTC Vive, I've heard good things but the controllers always seemed bulky to me (I've not tried one so I can't say anything) but I've heard that it's good too, and you only need 2 tracking stations instead of 3 that you would need for the Oculus Rift room-scale tracking. 

Thanks for the info! The 80Hz display of the S vs the 90Hz display of the original was also another reason I was hesitant to purchase it. Also, since it has a single LCD display instead of OLED displays like the original has I've heard that black colors look a bit grey when in dark areas in game because of the backlight. I guess everything has its pros and cons. I'll probably end up getting it because the area I have to play in doesn't have good areas to place the sensors so internal tracking is a plus. I have the PSVR now and it's a blast to play but it's definitely not great compared to other headsets (low resolution, low FOV, not amazing tracking, etc.)

From what I've seen, the rift S is probably the best choice as of now for PC powered vr because it doesn't have external tracking devices. A friend of mine has the Oculus quest so he let me try it, and it was freaking awesome! The quest has a 72Hz refresh rate, and honestly, It wasn't a big deal at all, so The rift s should be perfectly fine.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

On 8/14/2019 at 12:48 PM, TrainFan2019 said:

From what I've seen, the rift S is probably the best choice as of now for PC powered vr because it doesn't have external tracking devices. A friend of mine has the Oculus quest so he let me try it, and it was freaking awesome! The quest has a 72Hz refresh rate, and honestly, It wasn't a big deal at all, so The rift s should be perfectly fine.

I ended up buying it a couple nights ago. I have liked it but the thing I am a bit disappointed with is the FOV. On paper it has a considerably larger FOV than the PSVR but when using it it doesn't feel like it because your eyes are further from the lenses. It wasn't really the upgrade I was expecting but it's still super fun to use.