Gaming Headset setup for eSports and good music

Farukh Khan

Hello Guys,

Recently I bought a Gaming Laptop for eSports First person competitive gaming purpose and the convenience of using it in uni life. Now to complete my competitive gear setup, I am looking to buy a brand new headphone setup. Apart from being a professional esports gamer, I am also passionate about music. So, basically I want to find an audio system which will provide me the best fidelity, comfort and convenience in terms of long gaming sessions and also a good music hearing experience. My preference would be to get something wireless. My budget is 500 US dollars for this setup. So far with my research I found some good gaming headsets and DAC+Amp implementation done by pro gamers but am kinda confused to which route I should go.

So I found some combos like, the HyperX Cloud Flight with Sennheiser GSX 1000. Which will allow me to use the hyperx wirelessly while gaming and then connect it with the sennheiser amp+dac when listening to music on leisure. But the impedance of the hyperx headphone is only 32 Ohm which is within the range specified in the sennheiser gsx 1000 datasheet. I am not really sure how much improved audio will I get by pairing the hyperx cloud flight with sennheiser gsx 1000. Also, one disadvantage of this setup would be the incompatibility with smartphones.

Another combo I found is the steelseries arctis pro wireless which supports both bluetooth and 2.4ghz wireless system and also has a 3.5mm jack in the headphone to connect it to the sennheiser gsx 1000 for music time. This headphone is also 32 ohm in regards to the impedance.

Please suggest me which combo I should go for or suggest any other combo which you guys think would be best suited for my needs in my budget.

Thank You.

wireless headphones plugged in sound pretty much like trash.  get a good wired heaaphone and a good wireless one for when your on the go. aDAC amp does pretty much nothing to make a headphone good for musci the amp dac just provides a clean and powerful source. the headphone you plug it in makes the music sound good.  a much better setup. for $500 for gaming and music a hd 58x, dt 770 , or dt 990, or one mnore triple drivers.  all under $160 all great for music and gaming. . plus a maybe a SDAC/ O2 combo from massdrop as your dac amp for $150, a hd 4.40 for on the go music on the go if you want to use wireless which is about $!00. 

also the gsx 1000 isn't very poiwer ful and for a mic get a blue snowball or a modmic. thats personally what I would do.

Thanks a lot for these really good suggestions @rice guru

First of all, I was really drawn towards the sennheiser gsx 1000 DAC+AMP because of the aesthetics it will bring to a gaming setup. That display with gesture power on just looks kinda cool to be honest. And the impedance range is also within 16 ohm to 150 ohm which seems normal. On the other hand, the massdrop O2 + DAC is kinda normal looking but packs a good punch of support till 600 ohm of impedance. Now am confused, should I go for the aesthetics or the extra juice xD

The headphones you suggested seems pretty good to me. Probably I will go with one of them. But is there any other option which provides high impedance quality sounding headphones with wireless capability? So, that I have the convenience of using only one headphone rather than 2 or 3 headphones for multiple purposes. I like the convenience of wireless gaming headset compared to wired one. For music I can go with wired.

5 hours ago, Farukh Khan said:

Thanks a lot for these really good suggestions @rice guru

First of all, I was really drawn towards the sennheiser gsx 1000 DAC+AMP because of the aesthetics it will bring to a gaming setup. That display with gesture power on just looks kinda cool to be honest. And the impedance range is also within 16 ohm to 150 ohm which seems normal. On the other hand, the massdrop O2 + DAC is kinda normal looking but packs a good punch of support till 600 ohm of impedance. Now am confused, should I go for the aesthetics or the extra juice xD

The headphones you suggested seems pretty good to me. Probably I will go with one of them. But is there any other option which provides high impedance quality sounding headphones with wireless capability? So, that I have the convenience of using only one headphone rather than 2 or 3 headphones for multiple purposes. I like the convenience of wireless gaming headset compared to wired one. For music I can go with wired.

The 150 ohms is basically nothing most modern motherboards supports that. More juice opens you up to better headphones like the he 4xx or the DT 990. The DT 990 is a really common headphone used by pros very good for gaming as it has some of the best in class imaging and very wide soundstage.

every wireless headphone don't sound very good wired and like I said just because you plugged a headphone on to a dac doesn't mean it will make it sound any better.

Not a pro gamer or anything but I do record some and listen to a lot of music. I use studio style iso headphones and a mod mic for gaming. 

I use reaper to gate the mic and eq the rf/noise my computer seems to love to put into my mic.

The mod mic 5 has a magnetic mount that lets you take it off easy when you don't need it.

For an Audio interface Focusrite makes decent stuff. Rme makes better. Really depends on what you are doing with it and what you need. 

On 8/13/2019 at 7:59 PM, JabroniBaloney said:

You're a pro gamer, at least according to yourself, shouldn't you just go for the best performance instead of what looks best? 

Yes that's kinda true but looks is also a deciding factor in what I am keeping around my desk or maybe carrying around. Having said that, I am not really into RGB, but just classic modern looking stuff is what I really fall towards.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:57 PM, rice guru said:

The 150 ohms is basically nothing most modern motherboards supports that. More juice opens you up to better headphones like the he 4xx or the DT 990. The DT 990 is a really common headphone used by pros very good for gaming as it has some of the best in class imaging and very wide soundstage.

every wireless headphone don't sound very good wired and like I said just because you plugged a headphone on to a dac doesn't mean it will make it sound any better.

Understood. Can you suggest me an aesthetically good looking DAC+AMP which supports high impedance like the O2 from massdrop? Also a good brand like sennheiser(german) making the product?

On 8/14/2019 at 1:48 AM, unlimitedsparky said:

Not a pro gamer or anything but I do record some and listen to a lot of music. I use studio style iso headphones and a mod mic for gaming. 

I use reaper to gate the mic and eq the rf/noise my computer seems to love to put into my mic.

The mod mic 5 has a magnetic mount that lets you take it off easy when you don't need it.

For an Audio interface Focusrite makes decent stuff. Rme makes better. Really depends on what you are doing with it and what you need. 

Having a good mic is not my first priority here. Because I don't produce creative content which will use mic. I will probably only use the mic for discord and teamspeak for competitive gaming. So, if possible suggest some good DAC+AMP from renowned audiophile brands for better gaming and music quality.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Farukh Khan said:

Understood. Can you suggest me an aesthetically good looking DAC+AMP which supports high impedance like the O2 from massdrop? Also a good brand like sennheiser(german) making the product?

I can't really give you anything. as the under $200 market th echinese really do thrive but the 02 sdac is made in china but designed by americans.. maybea schiit fulla 2?or a jds labs atom or monoprice liquid spark plus a topping d10 , but that depends if something like this is aesthetically pleasing enough for you

IMG_20190814_232419.jpg

20 hours ago, rice guru said:

I can't really give you anything. as the under $200 market th echinese really do thrive but the 02 sdac is made in china but designed by americans.. maybea schiit fulla 2?or a jds labs atom or monoprice liquid spark plus a topping d10 , but that depends if something like this is aesthetically pleasing enough for you

IMG_20190814_232419.jpg

Thank for the other suggestions. I will go with the Atom AMP and DT 770 PRO 250ohm for the gaming and music setup then. Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions and help. Really appreciate it.